Hooray...e500 here i come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bros
I'm a newbie in clubsnap. Hope you seasoned hands can guide me along.
I majored in photography in university but that was close to 10 years ago. Was really into it and got quite good but haven't really touched the camera for a while and therefore khave lost touch. My outfit is still fully analog and all Canon, except for the Canon A95 I bought for my office. I'm doing marketing and external affairs you see, so do need a snapper every do often.
Am thinking the time is right to go digital cos the prices have come down a bit, but am torn between what to get.
I'm still in love with Canon and am considering the 350D and 20D. The D50 and D70s Nikons are also in the running. Recently I've also heard alot about the Olympus E500.
The Nikons are more the pro range but cannot match the Canons in resolution and they're about the same price. This is what is tearing me apart.
Any suggestions and advice? Thanks

Heartshape said:
Hi Bros
I'm a newbie in clubsnap. Hope you seasoned hands can guide me along.
I majored in photography in university but that was close to 10 years ago. Was really into it and got quite good but haven't really touched the camera for a while and therefore khave lost touch. My outfit is still fully analog and all Canon, except for the Canon A95 I bought for my office. I'm doing marketing and external affairs you see, so do need a snapper every do often.
Am thinking the time is right to go digital cos the prices have come down a bit, but am torn between what to get.
I'm still in love with Canon and am considering the 350D and 20D. The D50 and D70s Nikons are also in the running. Recently I've also heard alot about the Olympus E500.
The Nikons are more the pro range but cannot match the Canons in resolution and they're about the same price. This is what is tearing me apart.
Any suggestions and advice? Thanks

If you already have a substantial collection of Canon lenses, flash system, accessories, etc, I will suggest that you stick with Canon so that you don't waste your $$$. Maybe you should get a 2nd hand unit first to get a feel of goig Digital on Canon and decide whether it is the system that works for you.

Am very excited....going for my maiden shoot using the e500 this Sat @ Raffles Hotel.
My coll getting married in the morning followed by lunch buffet. I'm not the official snapper but just bring my cam to test-test.

I'm a complete noob and I do not want to shoot 'AUTO'. Am trying out my flash (FL36) with either Aperture and/or Shutter Priority.
What 'safe' settings to use for such wedding shoot? Just dont wanna end up snapping and deleting every shot I take becos of under/over exposures.

What exposure composition settings do you use for such shoots?

As you can see, I'm an idiot when it comes to photography so any tips are welcome....
:dunno:

Try P Mode, ISO and WB Auto.

The camera will adjust ISO to compensate for the long reach needed, in case of insufficient flash coverage.

I've got a friend who sold his camera (E-300) away, because of he got lousy results from wedding shots, after he got his camera for less than a week. One of his friend told him to use F11 for optimum sharpness, so, he ended up using f11 to shoot with a GN 28 autoflash.
Most group shots were all underexposed.

Olympus 4/3 system lenses are different format altogether as compared to conventional 35mm lenses. You do not need to stop down so much, up to F11 to get optimum quality.

With 4/3 lenses, f5.6-7.1 range is optimum. And I usually use f4-5.6 and never had any issue.

It takes time to learn and use DSLR camera. That's the joy of moving up. All the best, cheers!

ykkok said:
Try P Mode, ISO and WB Auto.

The camera will adjust ISO to compensate for the long reach needed, in case of insufficient flash coverage.

I've got a friend who sold his camera (E-300) away, because of he got lousy results from wedding shots, after he got his camera for less than a week. One of his friend told him to use F11 for optimum sharpness, so, he ended up using f11 to shoot with a GN 28 autoflash.
Most group shots were all underexposed.

Olympus 4/3 system lenses are different format altogether as compared to conventional 35mm lenses. You do not need to stop down so much, up to F11 to get optimum quality.

With 4/3 lenses, f5.6-7.1 range is optimum. And I usually use f4-5.6 and never had any issue.

It takes time to learn and use DSLR camera. That's the joy of moving up. All the best, cheers!

Thanks, bro. My 1st step is to sign up with PSS on Digital Photography Basics commencing Jan 2006.
I was thinking of these A-Priority settings:
F4-6.5 / ISO 400 / FLash with bouce-card at 45-deg tilt and even +ev 1-stop.
I know there are no hard rules in fotography but I just wanna play safe and hope to get good results.
I couldnt sleep last nite (tossing & turning) thinking about the coming event....:D

actually as yk puts it, P is fine for starts. focus more on the handling and composition rather than the technicalities first. there's nothing wrong wif auto really. getting used to the feel of your camera is more important.

here're the technicalities though, lol:
hm if you're thinking of bounce take a look at your surroundings. lower ceilings/wider angles = higher tilt in general. no hard and fast rule lah. leave the exposure compensation to +0. it should be fine. u might want to play around with the flash exposure compensation instead when you're bouncing. higher ceiling = more loss of light. iso 400 is comfortable indoors. i use iso 800 but some pple mind e noise. it depends on the lighting as well.

