Home studio

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
Hi, Anyone is good in homemade setup studio for product shoot? Like what kinda setup do i need for a home made setup studio that is good for product shooting. like where to get those backlight stands and what kind of back drop do i need?

what kind of "product" you plan on shooting? Question like Size for one is very important.

If you're on a budget, you can start cheap and cheerful. Some basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zARqGgHjNc

There are other vids in the series. Have a look and pick up some ideas.
I used to have a simple setup with Ikea bookends to hold my reflectors -- A3 and A4 mounting boards (black on one side, white on the other)

Hi all, sorry bout the incomplete info. im looking to shoot those small n medium size objects. probably not more than what a small table can put. as it will be a in house studio.

i will be more concern on the backdrop and the lighting system. is there a small enough lighting system for this shoot as it will be in my house( which is cram) i cant afford those studio size big lighting system with softbox kind.

Hi all, sorry bout the incomplete info. im looking to shoot those small n medium size objects. probably not more than what a small table can put. as it will be a in house studio.

i will be more concern on the backdrop and the lighting system. is there a small enough lighting system for this shoot as it will be in my house( which is cram) i cant afford those studio size big lighting system with softbox kind.

Small and medium size means different thing to different people.

If you are talking about things not bigger than 20cm, you can try using a light tent instead of the trouble of backdrops, etc.... They costs less than $80 and you can even DIY one... See here for examples. Note that if you need to shoot things like glass, or bottles etc, you need to know how to add shadows/edges to your setup. Black cards etc are useful if shooting a white background. If not just shoot black background, and the white sides of the light tent will give you some contrasts.

I also use one, and this is the result when using the light tent, with a single off camera flash:
5412233075_210ecb76db.jpg

5734079581_c012b5a0c9_m.jpg

Last edited:
hmm okay. 2nd important question, what method do you intend to use? As I see it there are 2 ways, first is by chucking your products into a light tent which I think is the simplest & direct way of getting acceptable images. Second is by actually learning product / table top lighting. Backdrop can just buy a white/grey A1 vanguard sheet from Art Friend.

Either way, you can use speedlights or IKEA continuous day-rated lights.

You definitely learn more technical skills via the second method, since it tests ingenuity etc etc since you are saying can't afford softboxes. And the light tent method basically provides a 360 softbox for you. Decision is yours.

A lot of the online shops in CS stock such kits, I think you should have a good browse there.