Horrible experience with Sony service center and DSC-P71. NEED HELP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi ppl. I have a horrid experience with sony today. And i need ppl who can help mi cos i totally feel like a victim that has been framed and got sent to jail. This is the whole story....

I bought a Sony digicam DSC-P71 couple of days ago. Hav been taking pics constantly. Then yesterday, after i took 3 pics, the shutter refuse to return to its slot. Resetting also doesnt work.
So my gf brought it to sony center (cos i'm working and they dun open on sat), expecting a 1-to-1 exchange (since it's only a couple of days), but instead i was greeted with news that the lens was dented and warranty void cos i "mishandled it"! The manager insist i had dropped it or hit something, but how is it possible?? All the time i have been holding it in my hands?!!!!
And to replace it, it will cost mi $400?!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is SUCH AN INJUSTICE, and i simply refuse to pay a single cent.
I requested to tok to the Director and the manager (which headed the service department) refuse to direct mi to him. I mean, if his reasons are valid, why is he so scared that i would be bringing this issue to a higher level? It's like he is totally king. If he says its all customers' fault, who would be in the place to gauge his decisions? Then we as customers can never have a say in the situation. I am so helpless now, and searching high and low for sources that have the director's contact, or the appropriate ppl to talk to regarding the issue. Ppl hav feedback to mi that sony's customer service sucks, but tis is the first time i realli believe it. Can u guys who r working in sony kindly help mi find the contact. I juz need a chance to appeal. Also, anybody knows where to complain regarding this? There is a consumers complain department or something rite? PLEASE HELP :(

Originally posted by TsQ
C.A.S.E. ?

Do they hav a website? OR where is it located? regards

publishing your experience is a good start.

next step would be to bring it even further, and write letters and e-mails of complaints addressed to the people at sony (and make it worldwide), the press and everyone you know. if you know the name of the person who served you, even better.

just make enough fuss and they will start to react. and if you have to go down there again, make sure you don't let them intimidate you.

Originally posted by munfai
publishing your experience is a good start.

next step would be to bring it even further, and write letters and e-mails of complaints addressed to the people at sony (and make it worldwide), the press and everyone you know. if you know the name of the person who served you, even better.

just make enough fuss and they will start to react. and if you have to go down there again, make sure you don't let them intimidate you.

The surname of the manager is Soh. I ALSO want to write emails and stuff. But i have no contacts! Which is why i am asking for help here mah. Publish? how to publish? how to make it worldwide?

Just to play the devil's advocate, you can't simply base it on one side at all. Too many times, I've seen people passing off stuff they've spoilt themselves as damaged when opened from the box.

Originally posted by wind

The surname of the manager is Soh. I ALSO want to write emails and stuff. But i have no contacts! Which is why i am asking for help here mah. Publish? how to publish? how to make it worldwide?

hi,

you can try reaching this journalist at sph at this email.

ginlee@sph.com.sg

try to explain your situation and see if he can help out or offer any advice. he seems to be the person to reach regarding the ecourts and dell laptop pricing foulup. maybe he can throw some light on your situation to the public and Sony, although it's a different matter altogether. i'm not saying he definitely can help, but try reaching him and see how it turns out. do cc a copy to the straits times forum, and Sony as well, and see how they react when they know you are bringing the matter public. i bet the last thing they want in this recession is bad news about their customer service, it will hurt their image, no matter how good their products are. if you include the full name of the manager that served you, the matter will definitely be looked into by them.

it's time retailers and manufacturers know that no matter how good their products are, poor service equates bad sales.

Originally posted by Richard
Just to play the devil's advocate, you can't simply base it on one side at all. Too many times, I've seen people passing off stuff they've spoilt themselves as damaged when opened from the box.

Pls read carefully wat i wrote. Furthermore before the day it was spoiled, i have shots without any probe. Then the probe occur DURING the time i was using the cam. It's people like u that make consumers suffer

Originally posted by fastwatch

hi,

ginlee@sph.com.sg

try to explain your situation and see if he can help out or offer any advice. he seems to be the person to reach regarding the ecourts and dell laptop pricing foulup. maybe he can throw some light on your situation to the public and Sony, although it's a different matter .......

Hey thanks fastwatch! U have been most helpful! Thanks for making the effort to help. Regards :)

just go to all the Sony websites all over the world and pick up all the contact/support/corporate emails you can find.

basically you mail to every darned @sony address you can find.

hi,

ginlee@sph.com.sg

try to explain your situation and see if he can help out or offer any advice. he seems to be the person to reach regarding the ecourts and dell laptop pricing foulup. maybe he can throw some light on your situation to the public and Sony, although it's a different matter altogether.

The email is invalid leh

Several options: -

1) Demand to speak to somebody who is in charge of the service center.

2) Go to another service center? I think there is one at Bugis.

3) Try talking to the shop with whom you bought the camera from.

4) Seek advise from CASE.

5) Blast em all through the media...

