Hong Kong Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaann

Aug 12, 2002
West
Visit site
hi all, would like to find out from those who hv been to hk...wanted to know where to go (must see), what to do (must do) and where to stay (must stay :bsmilie: )...just want to find more as i will be going to hk this dec..first time there..so dun wan to miss "good stuff".....:devil: :devil:

Some of the places that are good for photography are: -

1) Victoria Peak
2) Ocean Park
3) Causeway Bay

You definitely have to visit Mong Kok. Walk around Nathan Road precinct at night to get a feel of the denseness in HK. Had quite an experience myself. Do try the hawker food. Sausages, beef balls, etc, etc. Heaven!!!;p

Got a few extra smackers? Can also go to Felix at the Peninsula. Very cool place for a drink. Should also visit the toilet as well, quite a view. The place is designed by Philip Starck. I would also suggest Lan Kuai Fong. Touristy but just go for the heck of it.

Other than that, just walk around streets in Kowloon and HK. I have to say this again, its quite an eye opening experience because of the tremedous denseness of the city.

As for accommodation. Try Grand Tower in Mong Kok. Just next to the MTR entrance. Not too bad, right in the city.

Remember, HK is one of the world's most photographed city.:cool:

Also, getting around the city is pretty easy with the MTR. Go to the hotel reception and get an Octopus card. If I remember correctly, it gives you unlimited MTR rides, limited bus and ferry rides and also a one way ride on the airport express.

eh... Kit, how about makan places? You're so enthusiastic about Hong Kong! :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Mudpool
eh... Kit, how about makan places? You're so enthusiastic about Hong Kong! :bsmilie:

Yes, I love HK!!!:D I might be going again later this year.

For makan, like I mentioned, definitely try the hawker food. When I was there, I hardly eat any meals, just eat wherever I go. :D

For authentic HK breakfast, can go to one of those breakfast place that serves maggie mee with ham, eggs, char siew, etc, etc. Another alternative is to go to tea houses for dim sum.

If you're a seafood lover, can go Lei Yue Mun. However, its best to go with someone who knows the place, or else will get "slaughtered".

Food is abundance in HK. So no worries there. Like I said, I ate wherever I went. :D

Prepare an empty stomach, foods there are great:p

haha, my trip to Hong Kong was a rush! My family and I was on tour and didn't have much time explore around.

Smelled the chou tou fu, man... that stunk! It's smelled like a public toilet that wasn't washed for days! But still ppl like it!

Heard from some friends, when you're in HK and you don't speak cantonese, speak english first, if the other person doesn't understand, only then use mandarin.

haha, my trip to Hong Kong was a rush! My family and I was on tour and didn't have much time explore around.

Smelled the chou tou fu, man... that stunk! It's smelled like a public toilet that wasn't washed for days! But still ppl like it!

Heard from some friends, when you're in HK and you don't speak cantonese, speak english first, if the other person doesn't understand, only then use mandarin.

the younger generation actually understands.. they just pretend they don't sometimes. anyway mandarin is very common in HK now. most HKer knows basic mandarin.

I will be back there next week. miss the food already. :)

Is that a seasonal stuff? I didn't smell any when I was there. Or maybe I did but it too smells good.:D

I'm a cantonese so I try my best to converse in cantonese when I'm there but when the locals speak too fast, I'm lost.:dunno:

Ouh, I don't mean they don't understand. I didn't want to say this coz don't wanna get flamed... They've got double standards for mainlanders. Hence don't 'make' yourself a mainlander.

Ouh, I don't mean they don't understand. I didn't want to say this coz don't wanna get flamed... They've got double standards for mainlanders. Hence don't 'make' yourself a mainlander.
actually you are right.. we do show that we have double standard towards the mainlander... :p at least it is not as bad now compare to in the 90s.

anyway, if you do understand cantonese and you know that you are not good at it. just use English.. as even if you use cantonese the shop owners can tell you are not local. at least you pretend that you don't understand cantonese, when the shop owner/sales discuess about pricing, you could actually hear what they say.

I have a friend who actually has this experience where he was in a shop and actually heard the shop owner telling the sales to jack up the price of the product that my friend was interested to buy. of coz, my friend walk out of the shop immediatly.

A trip to Wing Shing / Man Shing!!!!
How could you as a photographer not to visit these 2 places!! :bsmilie:

Check out this week's 8 Days, they have a HK supplement.
And do go to those dim sum restaurant to "yum cha".... in the morning..

The experience is quite fun.

hi guys, thank you so much for the contribution...u all are so wonderful....will note down the points for references...wanna anything from hk??? hahaha will take a snap shot of them for you...:bsmilie: ............:devil: :devil: oh btw, me might delay this hk trip cos juz got a great deal to gold coast.....:devil: :devil:

Remember to visit TsuenWan mtr, big big shopping mall there, cheap goodies. (tho i don't know what can you buy at this period of time :p ) and Shin Ho at Mongkok, lots of cutie stuffs there, like models, cheap cds, youngster stuffs. Tong luo Wan, Wan chai have lots of shops too, grab some vcds at HK$15. Dirt cheap. If you gonna help your mom to buy some dry food like shark fin, bird nest etc, Sheung Wan is full of those stuffs.

For hotel, you might want to consider Eaton hotel too, opposite of "nan ren jie" Temple street, near Nathan MTR. Walking distance to "nu ren jie" Tong CHoi Street.

Oh, one last thing, if you gonna take tim sum at restaurant for lunch, go in after 2pm, i think it's cheaper.

Food...yum yum... :p

And don't forget to grab a copy of HK map at Hong Kong airport. :p

hehe.. the grass is always greener the other side, or i guess u just get sick of local stuff after a while. I live in HK on and off for many years before coming to Singapore, lately some HK frens came over to SG and they complaint bout HK food then saying Malaysia or Singapore food a lot nicer with many types (chinese malay indian) to choose from..

anyway hk is a great place.. pros and cons when compared to Singapore. Try going to SoHo/LanKwaifong... and if u r wild enough u probably get some 1 nite stand ;)

Originally posted by ninelives
hi guys, I also going to Hong Kong next week, it is a last minute decision.

question :

1: how is the zoo and bird park in HK ? does it worth to take a look ? else, i won't be bringing my tele lens.

Forget about the zoo or the birdpark. I also don't recommend the Ocean Park cos it's lousy and also full of rude China people.

Places to visits
1) The Peak (nite scene)
2) Mong Kok (Camera Shops/Nite Market)
3) Tim Sha Tsui (Taka-lookalike)
4) Dim sum at the Restaurants (Best!!!)
5) Causeway Bay
6) Wong Tai Shin Temple

Place to stay:
1) Grand Tower hotel (Mong kok-Super Accessible)

Status
Not open for further replies.