Hornbill spotted in Changi

Status
Not open for further replies.

wong1979

Aug 16, 2005
Hi, I spotted a group of wild hornbills near the xxx this morning. I've heard of it residing in Ubin before but have never witnessed it. Felt really lucky for capturing it although not at the best of angle :)

hornbill1.jpg

hornbill2.jpg

Cheers..

Oriental Pied Hornbills.....wow....on mainland S'pore. You are indeed a lucky chap. Looks like I'm gonna be camping out at Changi this weekend. The last time I saw some (different variety) was in Langkawi while trekking up the waterfalls.
Nice pictures.
Cheers

thx for the comments. i spotted them from outside of xxx which is only for members. but heck care lar, the gate open big big and so i walked right underneath the tree and shot it ;) Not the flittish sort of bird, so if u spot 1, can get a super close-up headshot with a 600mm i think.

wkcheah76 said:
Yeah these guys cannot be bothered, do go to the boardwalk! The eagles fly at 530pm onwards..

0530pm so late? But I've seen plenty of white-bellied sea eagles there in the morning. ;)

wkcheah76 said:
wow! Wonderful lighting! :bigeyes:
still cant beat your Rhino-cum-Great hornbill shot lar....:lovegrin:
But this is really good lighting.....
Very good shot:thumbsup: but the branches are ab little distracting...;p

I came across 2 of such hornbills when I was at Upper Seletar Reservoir on 27 April evening. They sure made a lot of noise on the trees and seemed to be a pair together. I only realised they were hornbills when they flew to the top of the viewing tower and I managed to take a picture with my Nikon 5700 which lacked the resolution power of a DSLR camera and lens. By the time I climbed up the tower, theywere frightened off by other visitors already.

This is a cropped picture :

dscn0035bcopy6sz.jpg

They were on top of this and I took the first picture from the ground :
dscn0037copy7zw.jpg

Good to know that these great creatures have been spotted across our island. Hope more reports of such and other sightings can be posted here. Rarely seen on the mainland.
Cheers

sharkspin said:
Good to know that these great creatures have been spotted across our island. Hope more reports of such and other sightings can be posted here. Rarely seen on the mainland.
Cheers
Not really.
I have got a tip from the experts that the OPHB are common at UpperSeletar Resivoirs.;)
Too bad the Rhino and Great Hornbill escapees are both of the same sex....or what would we get?a cross breed?;p

Great catch! :thumbsup: you are really a lucky chap...

actually there is a singapore hornbill project

Hornbill Project Singapore you CAN make a difference. Read all about
our own hornbills and how you can help with your sightings on the
bird ecology blog http://besgroup.blogspot.com/2006/03/hornbill-project-singapore.html

But I have contacted Dr Wee of the blog and notified of this thread :)

Thx for the info. I didn't know there's an ongoing hornbill project. So is this a male or female one?

16-05-06-009.jpg

I'm thinking it's a she because it seems like she put on mascara :bsmilie:

BTW, I saw 3 hornbills together at around 0900am. Hope this can shed some light on the population in Changi? Or perhaps they flew here from Ubin :dunno:

Cheers..

Actually i spotted them twice around the old changi hospital. i believe they have their nest somewhere around there, which explain why they are spotted there quite frequently. in fact, i think changi area has a lot of variety of birds. :)

Guys , pls keep a lookout for poachers when you spot interesting birds am not sure how you would trap a hornbill.. but it would be sad if the small population is gone due to poaching ... hopefully nothing like that flying lemur incident happens for other animals :)

slaam said:
Guys , pls keep a lookout for poachers when you spot interesting birds am not sure how you would trap a hornbill.. but it would be sad if the small population is gone due to poaching ... hopefully nothing like that flying lemur incident happens for other animals :)

I second that. If one would notice some guides depicting local fauna have no specific location of where the creature to be found. This is to deter people from going there to catch one or two pieces as a pet..... :( Hence do keep your news of where you took the photos esp if its in the wild a secret.

Ok point noted. If the nesting area is ever discovered, I'll keep it from the public. I'm aware of the poaching going on as I've witnessed a huge net placed beside a nesting hole for the little green parrots in Changi. Sad :(

yeah unfortunetely here in Singapore, people still dont take wildlife with high regard. The term take only pictures and leave only your footprints dont seem to sink in with them....

Used to see people with cast nets netting flocks of pigeons. Makes you wonder where your restaurant's roast pigeon came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.