Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide 2012

Hi
Am going HK next week. intend to purchase 70-200mm f4L IS from there. Spore's price is about $1800+

Want to know
1) since there is no international warranty in lens. other than price what is the diff bet gray set and original set. (interm of quality).

2)Heard that if you purchase expensive stuff, upon return to Spore, the authorities will charge GST. How you guys keep the box (check in or hand carry)

Hi
Am going HK next week. intend to purchase 70-200mm f4L IS from there. Spore's price is about $1800+

Want to know
1) since there is no international warranty in lens. other than price what is the diff bet gray set and original set. (interm of quality).

2)Heard that if you purchase expensive stuff, upon return to Spore, the authorities will charge GST. How you guys keep the box (check in or hand carry)
1) Dont worry.. Quality is the same...UNLESS. u bought a lemon..so do check properly before purchasing. Especially when Canon dosent offer international warranty..
2) If not im wrong..anything above $400..GST will be charged. For my case.. i didnt bring the box back.. i threw it..If you want the box..u can flatten it and keep it in your bag. Should be alright..Hopefully.

So long u not putting the lens in the box, it should be alright.

TWmilkteaTW said:
1) Dont worry.. Quality is the same...UNLESS. u bought a lemon..so do check properly before purchasing. Especially when Canon dosent offer international warranty..
2) If not im wrong..anything above $400..GST will be charged. For my case.. i didnt bring the box back.. i threw it..If you want the box..u can flatten it and keep it in your bag. Should be alright..Hopefully.

Agree with the above. If I am not wrng, GST is charged if you buy and try to sell in Singapore. If for your own use it should be fine. Correct me if I am wrong people.

I went to Europe 2 years ago and bought quite a lot of LV, Tod's, Miu Miu and Prada bags plus other stuff back and On the way back me and wifey used all of them on us. Didn't attract any attention from the customs. Should be fine bah.

Far far away said:
Agree with the above. If I am not wrng, GST is charged if you buy and try to sell in Singapore. If for your own use it should be fine. Correct me if I am wrong people.

I went to Europe 2 years ago and bought quite a lot of LV, Tod's, Miu Miu and Prada bags plus other stuff back and On the way back me and wifey used all of them on us. Didn't attract any attention from the customs. Should be fine bah.

Each person is allowed up to $x (i think ard $500) worth of shopping when returning from overseas that is duty free, eg no GST is payable. Any amount above that, by right supposed to declare at customs (red lane) as GST is payable.

r0ger said:
Nope. ALL items imported are subjected to GST. Doesn't matter if u are selling or using it personally.

There is a 'GST allowance' of a few hundred bucks.

Its out of Singapore for at least 48 hours and S$300 for individual above 18 years of age and S$100 for below 18 years. Details at Singapore Customer link here: Duty-free Concession and GST Relief

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification people! Thank God I wasn't caught! :p

Hi CS

I'll be in Hong Kong in 9hrs time and would like to purchase the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Can you help me check the price and which store to go?

Regards

go sim city & check lor~

Hi CS

I'll be in Hong Kong in 9hrs time and would like to purchase the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Can you help me check the price and which store to go?

Regards

Hi CS

Regards
Please read the first page of this thread..i bet you havn't

The best place to start is

www.price.com.hk

and look for gray sets if you do not intend to claim warranty from Canon HK since most of the current batch of EF lenses from Canon will only have local warranty.
Hi CS I'll be in Hong Kong in 9hrs time and would like to purchase the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Can you help me check the price and which store to go? Regards

Last edited:
Just wan to share a few tip, as i am a Singaporean living in Hong Kong quite a while.

There a place in Mongkok, Kowloon call 星際城市 Website: Welcome to Sim City
Something like Peninsula Plaza back in Singapore, but there more thing to see and price better then Tin Cheung Camera at K11

There a few shop you have to visit: Is a photographers heaven

shop@dcfever
DCFever.com - 香港最多人上o既數碼相機、攝影教學、手機資訊網

DC Trend Co.
Brayan Law
Email: dccohk@gmail.com
Tel: +852 2153 1126
Address: Unit 113, 1/F, Sim City, No 47-51 Shan Tung Street, Mongkok

Tin Cheung Camera Company
Contact Us - Tin Cheung Camera Company

萬成/永成攝影器材有限公司
萬成/永成攝影器材有限公司
Wing Shing Photo Supplies Co., Ltd.
G/F, Shop 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
G/F 91-95 Fa Yuen St. Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
TEL: 2396-6886 FAX: 2395-2130

Man Shing Camera
G/F, Shop 106, Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
TEL:2396-2996

CITICALL Limited
G/F, 85-87 Fa Yuen Street, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
Shop 3-4, G/F, Mongkok City Centre, 74-78 Sai
Yeung Choi St. South, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

If you looking for old cameras go to

Mirador Mansion or Champagne Court
Champagne Court | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hope this help you.
If you need any further question or assistance, please post at this forum

Regards,
QJAWE.com

Hi all

just came back from HK this Wednesday. Had brought 70-200 F4 IS thanks to this thread and CS Tan.

Learn a bit thing from there and perhaps share to you guys. Went alot of shops before purchase the above len. Was told that that they no more taking "gray" set due to exchange rate. original set price wise are almost the same or maybe hk$100 +- cheaper in individual shop. Hence, all the reputable shops are selling original set now. Except those "neon light" shops located at TST. did not really go in as one of the sales BS me that they sell original but quote me gray set prices (HK $1000 cheaper).

Brought lens from Tin Cheng classic finally of all the walks/ask due to their friendly services. (D1 exit) at TST station. Knowing that the original set does not cover international warranty, but I still brought it and save S$250++ compare to Singapore's price. I even went to HK Cannon Service Centre also located at TST to register the warranty.

Quite fruitful trip as i found the original GP-5E for my 500D (sell only hk$800 brand new) after alot walk/enquiries. If you wants to change Sing$, you can try the above metion pl (at the entrance) dont waste time at Mongkok (lousy rate).

Happy shopping and also must try the goose at Yung Yee at wellington st (HK Central). You wont regret.

Last edited:
went HK last week and the price from all the listed guide has no much difference or no difference from singapore.
felt like was wasting my time searching for the shop especially echo when i check with them the price and told them was
same as singapore and they told me too bad. :(

You are right, I feel the same way. Better to buy stuff in the US. Just check out Amazon or BnH.

The money changer at miramar building near tin cheung in TST gives good rates, it's located the rear entrance near mody road, near side entrance of holiday inn golden mile.

Otherwise u can go to any dbs bank to change. Handling charge of hk$100 waived for dbs/posbank customers, bring ur atm, credit card along. Exchange rate by dbs is very good, none of the money changers I came across can beat dbs rates.

Last edited:
Banks in HK have a better rate than the money changers on the street. But it is exactly the opposite in Singapore.

The only thing to watch out for is the handling fee from the banks so if you are able to get the handling fee waived, it is better to exchange foreign currency in the banks while visiting HK.

CS TAN said:
Banks in HK have a better rate than the money changers on the street. But it is exactly the opposite in Singapore.

The only thing to watch out for is the handling fee from the banks so if you are able to get the handling fee waived, it is better to exchange foreign currency in the banks while visiting HK.

That's right...dbs has rather standard opening hours to 3pm weekdays and they are closed on weekends. I'm not sure if hsbc or citi waives handling fees for their cardholders

anybody know which shop got the cheapest canon 24-70L and 24-105L? thanks!

kezane said:
anybody know which shop got the cheapest canon 24-70L and 24-105L? thanks!

Price.com.hk