Hook your camera bag to your tripod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

limwhow

Jun 9, 2009
Life revolves arOnd East Coast
I have been a question that has been brewing inside me for a long while and like always, it is now then I dare pluck up the courage to ask everyone.
Like many, I like to hook my loaded camera backpack onto the hook at the bottom of the central column to add stability. Question here is:
My tripod can bear max load of 8kg. If the backpack is already, say 6kg, does that mean that I have only a remaining 2kg of camera+lens+accessories to mount onto the ballhead (not to mention the ballhead already weighs anothe 350grams)?
Thanks for all your advice!

Manufacturers will understate the max load. So by right you don't have to worry, but by left if you don't need the extra weight to support the stability of the tripod, why risk your camera gear?

If you're careful... then it shouldn't be a problem

Manufacturers will understate the max load. So by right you don't have to worry, but by left if you don't need the extra weight to support the stability of the tripod, why risk your camera gear?

If you're careful... then it shouldn't be a problem

Thanks, pal!
Makes me feel a little more reassured.

just simple physics... if yo put more weight at the bottom (i.e. heavier than top)... then the thing should be less possible to topple... e.g. Ferrari vs Bus... theoretically your max load should be even higher since general rule for stable tripod = tripod weight > 2x camera weight...

If your fully loaded bag is 6kg then the total load for tripod is also 6kg - because you just distribute a bit: camera on top, bag on hook below.

If your fully loaded bag is 6kg then the total load for tripod is also 6kg - because you just distribute a bit: camera on top, bag on hook below.

I would only hang less on it. Hanging 6kg on the tripod is overkill for adding "stability".

I would only hang less on it. Hanging 6kg on the tripod is overkill for adding "stability".
I guess you may say that it is of no choice. Why? Cos let's say if hypothetically my backpack and stuff inside weighs 6kg then if I were to hang, then maybe I have no choice but to hook the whole lot under lor... Can't possibly take out some stuff before hanging. Haha... Thanks for your feedback, daredevil123.

You have a point, Octarine. And thanks for your reply. But allow me to then post ourselves a question here - we put 6kg below and another 6kg on top to, in theory, distribute it out as you have mentioned. But then at this point the total load on those poor tripod legs would have been 6+6kg = 12kg already. It all will still add on to the weight, would it not?
Reason why I say this is - I have both the Gitzo GT1541 (max load 8kg) and the GT0541 (max 5kg). When I hook the backpack on the GT0541, the lowest section legs has already begun to splay out. I know Gitzo is damn tough, and even though it has splayed out, the carbon fibres still can withstand. But just that load is still load, am I wrong?

just simple physics... if yo put more weight at the bottom (i.e. heavier than top)... then the thing should be less possible to topple... e.g. Ferrari vs Bus... theoretically your max load should be even higher since general rule for stable tripod = tripod weight > 2x camera weight...
Thank you for your reply jaRv1s. Again my reply to you would be the similar question as above to Octarine. How, like this?

I think your concern shouldn't be tripod stability, but if your tripod can withstand the pressure that your weights place on it.

Technically speaking, if you hang a 100 ton weight at the bottom of your tripod, and it's still standing, then it's very stable, but if your tripod legs fail, and your camera kiss the floor, then you need to take our ur PnS or camera phone to shoot.

Personally, the only weight i ever hung on my tripod, is a Double Whopper meal Upsized with extra packets of chilli. So yeah my tripod didn't groan too much.

I think your concern shouldn't be tripod stability, but if your tripod can withstand the pressure that your weights place on it.

Technically speaking, if you hang a 100 ton weight at the bottom of your tripod, and it's still standing, then it's very stable, but if your tripod legs fail, and your camera kiss the floor, then you need to take our ur PnS or camera phone to shoot.

Personally, the only weight i ever hung on my tripod, is a Double Whopper meal Upsized with extra packets of chilli. So yeah my tripod didn't groan too much.

Precisely, Complex13717421.
I am indeed more concerned about the weight that is being loaded, rather than the stability. That is why I want to find out if by hooking the backpack with a few kg of stuff inside would overload the tripod by starting this thread.
Honestly, bro, I am more than willing to just carry the backpack or put in on the floor, if it is found to be detrimental to the well-being of my tripod. Heck, I may even decide to gobble down the Double Whopper if you guys say don't hook ANYTHING to the tripod! Hahah...!

