Holiday Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjerome

May 24, 2008
Hey guys i need some help,

i am headed to phuket in about 2 weeks time for a short vacation with my friends.

i have thought about getting a tripod and a lens filter for some time now and since i am headed out of town i thought it may be well a good time to purchase those

thing is i do not really know how to go about choosing them as i have rather minimal experience, would be great if i could get some advise on this. i suspect most of the time my camera will be used to take photos of the beaches, sunrise and sunset thingys.

i own a Nikon D60 and have the 17-35mm kit lens as well as a 50mm f1.8 lens

so please enlighten me on what would be a good choice of tripod and filter (not too expensive i hope) and also where at which shop can i get those?

Thanks!!!!

You'll probably want a cheap and light tripod for travel. Light because you are travelling around, cheap because you might lose or damage them. If the tripod is too unstable when the winds are strong, you can weigh it down with a bag.

You can get polarising filter for your scenic shots. Bring the lens along to the shop to make sure the filter fits your lens.

thanks for the input, i've ssen many shops at sim lim square that sells these things, what are some of the better shops to go to if anyone can tell me

I bought a cheap, light, Nikon branded (probably fake) "full height" (i.e. not the 12 inch tall kind) tripod at Sim Lim two weeks ago for S$35. Comes with a little bag to carry it around. I just walked into one of the shops on the first floor and said "I need a cheap tripod". He showed me the tripod and wanted S$55. I said, not thanks, and then as I was walking out he immediately said "$35 if you want it". I feel like I could have gotten it for S$25 if I bargained a little, but S$35 was already cheap enough.

Do a web search on filters and you'll find a lot of results. See here, for example:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

I've used Hoya and Tiffen filters. I remember them being cheap and giving good results. At the moment I am filter-free, though I have been thinking of getting a polarizing filter myself. I'll probably get a Hoya.

if you're anticipating good weather and clear blue skies, a circular polariser would be very useful...;) it's the one thing i always pack on my beach hols...

thanks for the input, i've ssen many shops at sim lim square that sells these things, what are some of the better shops to go to if anyone can tell me

Avoid Sim Lim.

Filter may check this
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530206

Tripod, Benro should be good for you. Check the Mass Order / Sell forum

hey guys, i went down to simlims to get my router today, at the same time i got my filters and tripod.

i got a steinzeizer tripod + steinzeizer CPL filter + vitacon UV filter for total of 185.

did i tio "tock"? the uncle initially quoted me 60 for the tripod, 65 for the uv and 135 for the cpl which is like 260. then after a bit of bargaining and telling him then i got no money he say give me package at 185, just want to know if this was a good deal

hey guys, i went down to simlims to get my router today, at the same time i got my filters and tripod.

i got a steinzeizer tripod + steinzeizer CPL filter + vitacon UV filter for total of 185.

did i tio "tock"? the uncle initially quoted me 60 for the tripod, 65 for the uv and 135 for the cpl which is like 260. then after a bit of bargaining and telling him then i got no money he say give me package at 185, just want to know if this was a good deal

If you have checked the Buy and Sell forums, you would have seen that the prices for the filters are going at a fraction of what was quoted in SLS.

To be safe, next time ask here if its overpriced before you make the purchase. To be safer, avoid Sim Lim. Its not a place I would recommend people to go without doing their homework first.

i think u did..
what is the tripod model number?
wouldn't cost more than 45 dollars?

vitacon UV filter for how many mm?
wouldn't cost more than 20 dollars?

CPL filter the most is 50-70?
what u guys think?

Oh no! I rememered I liked a light cheap tripod that cost me around $20.

Avoid Sim Lim.

Filter may check this
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530206

Tripod, Benro should be good for you. Check the Mass Order / Sell forum

Shen siung already told you to avoid SLS, aiyah
also if you browse this forum, you will notice that there are also price lists for you to take price reference so that you don't get cheated.

SLS mostly good for computer parts, for camera stuff go to the peninsular area

$135 for a Vitacon UV filter is BEYOND crazy. As I have never heard of the steinzeizer (?) brand, I can't comment...

Anyways, what's the point of asking whether you got a good deal AFTER buying them? If you were looking for decent prices and with a whole lot of convenience, you could just buy them off the local online shops and have them delivered them to you. Even that would have made for a much better deal. Sorry.

Bad idea to mix your purchases. Focus on one thing and do your homework BEFORE. What sense does it make to check afterward? You'll only see the bill of tuition fees you have paid.
Steinzeiser seems to be some funny OEM brand introduced in the market. Sounds like a German brand to me and I'm not sure whether some blokes play with the name "Zeiss" here. But you won't find those filters on any decent review of filters. Guess why?
Same goes for vitacon (or shall we spell it vita-conn?). Maybe the tripod for 60 is ok for your requirements, you'll see it soon.
Check the Filter Price guide. For 65 bucks you can get already B+W UV for smaller diameter. For 135 you can get a much better CPL (e.g. Hoya). Conclusion: money wasted, low quality stuffs acquired. Lesson learned?

Last edited:
i got a Slik sprint pro tripod fer a $80 bucks frm TK photo.

cheap , reliable n strong fer a small size tripod .

funny that you still ended up buying at SLS in spite of all the advice not to.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.