Hoping to visit Ayutthaya while in Bangkok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi to the seasoned travelers.

I'm planning to Bangkok later this month on a free and easy package and I'm hoping to visit Ayutthaya. Any idea on how do I should go about doing it? Hoping to spend a day there ...

Thanks in advance! ;)

Hi,

Do you already have places you want to visit in mind? Its better to at least have some idea of which Wats(temple) you want to visit before you go. There are really ALOT scattered around there. And a one day visit will be very rush. Maybe you can hire a driver to send you around as it will be quite tedious going from point to point without transport.

Been to ayutthaya a few times and it always offers something new... Esp photos... very nice place!

Best way to enjoy the place to to stay a few days. Its relatively cheap and also a good getaway from the hustle n bustle. Recommended to stay at one of the hostels overlooking the Chap Praya river near the train station. Really nice places.. and only about $12 to 18SGD a night! For a twin room.

Perhaps you can be more specific as you are very vague with what you want. If you need help on hostel or hotels let me know..

Hi again.

I'm planning to spend 4 days and 3 nights in Thailand and this time the focus is on
Ayutthaya. I'm relatively new to this, i.e. Thailand and this free and easy kind of stuff thus I'd really appreciate pointers from members who have been there.

Thanks again. ;)

Hi Adam,
I just came back from Bangkok over the Vesak day weekend - it was mainly to take shots of the Vesak day festival. We hired a driver for the 2 days that we were there. We were meant to go to Ayutthaya but we went to Jatujak (shopping at the weekend market) instead. :embrass: In the morning, we went to the floating market, and on the way, you can see the salt fields. Great photo opps there. Went to Phuttamonthon (huge temple) and sat in the car for 8 blooming hours as we were lost so that was really great. Not!

We are going back again but if you are there to take photos, get a driver - it should cost you THB 2500 per day. Heard that Ayutthaya is great for sunset shots. Going back there in July, this time with a map!!

The Thai embassy is really helpful too, with recommendations of places to go for some good photo opps.

Adam Goi said:
Hi again.

I'm planning to spend 4 days and 3 nights in Thailand and this time the focus is on
Ayutthaya. I'm relatively new to this, i.e. Thailand and this free and easy kind of stuff thus I'd really appreciate pointers from members who have been there.

Thanks again. ;)

Ayutthaya is a very nice place, it is worth staying over for at least one night, then you can catch both the sun rise & sunset. Try not to follow the tour bus, because usually tourist buses arrive around 10-11am, worst time of the day to take photos.

there are a lot of ruin temples, palaces there, and you need to do quite a lot of walking (under the hot sun), so be prepared.

for practical travel info, get hold of a lonely planet guidebook, all the necessary info should be there.

And if this is your first time to Thailand, never admit it while you are there, must act as if you have been there many times. And never believe those guys who approach you and tell you that this temple, that palace is closed for a special occasion, they are just simple con man. if you want to try the tutuk, just be sure not to let the driver bring you around to anywhere except where you want to go, you might most probably end up at one of the con shops :)

and most importantly, enjoy your trip there. i miss Thailand so much. :(

There are operators at the hotel..but prob quite ex..maybe can try operators around the place.should usually be cheaper after bargain...alternatively, what i did last time was to plan an itineary and negotiate with the cab drivers for a price..cant remember what i paid..but its definiitely cheaper than package..only bad thing was..the guy actually did not know how to go some places..so after ayuthaya..we actually got lost and ended up at dreamworld themepark..so thats the risk..i like chinatown in bkk (lots of street photo ops) and the river cruise..if you have not been there b4..try the longkang boat thing..the river has super stench..but quite an experience..

Adam Goi said:
Hi again.

Thanks again. ;)

yep, like ah seng, i took a train from bkk to ayuthaya. then rented a bicycle from one of those shops near the station and cycled around. there's a map provided by the bicycle rental shop, i believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.