Holiday at hokkaido

strikeback4

Deregistered
Apr 14, 2010
Hi All

I'm going to hokkaido next month for 1 week, need advice any photography equiment to look out for that is value for money

2nd thing is if i bring anything back to SG, how do i not pay the gst? other than throwing away the packaging?

I'm going to hokkaido next month for 1 week, need advice any photography equiment to look out for that is value for money
If you know what you need then check the prices here and compare in the shops there. If you have just itchy pocket better upgrade your hotel or spend it with your gf/wife/kids (whatever is applicable). Don't buy just for "just value for money, let's see later how to use".
2nd thing is if i bring anything back to SG, how do i not pay the gst? other than throwing away the packaging?
You seriously ask here for ways to mislead your nation's custom officers? :think: You've got a nerve! :sweat:

if box is important, u can just mail the box back ;p

customs are more interested in wine, cigarettes and alcohol items

currently the Yen is rather high.

frankly, there aint much general stuff to get from Japan. When I went to Japan, the photography items are about the same price as local stores.
not worth the hassle - warranty, GST, carrying it back.. etc.

Japan prices and here not much diff...

HK is a better bet...

hmm... right now i need a tripod plus a bigger & stronger bag.........

guess have to get it locally :)

Hi All

Buy what you need. Not what is value for money.

My 2 cents.:)

Buy what you need. Not what is value for money.

My 2 cents.:)

lol, i tot there will be some item at japan that will be cheaper than sg or cannot be found at sg...

guess not....

Do u have to declare and pay GST for the goods you buy overseas? No right, if that is the case, then all other items you get overseas need to pay right?

For what i understand is only for alcohol, cigarette and goods that bring in to sell. Buying things for own use, no need to pay bah... in fact, if you buy overseas, you can claim their GST too, that will make your item cheaper too.

Am i right?

currently the Yen is rather high.

frankly, there aint much general stuff to get from Japan. When I went to Japan, the photography items are about the same price as local stores.
not worth the hassle - warranty, GST, carrying it back.. etc.
You can still find good deal in Japan if you know where to look for. For example, the Kiss X4 (550D) twin kit (18-55 plus 55-250) is only about 1242 sgd even after 7% GST (http://kakaku.com/item/K0000089559/)

I always use kakaku for price comparison. However, the drawbacks are:

1. You need to be able to find your way to the shop.
2. You can only pay by cash.
3. The sales person often speak little or no English.
4. Camera body does not carry international warranty, only lens do.

So you have to do your sum and see if it is still worth it.

And one more bad thing is. If i am not wrong, canon does not honour international warranty for lenses anymore for purchases made after 1st sep.

And one more bad thing is. If i am not wrong, canon does not honour international warranty for lenses anymore for purchases made after 1st sep.

bro... I'm a nikon user =.=