HK Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmax

Nov 22, 2003
I will be going to HK Disneyland with my family over the New Year weekend.

I am still wondering whether if it is worthwhile to bring my Manfrotto 190 (fitted with 488RC0) to take pics of the fireworks. Problem is that I got to hold onto it for the whole day. I am only medium size built and the weight will probably kill me. Do they have lockers that can fit a Manfrotto 190? Or is a monopod good enough?

I am using a D100 with 18-70 DX. No VR capability.

Thanks.

Madmax said:

I am still wondering whether if it is worthwhile to bring my Manfrotto 190 (fitted with 488RC0) to take pics of the fireworks. Problem is that I got to hold onto it for the whole day. I am only medium size built and the weight will probably kill me. Do they have lockers that can fit a Manfrotto 190? Or is a monopod good enough?

Thanks.

Do not recall if they have lockers.

To take fireworks, u need the tripod and rush to a good spot early.

Madmax said:

Thanks.

hehe..well to start off. Vr or no VR would not die. We have all gotten great photo without the invention of VR long before. We have all gotten along with shooting at higher speed, hand held and in crucial times...placing the camera on a tripod :)

You are there to enjoy your time with your family. I take it the kids are in tow too so they will be going crazy and impatient to get from one fun place to another. Look at your overall activities at Disney. Are you there from day time to night? How long is your stay at the park. How much of stuff are you going to be riding or visiting?

Now, while you are in Singapore, how long do you spend composing your pictures when you are out with your family..etc. Taking good and well composed shots will take time. Will your excited family be willing to slow down the pace just so you can take well exposed and composed shot heh. It is a vacation. Enjoy yourself and not take your photography too seriously. Be more candid with your shots is the way to go if I was in your shoes.

Your D100 is more then up to the task of handling most challenging shots. And since it is during the New Year Holidays, most spots at the park would be jam packed with people. You would not be the only one taking photos at all the great spots. And people walking blindly here and there and into your tripod too. You will be pressured for time for sure. Taking your time to locate and set up your camera with a tripod like a 190 Manfrotto would be challenging apart from just the issue of the heavy weight you are lugging around. My advice is to buy or borrow a light weight tripod. It is more then good enough for your use plus it is light enough that maybe members of your family can take turn to carry it. It might be light enough to keep your camera on full time while you hold the tripod or camera as you walk.

I would think a flash is more important to me for those dim lit interiors you would be entering. A locker is of little use if the park is huge. You can't just be walking to the locker each time you need to use the tripod and then go back to it. You just can't be sure when you will come across a scene that might need the use of one. Best to get a light and basic tripod that can at least have the camera at about 4-5 feet tall. Drab or dangle a weighted bag on the tripod to make it abit more stable for those shots you need more stability. Choose carefully the grounds you want to use the tripod on to further reduce vibration and you should be able to get some pretty shots for sure....VR or no VR. :) Just my 2 bits....

or ya...it would help if you have a remote shutter release too. heh

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

You are right, I am bringing my family along to HK.

I was intending to bring my 190 for the night shots when I go up Victoria Peak. I was at Disneyland Tokyo last year, and there were lockers located near the entrance. If there are any at HK Disneyland, I will probably dump it in the locker and get it when the time is near to take the fireworks. Well, I will probably drop the idea. Fireworks opportunities are just hard to come by :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.