HK cabby demands $900 for return of laptop left in cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite interesting :bigeyes:

One night, I accidently dropped my pathetic Nokia 6610i in a cab in Shanghai. When my friend contacted the taxi company, the driver had already called the Lost n Found section to report that he had found a mobile phone in his cab. Based on where we were, he drove to one of their offices nearby and handed over the phone to me in front of one of their officers, after some paperwork. I wanted to give him a tip (100 RMB - that's 20 bucks only), he refused. I asked him if he would drop me at my service apartment across town, which he did. I tried to pay him a little bit on top of the taxi fare. He politely refused. Will I ever forget him ? Not in this life !!! He definitely earned some good karma that night. :thumbsup:

One night, I accidently dropped my pathetic Nokia 6610i in a cab in Shanghai. When my friend contacted the taxi company, the driver had already called the Lost n Found section to report that he had found a mobile phone in his cab. Based on where we were, he drove to one of their offices nearby and handed over the phone to me in front of one of their officers, after some paperwork. I wanted to give him a tip (100 RMB - that's 20 bucks only), he refused. I asked him if he would drop me at my service apartment across town, which he did. I tried to pay him a little bit on top of the taxi fare. He politely refused. Will I ever forget him ? Not in this life !!! He definitely earned some good karma that night. :thumbsup:

wah.. u are one lucky guy, this driver is good.

Now this is FIRST CLASS :D

Anyway, I believe recovering lost items is a mix of luck and the integrity of the finder. By and large, most Chinese Nationals in large cities like Shanghai are very law abiding and honest. It is the black sheeps that keeps getting hilighted in the media that give everyone a bad name.

Well the world is made up of different types of people. I would like to think that most are trying to be good, but I will not be naive to believe all to be so.

There was a report that Singaporeans are generally honest, and tend towards returning lost items. I teach the same value to my children. Once my son picked up a rather high end cell phone on the way home from school. Together, we called the owner, who came around, took the phone with an abrupt "thanks hor", and left without looking back. Which left us feeling a little silly..

But I am still happy that he did the "right thing"

1 word 'Heng'.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.