Home-made Expodisc

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldkhoo

Jun 15, 2007
The Tiny Red Dot
After owning the Expodisc for awhile, I was wondering how difficult it would be to have a home-made one... so I decided to try an experiment.

I took a piece of Ikea rubber drawer lining (see pic below), and pasted a normal white photocopy paper to it (I believe it is 80 GSM paper), and you can see the results of this test below. I did not edit the pictures I took, merely resized them.

Ikea rubber drawer lining
Ikea_rubber_lining_small_.JPG

How the device looks
device_small_.JPG

Next post on the pictures taken with this device...

The following were taken using an Ikea throw up light with a warm bulb.

Picture taken with AWB
AWB_small_.JPG

Picture taken with Expodisc
with_Expodisc_small_.JPG

Picture taken with homemade device
with_homemade_device_small_.JPG

So... here's the results of my experiment... I'm sure there are other ways to have a home-made expodisc ;)

wow... that's pretty impressive DIY white balance kit...

the DIY kit looks better imo
btw which camera ur using?

the DIY kit looks better imo
btw which camera ur using?

Yep... I was surprised at the results, and the DIY thingy does look better...

I'm using a D300, and the lens used in these pics is the 50mm f/1.4.

Hmmm... i thought the D300 has better AWB than that.

Anyway, interesting and thanks for posting.

Hmmm... i thought the D300 has better AWB than that.

Anyway, interesting and thanks for posting.

Yes... D300 has better AWB, but AWB is only for a certain range. Based on the manual pg. 128, AWB works in the color temperature range of 3500-8000. So in very orangy lighting, it would still require a custom adjustment.

Cool, cut some for me too!

Great stuff. But I dont really understand how it works? Care to explain?

Do you place if right infront of ur lens during shoot or....?

a picture to explain will be great!

Great stuff. But I dont really understand how it works? Care to explain?

Do you place if right infront of ur lens during shoot or....?

a picture to explain will be great!

basically, you go to custom white balance and do a reading with this thing covering your lens. If it is a good reading, it will show GOOD on the display.

i normally use the quick method to get the wb using this thing...
1. goto custom white balance
2. press WB button until the PRE flashes
3. place this thing in front of the lens (cover the lens) and press the shutter release with the lens pointing to the light source.
4. if it is a good reading, it will show GOOD on the display.
5. remove the thing and shoot the subject.

this thing works like a grey card. the difference is that a grey card reflects light to the camera while this is a filter where the light passes through to the camera, and is more accurate than a grey card. if you look through the VF, you will see the thing as greyish.

now what goes on in the camera... hehe... i'm clueless :O

basically, you got to custom white balance and do a reading with this thing covering your lens. If it is a good reading, it will show GOOD on the display.

i normally use the quick method to get the wb using this thing...
1. goto custome white balance
2. press WB button until the PRE flashes
3. place this thing in front of the lens (cover the lens) and press the shutter release with the lens pointing to the light source.
4. if it is a good reading, it will show GOOD on the display.
5. remove the thing and shoot the subject.

this thing works like a grey card. the difference is that a grey card reflects light to the camera while this is a filter where the light passes through to the camera, and is more accurate than a grey card. if you look through the VF, you will see the thing as greyish.

Showing good text is it only for nikon camera?

hey... ur images with the DIY expodisc looks much better than the expodisc it self!!! I'm impressed!!! I'm going to do one myself! Been wanting to get an expodisc, but this DIY thingy simply impressive... thanks gerald :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can i just clarify how do we use this thing.
Hand held the device infront of lens. set lens to focus at infinity. point at the lightsource and shoot a pic. after which follow the camera manual to apply the image as custom wb.

Does this work with Oly E-1 which has an external WB sensor?

Good DIY job, BTW. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.