Ho Chi Minh City

postal

Hi guys...

Will be going to HCMC for 5 days in early November... basically my plan is as follow...

1st day - reach around evening time... hang around in hcmc

2nd day - go to mui ne... stay there for 1 night

3rd day - afternoon back in hcmc... see those famous building...

4th day - go to cu chi... at night back to hcmc

5th day - prepare to go back to singapore....

looks pretty tight so wondering is it worthwhile to travel 5hrs to mui ne...

and erm... any hotel to recommend in hcmc? now looking at elios hotel... :-D

Hi guys...

You made a good plan. It is worth the while travelling to Mui Ne if you want to see the sand dunes. Otherwise go to Da Lat if you like the cool mountain air. About 7-8 hrs drive and spend 2 nights there.

Elios is perfect. You will like it. The SinhTourist is just round the corner at De Tham St where you can book your trip. And it is within walking distance to Ben Thanh market.

Hi guys...

Will be going to HCMC for 5 days in early November... basically my plan is as follow...

1st day - reach around evening time... hang around in hcmc

2nd day - go to mui ne... stay there for 1 night

3rd day - afternoon back in hcmc... see those famous building...

5th day - prepare to go back to singapore....

IMHO, Mui Ne doesn't have much attractions. Its also your camera's disaster. (Sand)

Spend more time in HCMC, walk around, just keep walking , just keep shooting.

For hotels, maybe you can try An An 2 Hotel, very friendly people and rooms are very very reasonably priced. Close to the famous Ben Thanh Market too.

You made a good plan. It is worth the while travelling to Mui Ne if you want to see the sand dunes. Otherwise go to Da Lat if you like the cool mountain air. About 7-8 hrs drive and spend 2 nights there.

Elios is perfect. You will like it. The SinhTourist is just round the corner at De Tham St where you can book your trip. And it is within walking distance to Ben Thanh market.

Thanks for the advice... guess I will stick to Elios then... dun think can stay dalat for 2 nights as it is my 1st time in vietnam... I wanna visit at least the cu chi tunnel and HCMC itself...

IMHO, Mui Ne doesn't have much attractions. Its also your camera's disaster. (Sand)

Spend more time in HCMC, walk around, just keep walking , just keep shooting.

For hotels, maybe you can try An An 2 Hotel, very friendly people and rooms are very very reasonably priced. Close to the famous Ben Thanh Market too.

Thanks for advice too... was thinking of letting go Mui Ne and explore more on HCMC... BTW, any other nearby attraction near HCMC (near distance such as cu chi tunnel etc...)?

BTW, will look at An An as well... thanks for the recommendation... :-D

Hi,

I am suggest you to stay some where near De Tham St., An An hotel is ok. To go to Mui Ne u should take train ( ard 5h as well) but more thing to shoot.
anyway if u want local guy there I can introduce to you :D ( I am HCM citizen).

Pm me.

Hi,

I been to cu chi before, I was brought there by my Vietnamese friends.
Nothing much there but alot of tunnels. The tunnels just fit an average asian man
on his arms and knees . And certain tunnels you have to crawl flat on your stomach.
Tunnels are pitch black and torch lights have to be used
Beware of pickpockets and snatch thief on motorcycle.

cheers

Last edited:
Cu Ci is a long drive! And not much photo ops ... the only thing that I like about that trip is I get to fire an AK47 with live rounds! heeehee ... not cheap though

At HCMC, be careful if you have a sling camera bag when crossing busy road ... ie. In front of Majestic Hotel to the Quey Side across. While you are watching for traffic on one side, motor bikes snatch thief will come from behind. Happened to me just this August. Lucky my bag was heavy and my hands was looped around the strap.

HCMC is food food food. Don't be shy to try to local food at Banh Thanh market. The snails, big head prawn and all those goodies. And yes ... the BBQ Pork rice that you can smell before you see!

Hotels in HCMC ... I like Park Hyatt. Service, location and room are excellent!

If you have the chance -- Sapa Vietnam. Northern Vietnam by overnight train from Hanoi. Maybe your next trip ... great photo ops

Hi guys...
u don't need a whole day cu chi, probably can consider enroute to cao dai ~ interesting & color temples & religion which a mixed of buddhism, daoism, christian etc principles

in hcmc, try the Embryonic duck eggs (Trung vit lon) if you dare :p
the street banh mi is good n cheap for breakfast

and die die must have fanny ice cream & crepes, very nice

http://www.fanny.com.vn/

enjoy!

