History of 'Nikon User Group'

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykestang

Jan 18, 2003
studiospace
sykestang.clubsnap.org
THIS IS NOT A NIKON vs CANON WARE THREAD! NEITHER IS IT A BRAND BASHING THREAD. IF YOU ARE EXPECTING SOMETHING ELSE, PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been quite disturbed over the past 2 threads posted in Canon Subforum:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=83795&highlight=Canon+Council
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=101588&highlight=Canon+Council

Hereby I would like to clarify some points as I do not wish to see malign facts given by some ignorant canon users and a ex. NC member.

Nikon council started out as a small group consists of myself, AJ23, watcher and Nostalgia. Personally I have to thank Astin on this as it is because his model shooting arrangements to allow us to know each other, and we happen to gather at Peninsula Hotel Spinelli Cafe after one of the shoot. As we share the same passion for the love of the ambience, we acknowledge that Spinelli Cafe is out meet up place.

The group was later grew bigger when I started to invite GAdrian, Ansel, Jamesong, and a few others when I buy over some of their lenses, camera, etc. for my own upgrade. Also I started to conduct some MOs in sourcing D70 remotes at $9 for all CSers. Those who have purchased from me will remember. We encouraged some D70 newbies when they collect the MO stuffs from me at Spinelli to join us when they have doubts over the usage of their camera.

It is GAdrian that later named this gathering as 'Nikon Council', of which most of the ppl in the group did not disagree as we are all Nikon users.

On few occasions, some Canon users like Agape and Garion, etc. was invited to join us. It is for the fun that we commented on Canon equipment's fault. This is because we treat them as personal friends. However if they feel offended, please surface the problem when we meet face to face and not hide the feeling down and start shooting malign facts to the public online.

Equipment wanking is never part of the NC meetup agenda. Most of the time, it is an individual NC member who claims that he had 11yrs experience of using Nikon equipment and owns most of the exotic lenses who started equipment talk during the meetup. Moreover he is also the one who wanks that owning the trinities is a must for being a NC member. Read this thread and you should able to find out who ->http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=80333&page=4&pp=20
Note that he deleted his own post on his exotic list on 29/6/2004 when he was being challenged by the 2 moderators on the fact whether there is a 12mm f/2.5 lens later in the thread when he claims that he does own one.

I am the one who often MO 'rare' Nikon accessories, as well as some other Photographic accessories for CSers. I believe I need not explain more. I agree I do markup a little in the prices for the effort. And at times to cover on the shipping for these rare accessories as in most situation, they are hard find in Singapore and have to be shipped from elsewhere. However if anyone who finds my price on the higher side, do not order/buy from me as I did not force on anybody.

Lastly, myself and some of the other regulars NC members share the following sentiment: If you do not come with an open mind, or if you thinks too highly of yourself during the meetup, please do not join us. Personally I do not wish to see topics that was discussed unofficially during the meetup be brought as a public affair in an open forum. Nikon Council is not a registered association neither is it an official Nikon Photographers Gathering. The fact that why we gathers is because we love the ambience of Peninsula Hotel Spinelli Cafe, and is a place where we can relieve work stress by meeting ppl who can share the same interest and passion on Photography, it so happens that all of us uses Nikon equipment. That is the main reason why we meet almost everyday. In fact this is the same reasons why some ppl after a hard day at the office will join with others/strangers for a drink at the pubs.

We welcome any ppl who have an open mind and do not think too highly of yourself to join us, need not only be Nikon Users. Note we may not discuss on photography matters only during the meetups but anything under the sun. If you would like to join us but not sure when we would be there, you can always PM me in advance.

:)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well said, Sykestang.
Kudos for you to express and clarify this matter well in clear cut and details.

