holga or pentax super A?!?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

photogal7

Sep 1, 2008
Eunos
Argh i can't decide..
i'm just an amateur photographer whose interests in photography started when she joined the photography club in school..
an ironic thing about me is that i'm a photographer without a camera, so i'm like, browsing around and stuff, looking for the right camera with a price that won't burn a hole in my (my mom's) pocket..
i like the holga for its unique pictures, but i'd be spending $80 (or a $100 if i get the panorama adaptor which gives u sprocket holes in the picture which is super cool!) on a 'plastic toy camera' heh :bsmilie:.
or i could get a Pentax super A, which, according to all those reviews, is really good.. but i'd be spending a lot more on this than the holga, and i'm kinda on a real tight budget..

howhowhow?!

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Ask yourself if you want to get a toy or a solid tool, and you'll have the answer.

Pentax Super A is super old, like from 1984. You will be buying sometime roughly a quarter of a century old. Not certain of its reliability, although old Pentaxes should still work. Oh it's also a film camera.

Never tried Holga, but from what I know this is a curious little toy that does curious thing (note it is a singular). Something like a one-trick pony.

I say, if you are really into photography, you need a proper camera. Pentax Super A is a proper camera, Holga is a one-trick pony.

Aside from that my guess is that you should consider a more recent camera with decent reliability. Although if you know the reliability of the Pentax Super A and you can get a decent lens without fungus with it, and at a cheap price, go for it.

okay then i guess i won't be getting the holga so soon.. ^_^

i know the pentax uses film, and i know it uses 35mm (which isnt that bad.. compared to the medium format that holga uses, which are expensive!!)

i could get a nikon d40, but the thing is, i'm sort of looking for something special. as in the camera.. also, i dont think i have the money for a D40 just yet, or any other digital SLRs for that matter. so i guess i'll spend that $300 on a pentax!!

:sweatsm::sweatsm::sweatsm:

any film camera users wana give me any advice on using film cameras?? especially pentaxes?

okay then i guess i won't be getting the holga so soon.. ^_^

i know the pentax uses film, and i know it uses 35mm (which isnt that bad.. compared to the medium format that holga uses, which are expensive!!)

i could get a nikon d40, but the thing is, i'm sort of looking for something special. as in the camera.. also, i dont think i have the money for a D40 just yet, or any other digital SLRs for that matter. so i guess i'll spend that $300 on a pentax!!

:sweatsm::sweatsm::sweatsm:

any film camera users wana give me any advice on using film cameras?? especially pentaxes?

D40 plus kit lens is like ~680. Not sure what your 300 buys for the pentax, maybe Super A plus 50mm f/1.7? Add the 50mm f/1.8D (have to manual focus on D40) you're talking about 800. The difference will pay be paid back in 1 year if you shoot a fair bit, assuming you have the computer hardware.

Can try the second hand market for the D40 or D60 (better IMHO). Check out the classified section in this forum.

I was a film user for over 20 years and since 2002 had gone digital. No turning back.

the $300 for pentax is including a 28mm lens, i dont think i really wana go beyond that price for any other cameras..
i'll start small while im still young haha^^
maybe when i start working and i have enough money i'll get a nikon slr or something..
but yeah..
i can just experiment with the pentax and stuff??
but i definitely won't be getting those small digital cameras like canon ixuses and stuff.

the $300 for pentax is including a 28mm lens

You are aware that there are much less expensive options? E.g., there's a lot of Minolta X700's of the same era with lenses going relatively cheap.

yep i'm checking out the minolta SLRs now..
and i can't decide..
=.=

Status
Not open for further replies.