Home Studio For Toy Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazukijun

Jan 22, 2007
Hi all.

I would like to set up a mini home studio for toy photography but do not know how to go about it.

Would appreciate if anyone can help me out, such as the type of lights I need to buy.
Do I need a light tent or any other sort of equipments?

Thanks alot!

more important is what kind of lighting you want

u mean to say for toys also got diff kind of lightings style like rembrandt, low/high key etc...?:dunno:

yes, when the toys are 3 D face masks of celebrities. haha!

u mean to say for toys also got diff kind of lightings style like rembrandt, low/high key etc...?:dunno:

a light tent is for more even kind of light, kinda like simple product shots
if the photographer want mood shots then you would need different equipment to achieve

I think some low powered lights would do, probably 2 x 150w-400w lights, then maybe a lighttent. What kind of toy will you be shooting?

Hmm...ok, Im really a noob with lights, do you have any website that I can take a look for reference.

As for what kind of toys, I'll say a pretty wide range...
take a look over here http://www.flickr.com/photos/19526133@N00/ if your interested, comments, criticism are welcomed, so that I can improved.

Thks for the help :)

a light tent is for more even kind of light, kinda like simple product shots
if the photographer want mood shots then you would need different equipment to achieve

I see...
I was thinking of using coloured lights too.
Btw, what different equipments are you talking about?
thks alot for the help!

Are you refering to a photo booth?
I am not sure if you are looking to DIY something like this,
but I have done one myself for GUNDAM and other PVC figurines.
as for lighting, if u mean colored light as incandescent,
just WB lor.

Photo Studio version 2 (PS v.2)
as posted earlier in CS

some pictures of toys taken:

GFF Crossbone XM-X2
img84394jy.jpg

Revoltech MazinKaiser
miniimg02319rf.jpg

Revoltech Overman
overman2ndimpact019wj.jpg

Hope that helps.
;)

what backdrop u guys are using? Those manjong paper look to soft.

Hey cool!, thats kinda what Im looking for.
Just a question, where do you get the table lights?
Thanks appreciate it!!!

Hey cool!, thats kinda what Im looking for.
Just a question, where do you get the table lights?
Thanks appreciate it!!!

i got my lamps from ikea,
or any generic table lamps will do,
just make sure you get a DAYLIGHT bulb (or else you will have to do WB if you using tungsten or incandescent).

;)

Does WB affect your photo quality in anyway. I only have tungsten and halogen lights

Does WB affect your photo quality in anyway. I only have tungsten and halogen lights
if you don't mix your light source, that won't be any problem, just set the WB accordingly.

btw, a tripod is needed, as you able to go lower shutter speed to get smaller aperture.

Questions

1) You mean need Daylight bulb to get white? Are they known was Daylight bulb on the bulb or they have another name? Dont remember seeing this name on common bulbs leh.

2) If use Tungsten or Halogen lights need to adjust White Balance? How to do it?

3) Cannot combine say Halogen lights on top and then on the two sides other normal lights? If just use one Halogen lights on top, can?

Please advise cos I am new too and would like to get a tent (prob from someone at Clubsnap) and some lights from Ikea.

4) If tent is 75cm, how much must the watt be at least?

Cheers
Peilling

Questions

1) You mean need Daylight bulb to get white? Are they known was Daylight bulb on the bulb or they have another name? Dont remember seeing this name on common bulbs leh.

2) If use Tungsten or Halogen lights need to adjust White Balance? How to do it?

3) Cannot combine say Halogen lights on top and then on the two sides other normal lights? If just use one Halogen lights on top, can?

Please advise cos I am new too and would like to get a tent (prob from someone at Clubsnap) and some lights from Ikea.

4) If tent is 75cm, how much must the watt be at least?

Cheers
Peilling

1) Commonly there are 2 type of fluorescent light bulb in the market, warm daylight & cool daylight, warm daylight varies from 2700k to 3000k while cool daylight will be about 4000k, and there is some 6500k types also labelled as cool daylight, slightly bluish but really good for product shoot...

2) simplest method, if your cam can do custom white balance, just take a white card or board, position your light source already, then place the white card over, if you have a zoom lens better still... just zoom all the way covering the white card, or if yours is white tent, then just do the custom white balance. viola, or, if u know how many kelvins your light emitting, can try setting it.

3) Halogen's color is rather warm, mixing light will show weird colors across the screen... if its not really critical, its ok... best to get all the same lighting, even different flashes from different brands have slight color difference.

4) that really depends, i have a 75cm tent white, i used 2 60w (iirc) 6500k and 1 60w below, doesn't seem enuff... i ended up with flashes in the end... anyway, those are big lights not available in ikea... and ikea lights are all warm, no point using if you are doing product shoots... i recommend only getting their holders, but that said, some modifications are needed if you want to use them with special bulbs even thou they are E27. Anyway, i'd rather get cheap studio flashes than to get ikea stands, i wasted about the same amount of money when i get those lamps, they're perfectly useless in a corner of my storage room.

Status
Not open for further replies.