Homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintist

Nov 13, 2006
Singapore
www.oddinary.com.sg
417252435_86452dcf4e.jpg

This snail was crawling away from its shell just centimetres away. It started heading towards areas beneath the pebbles and soil perhaps for a darker area and one that has more moisture. Taken at grandma hse garden.

C&C will do! Feeling not quite right about the composition. I was really rushing on this shot as it was crawling away and my focusing wasn't ready!! lol

oh, i think you got the focusing spot on. it's just the 'zoom' effect that's disorientating. that zoom effect has no relation to the point of your image. that's why it disagrees with me.

otherwise pretty decent composition. subject is set against a light background, no disruptions to its lines. flash shows up its texture and gloss very well, too bad about the hot spots but nothing you could do about it at the time.

the 'zoom' is actually bad part of the lens. the lens caused that looked in the picture, my lens is one kind of cheapo macro+wide angle lens. On budget and at amateur level. But its still fun learning experience playingg with it before i get some decent funds to upgrade lol

I personally thought this was an interesting shot despite the fact that it maybe a lousy lens.... but hey, it's a heck of a good way to be imaginative and make the best use of what you have.

Personnel comments, Firstly I think the focus should be on the eyes rather than the head of the snail. Guess it would make it more sharper in focus, plus I'm just wondering what was the shutter speed of this shot? as it seems there is some shaking present near the top of the picture.

2nd, could there be another perspective where the snail was looking towards you, while it was hiding? Might evoked more impact..... image those eyes staring at you. :)

Lastly, just a small issue of where you want to place the focus of attention in your photo. For this shot it was dead centre. In some cases it might be good, in others, the 1/3 rule might make it look better. Really depends on the background content.

Hope it helps you in your quest towards enhancing your photography skills.

Cheers,
Tantor

Nice effect!:thumbsup:

Thanks tantor, quoting from myself
Feeling not quite right about the composition. I was really rushing on this shot as it was crawling away and my focusing wasn't ready

Indeed, couldn't get the snail at the right angle i wanted. it was moving fast towards the beneath of the pebbles and I couldnt relocate myself quick enough on the other side. Well, I had actually cropped the picture so that the snail would be somehow more to one side but didn't work out. >.<

Will try and see if got more snails next time, snails without home to bemore specific =S

Thanks tantor, quoting from myself

Indeed, couldn't get the snail at the right angle i wanted. it was moving fast towards the beneath of the pebbles and I couldnt relocate myself quick enough on the other side. Well, I had actually cropped the picture so that the snail would be somehow more to one side but didn't work out. >.<

Will try and see if got more snails next time, snails without home to bemore specific =S

Sprintist, All the best to your quest for finding more homeless snails; I think they are quite hard to come by. Anyway, have you ever thought going into macro photography since you are into photographing small things. For me, I personally find it is really an art capturing those amazing shots.

Cheers,
Tantor

Yes tantor, did thought about that long ago. Always felt like it but then sometimes think back, i've no stable income, photography is morelike a hobby than a career path for me. Unless I can get into some courses related to art and photography I wouldn't mind spending more bombs on equipment to play with as for now, i'll stick to budget first and practice x999..lol

Are you a professional photographer? Oh ya, i realised snails can swim. Or at least survive in water..haha realised a few days back when I place a large snail in a playground slightly flooded with water to see it finding its way out. Abit cruel i know..haha =X :confused:

Yes tantor, did thought about that long ago. Always felt like it but then sometimes think back, i've no stable income, photography is morelike a hobby than a career path for me. Unless I can get into some courses related to art and photography I wouldn't mind spending more bombs on equipment to play with as for now, i'll stick to budget first and practice x999..lol

Are you a professional photographer? Oh ya, i realised snails can swim. Or at least survive in water..haha realised a few days back when I place a large snail in a playground slightly flooded with water to see it finding its way out. Abit cruel i know..haha =X :confused:

Dear Sprintist,

Just came in to check on the bulletin boards, and found your reply. I sincerely hope that you still check on this post. I can understand your feelings with regards to spending top dollar for good lens, but I guess we all have to make do with the resources that we hold in our lives. As the hobby goes into a full passion love for capturing time in its essence, you'll slowly and surely be expanding your repository of skills and of course your equipment too. In the meantime, enjoy photography for what it is, and constantly look back at your own photos to see how it could have been improved. Over time, you'll have a solid set of fundamentals that will see you through most photographic situations.

As for me, I'm just an amateur photographer... slowly moving from a normal handheld 4 megapixel camera to a DSLR within the last 4 years, picking up pointers from people I meet and from the magazines I read. Like you said, its a hobby for me too, but something which takes me out of my normal routine of life, and to really concentrate and appreciate for what life is.

To a Wonderful Future,
Tantor

I never knew snails move faster than you can focus ... hmmm ... auto focus technology gone to the snails? :)

well i'm back! havent been coming to cs for a long time. well i'm learning too, from espion. my new shifu haha and its very fun and something i enjoy about.

hmm the snail couldn't have been more nervous to seek shelter knowing i am shooting him without his shell..haha

Status
Not open for further replies.