Holding steady

ralfale

Dec 25, 2006
I tried watching YouTube videos on holding n breathing techniques. As much as I tried, I couldn't make it super steady like a tripod and keep the focus point exactly at same spot for more than 2 seconds. Is this even possible to achieve? Any tips to share?

I tried watching YouTube videos on holding n breathing techniques. As much as I tried, I couldn't make it super steady like a tripod and keep the focus point exactly at same spot for more than 2 seconds. Is this even possible to achieve? Any tips to share?

Don't understand... you mean, hold onto an exact position unaided with a shutter speed of 2sec? If that is the case, I don't think many people can do it. The lowest I can go is 1/6 second without tripod or monopod.

As to keeping your camera steady, it take quite a bit of practice and different people had different technique that works for them. Some say, take a deep breath, hold still and shoot... other say, relax, no need to take a deep breath and not releasing that breath because it will cause your heart beat faster and that will cause some shaking.

In the beginning, you might want to find a place where you can lean on, or place your camera on... be creative... a tree, a bench, the wall, even lying on the ground helps. If you have been to Army and handle a rifle before, the same techniques applies.

If really really cannot... get yourself a monopod.

Last edited:

Possible. You would have to be a rock, that's all. :bsmilie:

One way to get a good 2 second exposure after many tries is to brace yourself.

If you have been to Army and handle a rifle before, the same techniques applies. If really really cannot... get yourself a monopod.

Haha! Yes! I find that applying a shooting technique helps alot!

- follow thru - not "snapping" the shutter, meaning progressively going to half press and then holding it at the 'full press' for moment after the shot with the camera still aimed.

- Sometimes i find that i cant stop a slight rocking/swaying of the cam. And i just allow my body to move with the camera, because countering it may induce more camera shake and sway.

:) maybe you could do some free weights, help strengthen the core :)

Or you could set the shutter to a 2 sec delay. So that the moment you press the trigger, you concentrate on holding the camera steady. You can then eliminate and shake due to your finger moving and the shift of weight when you press the trigger. ALl the best and do let us know whats the best you can achieve. (Note, if you use a lens with IS could it go even slower? Hahah..)

use wide angle lens, or go up to your subject at point blank range.

my Sensei said
to be steady like rock
must have chi of rock.

it's way easier to use a tripod for anything longer than 1/10. there are inexpensive ones out there. or use a bean bag. my most extreme was using my dinner of roti prata as a support on a platform to get the shot.

my Sensei said
to be steady like rock
must have chi of rock.

it's way easier to use a tripod for anything longer than 1/10. there are inexpensive ones out there. or use a bean bag. my most extreme was using my dinner of roti prata as a support on a platform to get the shot.
or totally without "chi"........

2 sec...
Very difficult... Like other mention u will need to be very Very steady.
Just get tripod/monopod/clamp or put it on a table or rest it on the railings with your hands supporting the camera.

even you can, does not mean you should.

use a tripod and any supports when is needed, it is more productive and convenient to get usable shots with tripod.

even you can, does not mean you should.

use a tripod and any supports when is needed, it is more productive and convenient to get usable shots with tripod.

Yes, rather carry the tripod around and get 100% of 2 second shots then to sit there and be a clown trying to get 1% of 100 2 second shots sharp. :bsmilie:

That said, sometimes if you don't have a choice then you don't have a choice.

Hey guys. Appreciate all the comments.

Yes that's right I really mean holding steady for 2 sec exposure. Looks like not very possible huh? Hehe .
I never think much into this topic previously until my recently acquired 70-200 non IS.Without a tripod, I find myself getting 1 out of 10 shots sharp. Was trying to find a tripod free solution as I don't always carry tripod around. Was hoping to improve my fundamental to make the lens more usable. Of course the next easier alternative is just to pay more for the IS version.

Hey guys. Appreciate all the comments.

Yes that's right I really mean holding steady for 2 sec exposure. Looks like not very possible huh? Hehe .
I never think much into this topic previously until my recently acquired 70-200 non IS.Without a tripod, I find myself getting 1 out of 10 shots sharp. Was trying to find a tripod free solution as I don't always carry tripod around. Was hoping to improve my fundamental to make the lens more usable. Of course the next easier alternative is just to pay more for the IS version.

Er... no... the next easier alternative and most probably the cheaper alternative is to get a monopod. I used monopod for my 300mm f4L (non-IS version) and taken very sharp and crisp photos.

What i do is to hold my breath and close my arms tight to the body..but even this doesnt help in certain situations

I always try to place the camera on a solid platform for support.

It's really very difficult to hold steady for 2 seconds even with image stabilization. You should invest in a tripod/monopod and take pictures while putting your camera on a steady surface instead of hand-held.

Erm.. have you heard about the rule of thumb that shutter speed should be somewhere at or faster than 1 / focal length? Even excluding crop factor your recommended shutter speed should be at or above 1/200s for longest focal length. How does this fit into your 2s exercise? But at least it could be an explanation for your low hit rate ..

Who has achieved a sharp image with a 2 sec exposure hand-held, raise your hand?

For me :thumbsd:

Tripod is the only solution then. I don't really have much options .

Last edited: