Hobbyists: do you think you can survive using your DSLR in Auto Mode for 1 week?

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
Hi sempai and seniors and clubsnappers

This is a serious thread. That's why I don't ask in Kopitiam Subforum. So please give serious opinion ok ? :angel:

Do you think you can survive using your DSLR in Auto Mode for 1 week? To shoot everything you would usually shoot during a week?

(If you barely use your DSLR during a week, how about a suitably long duration of 1 month or a fortnight?)

Thanks for your input.

I am curious to try this experiment.

But I am also curious to find out if anyone has tried this before (or lost their sanity doing so). Thank you in advance!

Don't know how to answer this question because it's not in the Kopitiam section :think:

Sorry, can't help.....................:sweat:.............................:angel:

Am I allowed to adjust the exposure compensation?

But in general, no, I cannot use auto mode the entire week, simply because most of my work involves long exposure and out-of-focus play, and I need my aperture and shutter controls to do that.

Perhaps P mode, with me adjusting the aperture, but certainly not full auto.

Seriously, I dun think I can shoot in auto mode for the whole week. Perhaps if is in P mode I might still be able to do it.

The limit is aperture priority. I totally cant envision myself shooting buildings with full auto. I won't have a sense of security. :bsmilie:

When just started to hold camera to take photos, think can't survive without the auto mode.
Now is think can't survive with just auto mode.. Maybe at least a least P mode..

I guess not, auto-mode probably able to if it is in-door with good lighting context.

Anything other then in-door + Good lighting = can't do with auto, Aperture Priority would be one of the more decent + fast settings.

I definitely cannot.

But if it's it's a week of casual travel (strictly taking only family/friends "pose & smile" shots), then yes can

Quite a boliao question to start with.

What for bring heavy dslr to shoot in auto when I can use my camera phone.

Don't tell me about better sensor than compact or hp. Shooting every type of scene in auto is still half f**k.

Anyway u can choose to shoot in auto as long as u happy. That's not my aim of using dslr in any case. I don't waste my money.

Last edited:
I don't think my cameras have auto mode.
The only time I tried with A mode is shooting time lapse in some siturations, but not always work...

Hope this answer your question.

I don't think it's that bad. As for me my shots are a mix of portraits, landscapes and everything in between (I'm a hobbyist after all) to put the camera in AUTO mode means less control but also less fuss on the settings used. To look at the bright side, it means you concentrate solely on composition. My gut feel is that the camera will select the same settings as what I would have done so in Av/Tv mode anyway 75% of the time.

Then again, I will feel bad having spent so much time and money buying a DSLR and not making full use of the functions offered by it.

Most of my cameras do not come with Auto mode. The only one that do, I use it most of the time.

I may go crazy first. The camera tends to throw the settings way off. And I won't be able to use a permanent f2.8 setting either. :bsmilie:

Auto mode? :eek:

490deb1464cad.jpg

Text translation: Why not kill me with one shot (bullet)

Last edited:
Woohoo! I win! I can use my DSLR for one week in Auto mode! Done that before :)

Afterall the question is if I can survive using my DSLR in auto mode for 1 week, never say anything about will I be pleased with the result!

eh, Auto mode i'd rather use my camera phone :complain:

on the serious note, im abit too used to shooting in manual, suddenly can only use auto will need some adjusting hahaha

eh, Auto mode i'd rather use my camera phone :complain:

on the serious note, im abit too used to shooting in manual, suddenly can only use auto will need some adjusting hahaha

Haha me too.

Try not to use Auto mode, use a black marker, draw out that "Green" logo if that helps....