HK vs DD

roamfree

Dec 14, 2010
I was planning on getting a Canon 70-200 F4L IS USM from Hongkong. Then I found out that HK no longer issue International Warranty, but only HK warranty. Meaning, if I do need to send my lens for repair, Canon Singapore will not honour it. In that case, it means that it is pretty much similar to me getting a lens from DD electronics, right? A check online of prices from both Hongkong and DD Electronics shows that prices are about the same, which is pretty much as much as $400 SGD in savings, compared to the other shops in Singapore, which offers proper local warranty. Getting a lens from DD (gray set) = getting a lens from HK (gray set in Canon Singapore's eyes)??? advice very much appreciated from a newbie. :)

For Canon or Nikon products, I will consider getting from DD.
Hong Kong warranty = As good as no warranty to me becos I cannot afford to fly back for my warranty claim.

As for Sigma or Tokina, I properly will get it from Hong Kong.
Sigma Singapore agent will honors 1 year warranty if you purchase Hong Kong local agent lens.
Tokina Singapore agent will honors 2 years international warranty if you purchase Hong Kong local agent lens.

Just my 2 cents.

Just to add on, Nikon lenses comes with international warranty, so as long as you have the receipt, Nikon Singapore will honor the warranty. This was confirmed by a buyer who purchased a Nikon lens from eBay which is from HK.

I was planning on getting a Canon 70-200 F4L IS USM from Hongkong. Then I found out that HK no longer issue International Warranty, but only HK warranty. Meaning, if I do need to send my lens for repair, Canon Singapore will not honour it. In that case, it means that it is pretty much similar to me getting a lens from DD electronics, right? A check online of prices from both Hongkong and DD Electronics shows that prices are about the same, which is pretty much as much as $400 SGD in savings, compared to the other shops in Singapore, which offers proper local warranty. Getting a lens from DD (gray set) = getting a lens from HK (gray set in Canon Singapore's eyes)??? advice very much appreciated from a newbie. :)

Just to add on, Nikon lenses comes with international warranty, so as long as you have the receipt, Nikon Singapore will honor the warranty. This was confirmed by a buyer who purchased a Nikon lens from eBay which is from HK.
As spree has said, HK local set Nikon lenses still carry international warranty. Only Canon HK changed their warranty coverage to 'local only' since October last year.

If TS want to save money, then TS should also consider HK gray sets. Using TS' example, 70-200mm f4 IS HK gray set is about S$100 lower than the HK local set. But if warranty is your top concern, then DD might be a better choice since DD has shop warranty. However, do note that shop warranty is not the same as Canon warranty. I have heard about shops refusing to honor their shop warranty and delays in getting the lens repair. I have no experience with DD shop warranty claim so I cannot comment on this specific shop.

Thank you everybody for your kind input. It really helps. :)