Home interior shoot.

Gikens

Jun 22, 2011
Hi Peeps, my friend is asking me for a favour to do for him a home interior photo shoot so that he can upload to his website. I have never done any home interior shoot before but willing to give it a try and my friend are aware of it. Need some advise on the gears I need to prepare and things I need to look out for. These are the gears I had.
Nikon D7000
Nikon D600
Sigma 10-20mm DX
Tamron 24-70mm FX
Sigma 17-50mm DX
SB910 and SB900
2 light stand
2 white umbrella
2 black umbrella
Pls advise me on the gear that suit the most or what other gears I can look at too.
Thanks.

D7000 and Sigma 10-20 lens is all you need.

you are shooting a home right? than can forget about setting up any umbrella, unless his house have high ceiling and super spacious.

and it is not easy to set up lighting for interior shots, your lights will show up in reflection somewhere some how, so be prepare to test and test and test and test and test...

KEEP IT SIMPLE is all you need.

Last edited:
D7000 and Sigma 10-20 lens is all you need.

you are shooting a home right? than can forget about setting up any umbrella, unless his house have high ceiling and super spacious.

and it is not easy to set up lighting for interior shots, your lights will show up in reflection somewhere some how, so be prepare to test and test and test and test and test...

KEEP IT SIMPLE is all you need.

Thanks for the reply. He will be bring me to his client home to shoot. Do you think I should bring flash just incase the light source not enough? Lol...
Btw need tripod?

There's a lot more to interior photography then we can tell you here.

If its just a normal house, a camera body with a wide angle lens should suffice. Tripod is a must because you might be shooting in low light conditions with slower shutter speeds. The tripod will also let you level up the set up easier.

Use tripod to bracket your shoot (5-7 stop) then use Photomatix to produce the final image.

Just try out by taking your own home / office whatever interior that interests you. Then you would know what the difficulties are.

Thanks for all the reply and advise.
I still thinking of using my new equipment D600 and 24-70mm but I worry it not wide enough...😜

Thanks for all the reply and advise.
I still thinking of using my new equipment D600 and 24-70mm but I worry it not wide enough...��
D600 with Sigma 10-20? D600 should switch to FX mode, resulting image will be 15mm FF equivalent. Much wider than 24mm.

D600 with Sigma 10-20? D600 should switch to FX mode, resulting image will be 15mm FF equivalent. Much wider than 24mm.

Sorry I dun get wat u mean... you saying use my D600 with 10-20 instead of 24-70? Is that wat u are saying?

Sorry I dun get wat u mean... you saying use my D600 with 10-20 instead of 24-70? Is that wat u are saying?
Yes. Please correct me if there's something wrong with that approach. I'm not familiar with Nikon, only extrapolating what I have read about Nikon's possibility to use FF sensors in DX mode when DX lenses are attached.

Yes. Please correct me if there's something wrong with that approach. I'm not familiar with Nikon, only extrapolating what I have read about Nikon's possibility to use FF sensors in DX mode when DX lenses are attached.

Nope.. nothing wrong. Yes.. can mount DX len on D600.

bring feets for your flash. at times u need some light to darken the dark spots alittle. u can hide the flash under/behind sofa/table/chairs and etc.

if ur only 1 person. i suggest u keep it light and simple. to lighten overall area use flash. to brighten subject like sofa and etc, use a small led with lightstand and swirel head. try bringing 2-4 Zflash. I use it for my shoots once inawhile when needed. but most of the time i would rather use 2dedo lights to spot and maybe 2red heads.

check out the commercial video for hotel/resort me and my team did on http://www.youtube.com/user/AsiaTravelTV

From the questions you asked, you don't seem to have much experience with shooting interiors. I'd suggest you keep equipment down to minimal. Forget about additional flashes/strobes. Learn to use the available lightings.

but most of the time i would rather use 2dedo lights to spot and maybe 2red heads.
This is serious big budget video production.

This is serious big budget video production.

start up cost is pretty costly. custom made dolly and light weight jib arm and etc but once the project start coming in, it is more worth than renting.
been doing this for 4 years. still a newbie, much to learn

Well, you don't always need a flash, especially when you aren't sure of how to control your light.

This shot was taken without use of additional lighting.

Although I personally think this shot is decent, I later learnt that there are a couple of fatal flaws... Well, we all learn...

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg