Not open for further replies.

Alec_GTC

Aug 1, 2005
picture shot during school's aces day

[original photo]
49942323.EIMG_9516.JPG

[increased brightness]
49942323eimg95179xq.jpg

might be printing this for school's magazine. can't decide which to choose... I feel that the first picture has more feeling but only the second pic can see what's going on behind. :confused:

hey i was from PJC also. 2nd batch. :) last batch of blue shirted pioneers. and last last batch in Jurong east.

i think u shd retake the shot. use spot or partial metering. meter someplace in between. i think ur metering on the sun. or too close to the sun so ur exposure is wrong.

hey hi, fellow pj'ian :D were you in the vc as well?

nah, not possible to retake. this was an event shooting hehe, mass dance ya? thanks for the advice, would try again next time with different metering if there's chance. ^^

Alec_GTC said:
hey hi, fellow pj'ian :D were you in the vc as well?

nah, not possible to retake. this was an event shooting hehe, mass dance ya? thanks for the advice, would try again next time with different metering if there's chance. ^^

haha. no i was not from VC. table tennis + debate ;p

yah. ur metering is kinda wrong. try to meter the mid tones. i assume ur using 300D cos PJC uses 300D with no external flash right? :bsmilie:

then set to partial metering, and meter somewhere between the subject and the sun. this case, i think ur at the sun or too close. so everything else is blacked out.

u may want to choose a different angle so that the sun is not directly facing you. why so? simply because if you do get the exposure of the dancers correct, the sun will be wayyy overblown.

btw, thats the same ol J LO dance AGAIN? o_O haha

agreed with earlier comments - shot just too bad to save with any processing.

Hmm, I intended to shoot it as a silhouette, perhaps with just some evidence of the crowd and that's why the angle facing the sun.

I've gotten some shots from different angels tho like this one :rolleyes:
49944747.IMG_9557.JPG

but i just like the silhouette, tho it doesn't clearly depict what was going on then.

btw we do have external flashes... 3 of it but only has one 430EX for our two 300D *sad*

wah...430EX???/ 430 or 420?

this pic is better. but i feel the subjects are a bit too small. maybe u cld have squatted down and taken the photo from a down->up position. then u cld have zoomed closer into the action whilst still keeping part of the school building as a background.

just make sure the girl is not wearing a skirt else you'll be hauled up. haha.

hmm what do others think?

the first pic unfortunately is terrible.

2nd pic has no fatal errors but it doesn't work for me and I wouldn't print it for personal use/portfolio. Unless in 4r size or smaller. It may be ok for editorial work like for the sch's mag.

Try to remove the warm cast as well unless you like it. It's usual for evening shots such as this but i think in this case it doesn't quite add to the photo.

Well ultimately, with all that being said, if you really insist on printing something, pick the one you like best, else you won't be satisfied.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
wah...430EX???/ 430 or 420?

this pic is better. but i feel the subjects are a bit too small. maybe u cld have squatted down and taken the photo from a down->up position. then u cld have zoomed closer into the action whilst still keeping part of the school building as a background.

just make sure the girl is not wearing a skirt else you'll be hauled up. haha.

hmm what do others think?

hmmm, if i didn't remember wrongly it should be 420EX. Don't really know... since i'm only few months into photography and rarely has the chance to use the flash. *weird* seems like my taste for photos is so different from people, hehe. :confused:

ya btw, i've already squatted down lol. any closer/lower would be akward and it's like everyone looking at me since it's the upfront :-\. guess i need more practises to get comfortable.

Alec_GTC said:
hmmm, if i didn't remember wrongly it should be 420EX. Don't really know... since i'm only few months into photography and rarely has the chance to use the flash. *weird* seems like my taste for photos is so different from people, hehe. :confused:

u dont have to conform to the mainstream school of thought. find ur own style. :) most importantly, u must like ur photos. think about it, most of ur holiday photos are only gonna be stuck in ur album and shown to a few friends or family. as long as they like it and u like it, whos complaining?

well if ur planning to turn professional(im not :p) then its a different story la :D

ahah, right on.

turning professional? no way man, just look at the number of professionals here... *shivers* :p

Alec_GTC said:
might be printing this for school's magazine. can't decide which to choose...

Small brightness/contrast adjustments may be a moot point. Chances are that the colour gamut and contrast range of the printing process for your school's newspaper will dictate that changes are made anyway when the picture goes to press. It would be worthwhile checking with the printer what kind of pictures are best suited (in particular since your photo has a lot of contrast).

Status
Not open for further replies.