Holiday destination to decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Having a division exercise very soon, and after it ends, i'm having many days of off and leaves.. Thinking of going somewhere nearby for a 'photojournalistic' and 'life in a 3rd world country' kind of shoot.. Cambodia is a good place, but is there any other places?

Gimme some suggestions! Well only southeast-asia only. very very budget trip this is gonna be.

clive said:
tokyo :thumbsup:

did you read my post?

Having a division exercise very soon, and after it ends, i'm having many days of off and leaves.. Thinking of going somewhere nearby for a 'photojournalistic' and 'life in a 3rd world country' kind of shoot.. Cambodia is a good place, but is there any other places?

Gimme some suggestions! Well only southeast-asia only. very very budget trip this is gonna be.

humour only mah.. :bsmilie: :cool:

ok lah...then maybe thailand or cambodia :think:

clive said:
humour only mah.. :bsmilie: :cool:

ok lah...then maybe thailand or cambodia :think:

hey behyx... please dont scold clive...
...he's here for our entertainment
:D

Bintan - seaside, kampongs, farms...

StreetShooter said:
Sun, sand, sea and Singaporeans.... lots of Singaporeans.

Saw a pictorial about Bintan - cool stuff. This book can be found in MPH

If u can goto Jakarta it'll be good.

Vietnam is oso not bad.

many days off eh...
get a cheap ticket to bangkok and do an overland trip to cambodia/laos/myanmar etc
and if u have really many days off, you could start the overland from sg, via malaysia to thailand, to... yada yada...

OK thanks guys..

currently it's Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Bintan on my list. As the probability of me going alone is very high, i need to know which destination is safer in terms of crime rate.. I don't want to lug my cameras around and get rob at knife-point.

behyx said:
OK thanks guys..

currently it's Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Bintan on my list. As the probability of me going alone is very high, i need to know which destination is safer in terms of crime rate.. I don't want to lug my cameras around and get rob at knife-point.
When are you looking at?

I'd say Vietnam will be a good choice. Then again, I'd dearly love to return there... after so long.

VN/MH fares can be pretty decent too. Fly to HCMC/Saigon, and then go province exploring of the the 2 neighbouring provinces there..... esp just north of the the VSIP.

Azure said:
When are you looking at?

I'd say Vietnam will be a good choice. Then again, I'd dearly love to return there... after so long.

VN/MH fares can be pretty decent too. Fly to HCMC/Saigon, and then go province exploring of the the 2 neighbouring provinces there..... esp just north of the the VSIP.

Cool thanks Azure.. But how is the crime rate at Vietnam? Is the streets safe?

behyx said:
Cool thanks Azure.. But how is the crime rate at Vietnam? Is the streets safe?
Safe?!? I was walking at night alone when I was there.... but that was 8 years ago. 11pm-1am, wander from Nguyen Dinh Chieu to Le Loi to Tran Hung Dao to Nguyen Dinh Chieu. Now not so sure.

If my schedule permits, maybe might wanna go up in early-Sep. Then might ask my friends there to meet up. Then got free guide liaoz. :D

Even in advanced country like USA u can get robbed.

People like Alan Harvey and Steve McCurry when they go to Vietnam, Cambodia and Cuba, they would hire local guides.

U def wont hire a local gude and of course the next best action is if u have a native fren.

If I were going alone, I prob choose Malaysia.

behyx...

As discussed earlier, I should be able to join you in this "3rd World Country Expedition" u are racking your brain on, provided after 19 sept. My preferences would be:
1) Bintan Rural areas (most economical of all) :think:
2) Vietnam (taking in2 consideration the fun company of Azure + free local guide):blah:
3) Nepal (More $$)

Update me when u have made ur decision,kkk.... :p

Aurora said:
2) Vietnam (taking in2 consideration the fun company of Azure + free local guide)
Oi!

My expect availability is only during the 1-week Sep school break.... :cry: or after 1st week of Nov. :confused:

BTW, welcome back, aurora. ;)

Haha!

People, as for the destination, i'll see how it goes. Will be researching up on the net these days. Because i have limited time (i don't think i have much overseas leave to clear this yr), i need to plan the size of the country vs my time on hand.. I can't possibly cover a large country by just 3-5 days.. I'll miss out a lot of things and i don't like to rush my time in a foreign country.

By the way, this trip is gonna be something like a backpacking trip.. No luxury hotels, maybe just backpacker/traveller lodge (if they have) for accomodation, that's all. I believe that the lesser $ u spend, the more you can see and experience.

OT a bit, I also heading for a div exercise next week, except that I'm a NSMan. Maybe we will bump into each other.... :D

Been to vietnam too. Wasn't a photoshooting trip but backpacked though. The food was good and cost was low too. Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.