Hornbill pair at P.Ubin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphil

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
Havent posted Hornbill pics for a long time. Came across a pair of them by following their distinct call - found out that it is actually a mating call! For a very brief moment, the clouds moved aside long enough for me to take some shots.

Male (observe shape of horn) - Dont believe see below ;)

Female (she was definitely not calling. Actually she was coughing up a seed she had eaten before)

And :bigeyes: ...

I had front row seats for this "show" although I didnt know it beforehand. Lasted less than a minute, so no time to adjust settings.

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
Good stuff. :thumbsup:

These 2 looked like having an affair and u are the PI catching them in action .... :D

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
Good catch. I've been trying to get a pic of the Hornbill but could never get it.

mphil

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
jbma said:
Good catch. I've been trying to get a pic of the Hornbill but could never get it.
Thanks, a couple of tips for you:-
First, you must learn to recognise their calls, they definitely cant sing :bsmilie:
You must also be early, I have had many oppurtunities to see them around 8 am to 9am. However, if you know their hangout, you can catch them even later.
There are quite a number of them already and I have seen them just about all over the island. ;p They seem to prefer coconut as well as old durian trees.

erwinx

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
good catch with blue sky background :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.