Horusbennu tripods?

harnamsc

Mar 15, 2008
Singapore / Melbourne
Greetings to all,

Opening this thread to ask for opinions about the HorusBennu range of carbon-fiber tripods as there aren't many reviews about them. I'm interested in buying the C-2540T tripod from eBay, but have doubts about the build quality and stability of the tripod when compared to other brands like Manfrotto and Benro. If anyone has used or owned a HorusBennu tripod please share your experiences and opinions here.

HorusBennu is pure marketing company based in Korea. They source all their products from factories in China. There is also very strong evidence that suggests that the factory manufacturing the tripods and heads for them is none other than Triopo.

IMHO, personally, I would go for Sirui tripods. Around the same price, you get a local agent (TK Foto) and you get 6 years warranty. And I think Sirui are made pretty darn good, much better than Triopo.

Last edited:
Whats your experience when using Sirui tripods might I ask? Do the legs wobble when fully extended or is it pretty stable?

harnamsc said:
Whats your experience when using Sirui tripods might I ask? Do the legs wobble when fully extended or is it pretty stable?

Sirui is good. No wobble legs at all.

For the head, better to take g20 and above. G10 is abit too small

Sirui tripods are pretty stable. I recommend the T-2204x, R-2204 or N-2204.

It is best for you to just make a trip to Funan 2nd floor, and try out the pods there in TK Foto.

Er, if I was still in Singapore then yes I could, but if you refer to my signature I'm in Melbourne at the moment hence my buying the tripod from eBay. :)

What are your requirements? ie, what are your "must haves" in a tripod? And the budget?

Requirements for the tripod are as follows:
1) Min extended height around 150cm, prefer 165cm if possible
2) Sturdy legs that won't wobble noticeably when fully extended
3) Hook for hanging weights, winter in Australia means strong winds when shooting outdoors
4) Clasps and not twist-locks on the segments as I've had blisters from my Benro tripod after one whole day of deploying/keeping the tripod while on a road-trip
5) Lightweight

Optional but not essential:
1) Folded length of 19 inches
2) Able to change the feet of the tripod from normal to spiked when desired

Budget-wise I'm looking at US$300 or lower.

Requirements for the tripod are as follows:
1) Min extended height around 150cm, prefer 165cm if possible
2) Sturdy legs that won't wobble noticeably when fully extended
3) Hook for hanging weights, winter in Australia means strong winds when shooting outdoors
4) Clasps and not twist-locks on the segments as I've had blisters from my Benro tripod after one whole day of deploying/keeping the tripod while on a road-trip
5) Lightweight

Optional but not essential:
1) Folded length of 19 inches
2) Able to change the feet of the tripod from normal to spiked when desired

Budget-wise I'm looking at US$300 or lower.

Actually looking at your requirements of the folded height and clip locks. Horusbennu seems to be your only choice.

Personally I really dislike clip locks due to the many problems they give.
1) Over time the grip will loosen, so you need to be able to tighten the screws
2) clips break from time to time
3) clip system will come with screws and nuts on the assembly. And when those elements touch water (or worse still, sea water), they give problems. Twist locks usually do not contain metal components and all they need is some cleaning.
4) twist locks are a lot quicker to deploy, especially the newer ones. And they are not that tight if you do not over tighten them.

Hmmm, well if that's the case then do you know of any twist lock tripods that have softer grips? The Benro tripods have a hard rubber that is slightly sticky hence prolonged usage wears the skin. I will definitely be shooting around coastal areas and maybe waterfalls so I don't want my tripod to rust over time.

Hmmm, well if that's the case then do you know of any twist lock tripods that have softer grips? The Benro tripods have a hard rubber that is slightly sticky hence prolonged usage wears the skin. I will definitely be shooting around coastal areas and maybe waterfalls so I don't want my tripod to rust over time.

Hmm how come I never had that problem with my previous Benro, its easy to grip and turn, no problem at all.

If going for a photoshoot yup there's no problem, but during my previous roadtrips when we were stopping every few hours for photography, that was when the blistering began. Worse for me since I'm usually the driver or one of the drivers so the blistering did not help when I had to spend the rest of the day gripping the steering wheel. :(

If going for a photoshoot yup there's no problem, but during my previous roadtrips when we were stopping every few hours for photography, that was when the blistering began. Worse for me since I'm usually the driver or one of the drivers so the blistering did not help when I had to spend the rest of the day gripping the steering wheel. :(

I do it whole day long with the sirui or gitzo and I have no problems. With the new quick quarter-turn twist locks, you do not really have to tighten them too much. very fast and easy to delpoy and pack up.

Quarter-turn? Hmmm, okay I guess Sirui will do then. It doesn't sound like I'll face the same problems as I did with my Benro.

I quick look at Siruicanada.com shows a heck of a lot of tripod models, I don't see the R2204 anywhere so guess its a discontinued model. Does anyone have any recommendations on which one to choose? Like lesser leg segments is better, aluminium vs carbon-fibre, etc?

Also which ballhead would you recommend in terms of ease-of-use and portability?

Quarter-turn? Hmmm, okay I guess Sirui will do then. It doesn't sound like I'll face the same problems as I did with my Benro.

I quick look at Siruicanada.com shows a heck of a lot of tripod models, I don't see the R2204 anywhere so guess its a discontinued model. Does anyone have any recommendations on which one to choose? Like lesser leg segments is better, aluminium vs carbon-fibre, etc?

Also which ballhead would you recommend in terms of ease-of-use and portability?

Look at this website instead, Sirui HQ website.
http://www.zssirui.com/EN/Default_En.aspx

I recommend the K20x ballhead. but for smaller tripods, go for the K10x instead.

Also, for shorter legs, I recommend you go for the T-1204x, T-1004x, T-1205x or T-1005x instead.

Last edited:
Actually if TS is looking at clip lock tripods... he could look at Manfrotto's series of tripod, they made excellent, sturdy tripod too. Plus Manfrotto is readily available in Australia...

Actually buying camera gear in Australia is more expensive. Its cheaper to buy from SG and have a friend carry to Australia or buy off eBay.

Regarding the ballhead, how about the G20? I found this on eBay and while the folded length is longer than the ones daredevil123 suggested, I'm okay with the dimensions.

harnamsc said:
Actually buying camera gear in Australia is more expensive. Its cheaper to buy from SG and have a friend carry to Australia or buy off eBay.

Regarding the ballhead, how about the G20? I found this on eBay and while the folded length is longer than the ones daredevil123 suggested, I'm okay with the dimensions.

Everything in Australia is more expensive.

A can of coke already costs $4.

G20 is ok, but I am not a fan due to the weak pan-lock. But totally usable. But the newer Kx series are much better made.

Link Below. Contact them, maybe they can do post/courier delivery

http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/