StrifeYun

Nov 15, 2006
Rivervale Drive
Comments on how I can improve?
On the shot ?

Canon 40D + 100MM USM f/2.8 (MACRO)

2149456712_154e666d26_o.jpg

FYI - I made the bracelet :embrass:

too much DOF, higher aperture should be better... personal opinion :)

choose a part of the bracelet to be a subject, so that it stands out

colors wise, probably a bit more saturation, and better lighting

perhaps play with lighting to achieve a certain "sparkle" to jewellery

at the same time you might consider different ways to position the bracelet, it need not be a circular loop arrangement, you can have it linear as well, need not be flat on a surface, but can let it hang off something too.

just some ideas and some personal opinions,
cheers

Do what the jewellery companies do: present their bling on a dark background - the darker the BG, the more it brings out the colour and contrast of the product. Or if you need a white BG, learn how to control the light till you get white without blowing out the product.

Not easy - just have to keep on trying, but at least the product won;t get sian waiting for you and walk out of the studio!

Also, this might interest you: http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&q=How+to+photograph+jewellery&meta=

my 2 cents:
- need more diffused lighting to eliminate shadows
- underexposed
- since the baubles are colored, a pure white background would be better
- out of the entire bracelet, what is the central piece? focus on that & throw the rest out of focus in the background

okay, thanks guys.

Will take note any try again :)

hmm good idea on suggesting of a black background to get rid of some of the shadows.
I should have made if brighter in the exposure and try and get more "sparkle"
hmmm must find a subject on the bracelet (any suggestions for subject ?)

Comments on how I can improve?
On the shot ?

Canon 40D + 100MM USM f/2.8 (MACRO)

2149456712_154e666d26_o.jpg

FYI - I made the bracelet :embrass:

(Nice bracelet. Mask the light so that there are less hot spots. As I have commented in another post, shooting metallic objects is pretty hard and you have to light the subject very carefully in order to control the light, and the image is flat).

Do what the jewellery companies do: present their bling on a dark background - the darker the BG, the more it brings out the colour and contrast of the product. Or if you need a white BG, learn how to control the light till you get white without blowing out the product.

Not easy - just have to keep on trying, but at least the product won;t get sian waiting for you and walk out of the studio!

Also, this might interest you: http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&q=How+to+photograph+jewellery&meta=

Another thing is that if you use a dark background you might not have that problem with shadows anymore but becareful of the image becoming too flat =)

:p

Another thing is that if you use a dark background you might not have that problem with shadows anymore but becareful of the image becoming too flat =)

:p

worst... hard to bring the illumination out... black only good for solid items, not for translucent/transparent items. or extremely reflective items.

Ack for somebody with such a nice lineup of equipment your image looks terribly flat. Pump up the contrast and looks underexposed. BG should not be grey, thats an easy sign.

Something you can DIY to make your product shots look better. Here

Status
Not open for further replies.