Hmmm, Tamron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremykoh89

Mar 22, 2008
Hi all, would just like to ask about Tamron's budget lenses. I've read online that Tamron is the poorer maker of lenses and that most of their budget lenses have problems like producing soft images or somethin like that? Would like to ask for the general feedback of their products.

Hi all, would just like to ask about Tamron's budget lenses. I've read online that Tamron is the poorer maker of lenses and that most of their budget lenses have problems like producing soft images or somethin like that? Would like to ask for the general feedback of their products.

I find them gd. I am not sure of ur definition of budget lenses. I have used quite a number of them (e.g. 17-50 F2.8, 28-75 F2.8, 90 F2.8, etc). So far no problem with images being soft. I have tried Tokina and Sigma also, so far ok, althou not fantastic.

If u are scared, u can always buy Nikon or Canon ones for ur body, if it can justify its costs.

Test the lens b4 u buy, if u like it, then buy it. Don't let other people's comments and opinion run ur world and interests.

Just solely my opinion based on experience. ;)

I find them gd. I am not sure of ur definition of budget lenses. I have used quite a number of them (e.g. 17-50 F2.8, 28-75 F2.8, 90 F2.8, etc). So far no problem with images being soft. I have tried Tokina and Sigma also, so far ok, althou not fantastic.

If u are scared, u can always buy Nikon or Canon ones for ur body, if it can justify its costs.

Test the lens b4 u buy, if u like it, then buy it. Don't let other people's comments and opinion run ur world and interests.

Just solely my opinion based on experience. ;)

Cool, it's actually a 70-300mm somethin like that... mmm.. reviews were quite critical about Tamron so yeah.. haha.

For 70-300, some people will prefer the Sigma. Just curious which DSLR body you are using ?

Generally, I can say that Tamron, Sigma and Tokina are getting better.
They may lose out in AF speed, built and compatibility to the original manufacturer, but their
optical quality is getting better.

Some famous third party lens I heard in this forum all this while and like by many
photographers.
e.g Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Tokina 12-24 f4. etc.

For 70-300, some people will prefer the Sigma. Just curious which DSLR body you are using ?

Generally, I can say that Tamron, Sigma and Tokina are getting better.
They may lose out in AF speed, built and compatibility to the original manufacturer, but their
optical quality is getting better.

Some famous third party lens I heard in this forum all this while and like by many
photographers.
e.g Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Tokina 12-24 f4. etc.

Hmmm using a D60, i know it doesn't have a motor so yeah am looking for a lens that i can use manually actually. haha

Hmmm using a D60, i know it doesn't have a motor so yeah am looking for a lens that i can use manually actually. haha

If you can afford or save up, I would prefer you to buy the Nikon 70-300 VR f4.5-5.6G.
The VR definitely will help for the long focal length.

If you can afford or save up, I would prefer you to buy the Nikon 70-300 VR f4.5-5.6G.
The VR definitely will help for the long focal length.

Hmmm, oh actually i would be shooting below 200mm most of the time. Do you think it's necessary still? Or are there cheaper alternatives which you know of?! heh

Hmmm, oh actually i would be shooting below 200mm most of the time. Do you think it's necessary still? Or are there cheaper alternatives which you know of?! heh

hey buddy, welcome to CS. from ur num of posts, i'd assume tat u just got ur "toy" :bsmilie:
from my pt of view, the 200-300mm range can be quite useful. cos if u r going to zoo to shoot, and u want a "headshot" of our white tiger friend to fill up the frame, then perhaps 300mm will be more useful :)
my best shot using a nikon 75-240 @ 240mm only manage to get this close:
WhiteTiger01.jpg

u can check out http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292045 for the lens price
for AF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, its going for approx $250 and $800 for VR version.
if u r on tight budget, u can get the non-VR version n then use the remaining funds to get a budget tripod like Benro, for eg. cos with tripod, it will take care of the shaking/blurring part when u shoot at 300mm

hope this helps :sweatsm:

Haha i think us newbies wouldn't even detect softness at all.. I bet all the features we can't even tell the difference.

Personally, I would go for the Tamron than the Tokinas. Had a few bad experiences with Tokina. Have you tried the budget Tamron 24-135mm? I find the lens pretty sharp.

i bought a tamron 17-50mm just few weeks ago. i m very happy with the sharpness of the lens.

haha... highly possible, my next lens is still a tammy, 90mm. ;p

Use to own Tamron 90 macro...Sharp sharp image you can get...:thumbsup:

Haha, oh wow so many people responded. Yeah actually I have my Nikkor 18-55mm , but I wanted something with more zoom abilities lah. About sharpness and quality, I'm still quite puzzled.

haha, when I use my 18-55mm I don't know is it me or the kit lens because I always get pictures that isn't sharp or contrasting( usually shooting around 1/60 if not lower =\ ). One friend told me it's because dslrs don't usually sharpen and boost the contrast to allow editing, then another told me I must be able to attain that ability to get contrasting n sharp pictures if not i'm depending on editing and not photography. Haha, kudos to all who're good at photography man... but any idea why pictures not contrasting and soft? I really, really dont want to under-estimate my d60 and it's kit lens =\

do u have any sample photo that u took? post the photos here if u have. :)

Here! Note that some are under building shadows, which reduced shutterspeed pretty drastically =(

Used Matrix metering for all
Anyway anyone knows how to delete my previous account coz my email kena hacked lol?
old woman - I focused the woman's face, but with F5.6, I can't blur the background but nvm that. I find it not sharp enough?
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/jeremykoh89/DSC_0016.jpg

indian tourista - The contrast is fine, but I still find it not sharp enough? I realised that viewing it on the browser compresses it and makes it smaller, but viewing it on the desktop shows it's not tat sharp. I focused on the man in blue.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/jeremykoh89/colourful.jpg

Highrise buildings - I used a large F number, I think F36 or something.. but it's still not very sharp again? I don't know if it's just me or are the edges really not refined? I focused on the totem pole for this
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/jeremykoh89/DSC_0040.jpg

Here! Note that some are under building shadows, which reduced shutterspeed pretty drastically =(

Anyway anyone knows how to delete my previous account coz my email kena hacked lol?
old woman
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/jeremykoh89/DSC_0016.jpg

indian tourista
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/jeremykoh89/colourful.jpg

Highrise buildings
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/jeremykoh89/DSC_0040.jpg

Mmm... could you help supply a bit more info for the above pics...

1. What focusing modes are you using?

2. Where are your focus points for each of your pics?

3. Which part or what about each of ur pic are you not satisfied with?

With regards to 3rd party lenses... do your homework before buying any 3rd party lens. There are some real gems from 3rd party manufacturers. Read reviews of them before you buy.

If you have realized, most of the lenses that are mentioned in this thread keep repeating... which does mean something... those lenses are worth buying :thumbsup:

Personally, I own the following 3rd party lenses...
1. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
2. Tamron 90 f/2.8
3. Tokina 12-24 f/4

I find these 3 lenses give great value for money and great image quality ;)

Mmm... could you help supply a bit more info for the above pics...

1. What focusing modes are you using?

2. Where are your focus points for each of your pics?

3. Which part or what about each of ur pic are you not satisfied with?

done! Hope you could help =\

Status
Not open for further replies.