There is this small claims tribunal which I am not too sure how it works. You may want to check it out...

http://www.smallclaims.gov.sg/SCT-General_Info.html

By the way, I had very similar experiences with my Nokia 8850 which I sent to Nokia's "Professional Center".

hi,

ginlee@sph.com.sg

try to explain your situation and see if he can help out or offer any advice. he seems to be the person to reach regarding the ecourts and dell laptop pricing foulup. maybe he can throw some light on your situation to the public and Sony, although it's a different matter altogether. i'm not saying he definitely can help, but try reaching him and see how it turns out. do cc a copy to the straits times forum, and Sony as well, and see how they react when they know you are bringing the matter public. i bet the last thing they want in this recession is bad news about their customer service, it will hurt their image, no matter how good their products are. if you include the full name of the manager that served you, the matter will definitely be looked into by them.

it's time retailers and manufacturers know that no matter how good their products are, poor service equates bad sales.

Oo Gin Lee?? he helped me to fight for the Dell's notebook last time but failed....let me double check his email address for u...

btw, i am quite suprise that Sony will give such poor service...last time i complain to them that my F707's battery cover is loose, they say will get back to me soon, but after so many mths...still no news from them....

The email is invalid leh

yes, the email is what he replied me with sometime back, and should have no problem reaching him, unless he changed it. try sending again. if you still can't get a reply, you can alternatively call him at 6730 5026. this is a number he provided me with, and i'm not sure if it reaches him direct or whether it works or not, as i have not used it.

good luck and keep your cool, i believe Richard was just stating a general point of view, and not directed at you.

I got this info in the email sometimes back. Dont know how true or how useful it might be:

"
This is something I like to share with you from one of my seminar recently.
If you find this informative, pls circulate.

It was conducted by A/P Catherine Tay on Legal issues in Ecommerce.

One important thing on contract law with regards to any purchases:

Notice that most of the time, the receipt/invoice you received from the
merchant carries this exclusion clause or similarly worded statement:

"Goods sold are not returnable" or "No refund once sold"

The thing that I have learnt from her is that

"As long as your good is purchased for home use and not for business (ie.
to
be resold), the above exclusion clause is VOID. That means, as long as the
good is defective, regardless of what is worded, you CAN get back all your
money spent. You do not have to accept a repair on the good or an
exchange.
You CAN ask for a refund. AND you are LEGALLY right and entitled to "

What a relevation!! And most of the time the merchant will refuse to return
you your money. Her advice? From her own experience ( and no less than 7
and
all successful!), she will threaten the merchant with four words:

"SEE YOU IN COURT!"

The court here refers to the Small Claims Tribunal Court. However, you
don't
have to tell them what court! All you have to pay is $10 admin fee and the
loser (the merchant) will have to refund you the money PLUS the admin fee!
She shared this with us because she felt that even educated people are
cowed
by such unfair wordings (which include her jaded friends who are not
lawyers).

Pls try not to let the merchant fleece you the next time you have a
defective good."

Pls read carefully wat i wrote. Furthermore before the day it was spoiled, i have shots without any probe. Then the probe occur DURING the time i was using the cam. It's people like u that make consumers suffer

I wasn't implying anything. I was just giving an insight of what the manager might be thinking. It's normally a few black sheeps that spoils it for people. Why don't you read what I wrote, and tell me in which way have I implied that you spoilt it yourself?

Originally posted by Sin
I got this info in the email sometimes back. Dont know how true or how useful it might be:

"
This is something I like to share with you from one of my seminar recently.
If you find this informative, pls circulate.

It was conducted by A/P Catherine Tay on Legal issues in Ecommerce.

One important thing on contract law with regards to any purchases:

Notice that most of the time, the receipt/invoice you received from the
merchant carries this exclusion clause or similarly worded statement:

"Goods sold are not returnable" or "No refund once sold"

The thing that I have learnt from her is that

"As long as your good is purchased for home use and not for business (ie.
to
be resold), the above exclusion clause is VOID. That means, as long as the
good is defective, regardless of what is worded, you CAN get back all your
money spent. You do not have to accept a repair on the good or an
exchange.
You CAN ask for a refund. AND you are LEGALLY right and entitled to "

What a relevation!! And most of the time the merchant will refuse to return
you your money. Her advice? From her own experience ( and no less than 7
and
all successful!), she will threaten the merchant with four words:

"SEE YOU IN COURT!"

The court here refers to the Small Claims Tribunal Court. However, you
don't
have to tell them what court! All you have to pay is $10 admin fee and the
loser (the merchant) will have to refund you the money PLUS the admin fee!
She shared this with us because she felt that even educated people are
cowed
by such unfair wordings (which include her jaded friends who are not
lawyers).

Pls try not to let the merchant fleece you the next time you have a
defective good."

moderator???...this should be on the homepage in BOLD!...i'm enlightened....and is there any time limit on this clause? or is it legally binding so long as it is within the warranty period?

Status
Not open for further replies.