awb wif flash might not be accurate cos your flash is white light and the ambient light most probably is off white. but dun worry about that yet. wb is easily adjusted in PP. stick wif awb for now.

ok. i shant bombard you with anymore. learn the "feel" of your camera as i said just now. when you're used to it, things'll be second nature.

hm that's my 2 cents worth of advice. :) hope you enjoy shooting. don't be discouraged with "poor" shots. with the advent of digital most pple just shoot like water and pick the nicer ones after that. even with film some professionals oso shoot like water. haha.

shoot on! hope you enjoy your cam and sleep well tonite. :D

I shot some shots at my company D&D with aperture wide open, ISO400, auto WB. One thing about the WB, it is off sometimes esp. when there is strong ambient light. So remember to shoot RAW.

My colleagues were quite surprised with my shots :)

wind30 said:
My colleagues were quite surprised with my shots :)

they must be wondering how come your 5MP camera is better than their 8MP one? :bsmilie:

tell them it is the photographer lah!

Hey I was shooting P mode all the time too! heh... for a start, its always good to use P mode first i feel so that u can feel ur camera properly.

Imagine the camera as ur wife and the first romantic night. definitely u wun just head straight into business and close the deal fast yeah? heh

And, majortom: ur msg box is full! so hows ur adobe elements? still on? can pm me?

tao said:
they must be wondering how come your 5MP camera is better than their 8MP one? :bsmilie:

tell them it is the photographer lah!

don't play play, one of them owns a 350D and the other own the E500, all 8MP :) But they never bring their cam for D&D.

It is amazing who many amatuers like me own DSLR nowadays. Instant gratification really makes photography much more interesting.

ernie_ng81 said:
majortom: ur msg box is full! so hows ur adobe elements? still on? can pm me?

msg box empty liao

tao said:
Well you can always buy the 7mm-14mm, even wider than the 12-24mm on the Nikons and much sharper too. :)

I don't find the 11-22mm neither here nor there. When it is on my camera, it is on all the way when I take site photos and landscape shots as the 11-22mm is what it is... just right... for wide angle photography. The 11mm is actually much more wider than the 14mm of the kit lens than you think. Try it and you will know what I mean. When I need more zoom, I jumped straight to the rather excellent 40-150mm therefore the 14-45mm kit lens is hardly used.

As for the 7-14mm, it is one monster wide angle lens with a crazy perspective to me that I don't need at all. Neither can I afford it. :D

I have the 7-14mm lens and it is one necessary item that I simply must have. Now, I can't seem to find any filter to go with it. :(

stephen,

you got the 7-14 too??? wah lao! i was surprised to see your 50-200 for sale. even more shocked to find out u sold it cos you're getting the 35-100. lol. so wat's your arsenel now? haha.

anyway i'm glad you found a buyer for your 50mm. you'll definitely find one for your 50-200. it's an exceptionally brilliant lens. the price for it hasnt dropped much over the years amazingly. mine's coming 2 yrs old. still loving it :)

cheers,
kelvin

KrY0LiT3 said:
stephen,

you got the 7-14 too??? wah lao! i was surprised to see your 50-200 for sale. even more shocked to find out u sold it cos you're getting the 35-100. lol. so wat's your arsenel now? haha.

anyway i'm glad you found a buyer for your 50mm. you'll definitely find one for your 50-200. it's an exceptionally brilliant lens. the price for it hasnt dropped much over the years amazingly. mine's coming 2 yrs old. still loving it :)

cheers,
kelvin

The reason I'm letting the 50-200 go is because I prefer the 150mm. Got it yesterday and will test it out this weekend...

major_tom said:
Thanks, bro. My 1st step is to sign up with PSS on Digital Photography Basics commencing Jan 2006.
I was thinking of these A-Priority settings:
F4-6.5 / ISO 400 / FLash with bouce-card at 45-deg tilt and even +ev 1-stop.
I know there are no hard rules in fotography but I just wanna play safe and hope to get good results.
I couldnt sleep last nite (tossing & turning) thinking about the coming event....:D

i started photography with Aperture priority mode & usually left the lens at F5.6, its like idiot proof setting for me. :) bring the flash along & also spare batts for this wedding. i recommend a +0.3EV or +0.5EV on the cam.

do drop us some samples after ur mission. :lovegrin:

Hacker said:
The reason I'm letting the 50-200 go is because I prefer the 150mm. Got it yesterday and will test it out this weekend...

u will not regret this lens. the image quality is juz so very very very deliciously juicy!!:devil: :devil: rem to post some samples for us all to drool!! :bsmilie:

Hacker said:

wah :sweat: NPNT [size=-5] (j/k) [/size] :p :p :p

Hacker said:

Hey Bro, eagerly waiting to see your test shots and comments with the 150F2.

Trusting my hands to hold the 150mm beast. However, I need a good recommendation of a tripod/monopod and I hope all the brothers here can assist me.

Status
Not open for further replies.