HK/Macau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
Will be going to HK and Macau next week and there are no time-table at all.....the plan is,we want go where,everyone's fine then we go.So since it's like that,is there a place where i can take some good pictures while the rest of the family can enjoy.Be it sight-seeing,shopping.What my parents want is not to go places that we've to like The Peak,Ocean Park,Disneyland.Looking to go to St Paul ,Fisherman Wharf,A bridge(forgot whats the name but it looks like golden gates bridge)
Oh yea.Any good foods?

Last edited:
There is a tourist info counter at the HK airport, just after the custom. Look for a small booklet, about 30 pgs, covers major attraction in HK, and the way to go there.

If you want to on budget, airport bus is actually cheaper then the train to go to city.

1. Take the star ferry, it is a good experience. from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central or either way round.

2. The bridge is call Tsing Ma (青马大桥)。

3. Lantau Island buddha. You can take the MTR to Tung Chung, choose either the cable car or bus. For bus, you can buy a Lantau day ticket, which is more worth it, you can take unlimited day trip on any bus on the island.

I had one of the best beef noodle in HK last week :)

Kau Kee Restaurant
21 Gough Road
opening hours : 12.30pm - 7.15pm, 8.30pm - 11.30pm. Closed on Sunday and PH.

If you go after 3 or 4 pm, you can try the special beef brisket stewed with chinese herbs and beef bones. It cost almost 2x more than the normal beef brisket they're selling..

One of the best beef noodle I ever tried.. Beef so tender you don't have to chew... And the broth is :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (i am getting hungry!!)

Note that the crowd never seems to thin.. I went just 10mins after they open, and they're already 90% full house.

3. Lantau Island buddha. You can take the MTR to Tung Chung, choose either the cable car or bus. For bus, you can buy a Lantau day ticket, which is more worth it, you can take unlimited day trip on any bus on the island.

Fyi, the cable car is currently closed for maintenance until end Sept.
It is very foggy in HK now, you don't see blue sky at the peak even though its not raining ....

It is very foggy in HK now, you don't see blue sky at the peak even though its not raining ....

Really? Last week was hotter than SG.. Almost No cloud at all, view from the peak was beautiful :)

Really? Last week was hotter than SG.. Almost No cloud at all, view from the peak was beautiful :)

It was very hot today but still cloudy, although the view is still beautiful :)
You were there last week? Did you attempt to walk the 2.8km or not? lol...

Last edited:
HK weather is crazy these few weeks. so if you want to go around taking pictures, I STRONGLY ADVISE you to wear as little as you can. You see, everytime i go out in jeans right, once i exit the MTR and there is no aircon...the boxers and jeans start to get really uncomfortable and its not because of the girls hor..its just SOOOOOOOOOOOO humid and warm. I think its actually worse than SG..

so really light clothings, wet tissues to wipe the grim, perspiration away. :)

HK weather is crazy these few weeks. so if you want to go around taking pictures, I STRONGLY ADVISE you to wear as little as you can. You see, everytime i go out in jeans right, once i exit the MTR and there is no aircon...the boxers and jeans start to get really uncomfortable and its not because of the girls hor..its just SOOOOOOOOOOOO humid and warm. I think its actually worse than SG..

so really light clothings, wet tissues to wipe the grim, perspiration away. :)

Omg so hot ??? Cham la sg now so cooling then go hk so hot . Is it as hot as sg in June/july ??

well i have been here since April, and the weather has turned really drastically..it was rainy for a while then when it turned summer, it really turned SUMMER.

its really that kind of scenario where you walk out of a building and you get hit by a wall of heat. the mornings are fine til maybe 12-1pm, then it starts to get really hot. The humidity builds and even til 6-ish you can feel the heat. thereafter it cools slightly but to give you an idea of how irritating it is take this analogy:

been here 4 months and have taken cabs only twice. And they were on the last saturday and sunday nights. yeah, we have all served the nation, but walking around in no 4 and civi is totally different.

but i heard that the weather might cool slightly coz its heading to the end of the year. and if you are fortunate enough to get cloudy days then it'll do your body/skin good but then not so good for taking pics eh? too dark..heh..

It was very hot today but still cloudy, although the view is still beautiful :)
You were there last week? Did you attempt to walk the 2.8km or not? lol...

Haha what is the 2.8km?

Anyways the wall of heat is really no joke. It's really that hot and humid. Haven't experience that kind of weather in the longest time.. Therefore wear as light as possible.

I was in HK 2 weeks back, and I almost died of heat exhaustion when hiking the Dragon's Back.
I think when its cooler, its a pretty good hike - something different from the usual urban HK :

http://blog.roving-light.com/2009/08/crossing-dragons-back.html
IMG_4735w.jpg

in macau, walk down the stairs from the top of the ruins of the st.paul's church and to the right,

is a shop selling egg tarts. Can't rmb the name but definitely worth the try.

in HK,

around causeway bay, (accessible from lockhart road)

is a cha chan ting called cui wah restaurant.

try their pan-friend prawn ball noodles, and their hong dou bing (crushed red bean drink).

if you're in any major shopping centre, just go to de coral cafe, cheap and good.

things to try include their french toast, ham and egg sandwich, and their rose oil chicken rice.

look out for their promotional drinks that change from time to time.

go to the stanley market for good street shots,

or also along causeway bay on weekends where you can soak up the atmosphere.

it's gonna be extra crowded around sogo area (lockhart road) but it makes good street shots.

Haha what is the 2.8km?

The peak circle walk... i only saw the signboard indicating its 2.8km after walking albout 2/3 of the whole track :angry:

I tried a couple egg tarts, nothing can beat the one at Tai Cheong Bakery, 35 Lyndhurst Terrace, near Central :D

it's working 2 weeks ago when i was there.:)

in macau, walk down the stairs from the top of the ruins of the st.paul's church and to the right,

is a shop selling egg tarts. Can't rmb the name but definitely worth the try.

I ate a dozen of egg tarts by myself when i was in macau two years back, call me crazy but those portuguese egg tarts really tasted good :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.