Last edited:
u don't need a whole day cu chi, probably can consider enroute to cao dai ~ interesting & color temples & religion which a mixed of buddhism, daoism, christian etc principles

in hcmc, try the Embryonic duck eggs (Trung vit lon) if you dare :p
the street banh mi is good n cheap for breakfast

and die die must have fanny ice cream & crepes, very nice

http://www.fanny.com.vn/

enjoy!

I went there just in time for their ice cream buffect, what a treat !!

Thanks guys for all the info... Yeah I planning to go to cu chi and at the same time go to cao dai... that's y require one whole day...

Hehe! I wanna try the AK 47 also... wahaha!! erm... how expensive is expensive?

Now I felt like letting go of mui ne and spent more time on HCMC... according to my initial itinerary seems like only 1 day in HCMC only... and it is my first time going there...

BTW, is the chinatown (cholon) far from district 1? Unable to find a reliable map in the net so far... :'(

Thanks guys for all the info... Yeah I planning to go to cu chi and at the same time go to cao dai... that's y require one whole day...

Now I felt like letting go of mui ne and spent more time on HCMC... according to my initial itinerary seems like only 1 day in HCMC only... and it is my first time going there...

BTW, is the chinatown (cholon) far from district 1? Unable to find a reliable map in the net so far... :'(

When i was staying @ AnAn2 Hotel, De Tham street, i had to cross 1 street to a bus stop and take the public bus to Chinatown market.
Alternatively, you can hail a taxi, pretty affordable.

Cholon is in District 5, which is Soouth West of District 1. There is a large market (Binh Tay Market) in that district. I bought dried lotus seeds there - they can be eaten as is, like peanuts but taste better - and candied lotus seeds. Naturally, the latter is sweet since it is preserved in sugar. I found this market much less touristy compared to Ben Thanh market.

It is a fair distance from District 1; about 3 km as the bird flies from Ben Thanh market. I took a taxi there.

When I wandered around that area, quite a few people spoke to me in Cantonese.

Last edited:
I went there just in time for their ice cream buffect, what a treat !!

waaaaaaaaaa lucky you. will remember to schedule my next trip during their buffet ;p

last time it was 1 bullet = 1 USD, not too sure about now. Vietnam inflation have been very high

airport sure got map lah. otherwise just hire motorbike taxi as tour guide, sure can bring u lots of places

taxi must be be careful, some installed with turbo meter :eek::bsmilie:
stick to those sedan taxi.

cholOn is not too far away fRom hcm.

for taxis, stick to vinasun n mailinh.

dalat weather is excellent. i think its worth going because theres lots to see.
ie, crazy house, the bao dai palace (iirc), waterfall, etc. food is cheap and good too.

neve got to fire ak before. maybe will try next time im there.. lol

Thanks guys for all your advices!!! Now writing all of them down in a piece of paper...

After some discussion with my friends... we decided not to go mui ne le... as it is quite a long journey and we are in vietnam for a pretty short period of time. Hence, we change to Vung Tau!

So the plans will be like...

1st day - arrive in HCMC... walk around...
2nd day - go to cu chi and cao dai temple... at night go cholon
3rd day - go to Vung Tau... stay one night...
4th day - back to HCMC... walk around those famous places... last minute shopping...
5th day - time to go back...

Anyone here went to Vung Tau before? Now sourcing for a hotel to stay in... any advices? :D

When i was staying @ AnAn2 Hotel, De Tham street, i had to cross 1 street to a bus stop and take the public bus to Chinatown market.
Alternatively, you can hail a taxi, pretty affordable.

Cholon is in District 5, which is Soouth West of District 1. There is a large market (Binh Tay Market) in that district. I bought dried lotus seeds there - they can be eaten as is, like peanuts but taste better - and candied lotus seeds. Naturally, the latter is sweet since it is preserved in sugar. I found this market much less touristy compared to Ben Thanh market.

It is a fair distance from District 1; about 3 km as the bird flies from Ben Thanh market. I took a taxi there.

When I wandered around that area, quite a few people spoke to me in Cantonese.

BTW... what is the average price of the taxi ride from district 1 to Cholon?

Vung tau.. hmm. when i was there I stayed at my friend's place, so im not sure what to recommend you for lodging.
places you have to go would be the Jesus statue, where the view from his arms ( you can go up. ) is quite magnificent. pray for good weather.
when i was there, weather was humid as hell. lol..

to cholon by taxi if i recall was about 70k, though that was from a neighbouring district..
shouldnt cost more than 100k from d1.

PS: do enjoy the coffee while you're there (Vietnam). it's worth the price, and should be the best coffee you may have ever tasted.