Wait... Octarine.. I may have mis-interpreted your reply, now that I re-read your posting.
I get your point. What you are trying to tell me is, all I am doing is take out my camera+lens and mount it on the tripod, then hang the remaining of my bag below. Total is still 6kg. Now I understand what you mean.

But then again, that is actually not my question. What I was concerned was - I hang 6kg below and then mount say, 3.5kg on top (in theory lah, don't question the validity of the weights.). This would make the total 9.5kg for a tripod of max load 8kg. Technically, this means that I am over-loading the tripod, am I not?

I have been a question that has been brewing inside me for a long while and like always, it is now then I dare pluck up the courage to ask everyone.
Like many, I like to hook my loaded camera backpack onto the hook at the bottom of the central column to add stability. Question here is:
My tripod can bear max load of 8kg. If the backpack is already, say 6kg, does that mean that I have only a remaining 2kg of camera+lens+accessories to mount onto the ballhead (not to mention the ballhead already weighs anothe 350grams)?
Thanks for all your advice!

i read that the correct way to hang weight to the tripod is for the weight to be resting on the floor so it does not add instability by swaying. so not all 6kg should be acting on the tripod legs..

It's always smarter to play safe with u have a 4000 dollar camera. I wouldn't do it =X

But the tripod should be able to still hold the weight, but play safe better =P

i read that the correct way to hang weight to the tripod is for the weight to be resting on the floor so it does not add instability by swaying. so not all 6kg should be acting on the tripod legs..
Thanks for your input, darrrrrrrrrr. You have actually added another dimension into my current situation, but one that is not necessarily no good. I am very happy for your suggestion because that is a good one - resting some weight on the floor. I didn't think of that. Kudos!

It's always smarter to play safe with u have a 4000 dollar camera. I wouldn't do it =X

But the tripod should be able to still hold the weight, but play safe better =P

Yes, Complex13717421. I think after all these, it still boils down to being a little bit safe, despite manufacturer's claims and all that. I concur.
As for that Double Whopper, well we shall just share it between ourselves, OK?
Thanks once again, bro!

Wait... Octarine.. I may have mis-interpreted your reply, now that I re-read your posting.
I get your point. What you are trying to tell me is, all I am doing is take out my camera+lens and mount it on the tripod, then hang the remaining of my bag below. Total is still 6kg. Now I understand what you mean.

But then again, that is actually not my question. What I was concerned was - I hang 6kg below and then mount say, 3.5kg on top (in theory lah, don't question the validity of the weights.). This would make the total 9.5kg for a tripod of max load 8kg. Technically, this means that I am over-loading the tripod, am I not?

Yes, in this scenario you are overloading the tripod - according the weight limitations given by the manufacturer. As pointed out by others: this might include already some buffer. Your additional 1.5kg might not cause an immediate breakdown of the tripod. Another point you noticed already: the legs start splaying out, thus they become a flexible part of the whole setup, making it susceptible to vibrations.
When I only had a small camera in my backpack bag I also hooked in on the tripod. But when you need to have the camera bag ready at hand (e.g. to swap lenses or put on filter) then hanging between the tripod leg is not an option for me.

When I am using my small Tenba D-10 bag, I will hang it on the tripod. Usually it is empty except for my filters, a extra lens and some small accessories. But when I am using a backpack, the backpack will either go on the ground, on a bench, or it will stay on my back.

With my new (used) 190xprob, another problem surfaced as there is no hook at the bottom of the center column. There is a small hook near the part where the ball head screws in. I am very sure it is very tough, but the hook is so small that it will be hard to hang a bag there.

don bother hanging unless shooting in really windy condition, tripod submerge in water with heavy current or when the camera weight is throw totally off balance by a heavy lens(unlikely since most heavy lens gt a tripod collar)

If the weight is full resting on the floor, how is the weight added? Maybe you can show an example of how this is done?

I feel the best weight thing is something like the velbon stone bag. which attaches to the 3 legs of the tripod. See it:

http://www.ulitu.com/manage/UploadImages/200852493037240ayong.JPG
http://a8658024.googlepages.com/elt-4.jpg

The bag should be place on the ground. The bag strap that hangs on the hook should be at a length where there is a bit of tension. Therefore, the weight of the bag is holding the tripod in position.
If you just let the entire bag hang in the air, when the wind is too strong, the bag swings around and hits the tripod legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.