Hoping for a little support for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MaryJ

MaryJ, first of all, on behalf of the community, welcome to ClubSNAP :)

**Speaking on personal capacity**
I agree with kex's POV, photography is a skill, passion and art that isn't all about winning. It is good to ask for critiques, be it good or bad, as a way to better yourself. Your request is IMO quite counterproductive of what you may be able to achieve if you will just look away from win-lose scenarios.

Just my humble opinion :)

I agree with you both, photography isn't about winning... >>>but that's what photo competitions are for.<<< I honestly don't believe I'll win anyway, I was just trying to even out my odds because this isn't anything near my best work... it's just what I had on hand when I spontaneously decided to enter this thing. Besides, it's always nice to win things here and there, and when I open up my own studio later on in life, who knows... maybe winning this thing could be great on my credentials along with my other works. Thanks for both of your responses, I know you guys are just looking out for my (and the art of photography's) best interests.

MaryJ said:
I agree with you both, photography isn't about winning... >>>but that's what photo competitions are for.<<< I honestly don't believe I'll win anyway, I was just trying to even out my odds because this isn't anything near my best work... it's just what I had on hand when I spontaneously decided to enter this thing. Besides, it's always nice to win things here and there, and when I open up my own studio later on in life, who knows... maybe winning this thing could be great on my credentials along with my other works. Thanks for both of your responses, I know you guys are just looking out for my (and the art of photography's) best interests.

Hi Mary J

Life is very unfair... the best pic doesnt always win.. the best efforts often comes to naught and things just don work out as they should.

Credentials? Capa didnt have any but he could have easily won them all. Awards don define people and their works. They may be recognition but they are nothing by themselves. One's nobility and spirit is captured and reflected in his/her works and often that is forgotten. Confront one fears and overcome the comfort zones, that is more important.

MaryJ said:
By all means, this isn't my best picture, and if you don't like it, please don't give it a bad rating, just don't vote. But, if you do like it, even just a little, i'm hoping you could give it a much needed 10.

Mary, what would be the point of winning under such conditions? You seem to be suggesting that people who have seen your work and yet don't like it shouldn't vote(deservingly or not), while asking those who may think its ok to give a perfect 10(undeservingly).

In essence you are saying that you want a 10 and nothing less.

How fair would this be to the other competitors?

What thrill, achievement, satisfaction, could be gained from undeserving compliments?

Doesn't seem to suggest that your desire to win overrides all other concerns?

OK this is just causing more trouble than it's worth, i'm now deleting the original post... sorry to bother everybody

Actually, ya know what... this competition is for FUN, not prize money, not gifts, none of that. All I would have won is my picture on a select few of their soda labels, that's it. Nothing else. It was just for fun. And it straight says on their website when you go to submit a photo, and I'm not making this up, to get anybody and everybody you can to vote on your picture and have them give you good votes. Hell, if I wanted I could cheat anyway... just delete the cookie, and disconnect/reconnect so my IP changes, but I won't, that's not fair. But don't tell me it's not fair to the others to encourage people to give me a perfect 10 unjustly (although it really isn't a 10, lol) when the company themselves tell you to get anybody you can to give you great scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.