Horizon in photos not straight !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
Hi All

I noticed that the horizons in more than half of the landscape photos I took were not level/straight. I ended up having to 1) rotate the photos between 0.5 to 3 degrees either CW or CCW and 2) cropped them to get "leveled" photos. Do you face the same problem? How do you overcome this?

BTW, I also face the same problem when I use a tripod ...not sure if that the camera is leveled. Do tripods that come with levels* help? (* a small device with water cavity + a bubble)

Thanks for your advice.

FM

go get a grid screen...

Leongfm said:
BTW, I also face the same problem when I use a tripod ...not sure if that the camera is leveled. Do tripods that come with levels* help? (* a small device with water cavity + a bubble)

Thanks for your advice.

FM

FYI ,
a small device with water cavity + a bubble is called "spirit level"

The tripod with "spirit level" shows level does not mean your camera is level. You have to use hot shoe "spirit level" that mount on your camera hot shoe to confirm the horizon is level.

Leongfm said:
Hi All

I noticed that the horizons in more than half of the landscape photos I took were not level/straight. I ended up having to 1) rotate the photos between 0.5 to 3 degrees either CW or CCW and 2) cropped them to get "leveled" photos. Do you face the same problem? How do you overcome this?

Thanks for your advice.

FM

I think you meant tilted, it is very difficult to find the horizon not straight. ;)
Normally I also have a slight tilted horizon, same as you about 3 degree or less. If this tilt really bothers me, I also use photoshop to correct it. I have a tripod with a levelling device, but that does not ensure one will get a untilted horizon.

Hiee....

Used it before and great for landscape....in low light.....too.

Using any software and create two pieces of colored grids - you can even add gradations in between .......

Print it out.....cut it out ....use a scotch tape to laminate it ...then use a double sided tape to stick it....then stick at the sides of the LCD ...

When framing...just need to concentrate that the horizon terminates at similar color...then...you can get a straight horizon...

The finer the gradation you get better accuracy.....functions like a grid type focussing screen....

like this...

gridcolor.jpg

regards,
me

nEkO_o said:
I think you meant grid :)

Ha Ha.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
too engross in my camera grip problem...

I used to have tilted horizons too...Always tilt to the right... Even when my eyes tell me it's straight B4 I took the snapshot.

Den after some time, I finally found the problem.

Haha... believe it or not...

When I pressed the shutter release, I actually tilted the camera clockwise! Stupid I was then... But now I know I should click it with large force.

The spirit level on a tripod is not always accurate... Dun count on that, esp if your tripod is a cheapo one... my spirit level can be adjusted around with some force...Apparently it's not glued on properly...

sulhan said:

Sulhan,

I'm amazed at how you'd always use detailed graphics to explain your techniques... You definately draw faster on the computer than i can write with a pen... Thanks for sharing... graphically especially.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :thumbsup:

Tert

Hi Sulhan

Thanks for the explaination in diagram. Very useful.

Just wondering...wouldn't this technique be more suitable for non-DSLR digicams like Canon Powershot G3/5 where one can use LCD screens for framing? For DSLR, it will be difficult to use this technique because you only see the scene on the LCD after you have taken the shot. Am I right?

FM

HIee...Leong...

That's why i mentioned Digital Still Camera ...a..k.a. DSC......
Dlsr are obviously not capable of using this method .....

NOTE: Taking landscape shot at the beach may be tricky at times......
Always use the far horizon of the dissappearing sea as the line of reference....
do not use the wave along the beach as the reference......the slanting nature of most beaches may result in slanted horizon......just be careful...

rgds,
Me

sulhan said:
HIee...Leong...

That's why i mentioned Digital Still Camera ...a..k.a. DSC......
Dlsr are obviously not capable of using this method .....

NOTE: Taking landscape shot at the beach may be tricky at times......
Always use the far horizon of the dissappearing sea as the line of reference....
do not use the wave along the beach as the reference......the slanting nature of most beaches may result in slanted horizon......just be careful...

rgds,
Me

But if using DSLR or film SLR, can buy the grid reference screen for the viewfinder right?

Status
Not open for further replies.