To make it short, same standing for Sony Council too, we are make up of Sony, Nikon, Sigma, Canon and Minolta users, ditigal and film users.
Though we comment and joke around, it is for the fun, not directly comment or confrontation as we treat each other as good friends. :cheers:

pick and choose what you need, stay if you like, go if you had enough.
i remember i was at a loss when i first bought my D70. i was a newbie to the world of DSLR and had no idea how to check if my set had any backfocussing problems etc. i heard alot about Nikon capture and the downloading of curves but i had no clue where i could get the software (very expensive) and how to download the curves, etc. I felt helpless even after reading the manual and websites. I brought my D70 and 101 concerns to the Nikon council one evening and i had easily 3 guys who were very eager to help me with my questions. ESPN was very kind to bring his laptop specially to help me with custom made curves and load them into my camera - i am appreciative of his generous spirit of giving. The guys spent more than 1 hr helping me with my new kit - checking to make sure that it was in perfect condition and painstakingly explaining to me about custom curves etc. Everything was done out of goodwill, with no costs involved or strings attached.

And to me, that is the spirit of Nikon council, and how i would like to remember it.

Thank you so much :thumbsup:

Take it easy pal :) I think NC is a cool concept :thumbsup: and it will always help newbies, be it Nikon or Kwanon. It really takes dedication and time for the council to keep it going.

We can't keep pple who are seeing red from pouring the cold bucket over us. :rolleyes: Thus the best way is to ignore them and don't let a few comments from the insignificants sway u from ur course. :)

hey y'all,

read the threads in the canon forums, all i gotta say is ... dude do these guys sound jealous or WHAT?! :bsmilie:

and hey... before you go on and write me a thesis about how these nikon council guys are money cheaters and brand promoters and all....

sykestang taught me tons of s*** bout the D70 over the phone without me even meeting him. these were 1-2 hour long conversations with a complete stranger... and all i wanted was to clarify somethings bout the D70 before I finally buy it.... dude if this aint being helpful, i don't know what it is.

and dont tell me he's being a show-off cos until i read this thread, i didn't know what equipment he had.

seriously... this whole canon council thing is a load of crap. its like waking up one morning to find your neighbour's cat been shitting all over your front porch.

anways, like they say... 'UPPZZZ for these nikon council fellas'

rock on you guys. :devil:

hi folks,

i am a newbie to the photography and also to clubsnap on the whole. I know not anyone till a fateful sunday or a weekday... ( i think... a pouring afternoon, simply it is a weekday !!) ...

I had always wanted to get my hands on those cool looking DSLRs .. be it Nikon or Canon, thus i decided to check out one of the shops at Lucky Plaza. I dropped in and starting asking for the price of the Nikon D70. So the story was the usual asking of prices and discounts and ...

Next... A group of four individuals was there and decided to show me around the Nikon D70 in that particular shop. One of them showed me about the close macro with teh manual focus ... something beyond me ... another was telling me that it's a good camera for the newbie to start with... blah blah blah ... U must be thinking that i would have gotten the camera by the way they "shown" me the cam, and how can i not buy when the awesome ethusiam showned by these four very helpful gentlemen, rite? wrong! i didnt buy cos i was still waiting for a lower price ... inaddition, they didnt look a bit disappointed or anything .. they had tat intention to help out a newbie ... and tat's all !!!

Later in the evening, i learned that Uncle tang was one of them ... boy !! i admired their ways of helping out the newbies... thanks God for them !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Its actually very simple. A forum is all about interacting, so meeting up is very normal. Very well said, sykestang :thumbsup:

But there are some people that are 'Internet warriors' who are more comfortable talking and fighting their wars behind keyboards and monitors. :)

Not sure what they were all talking about but I sometimes join them for a cup of coffee looking at super sharp and super wide panaroma not taken with a Nikon !!. On top of that I also sometimes bring a Sony in my bag !!!. :blah:

well, just to add my 2 rupees...

i'm one of those canon users who met up with the NC people far more often than canon users. yeah... so shoot me. ;) my joke is always dat i mixed up and shoot far more with nikon users than canon users in my short time in CS.

frankly speaking, the NC people are nothing like wat those people whom are mentioned in the canon sub-forum link said to be. i know people like tang, aj23, scanner, espn and some other whom i've forgotten. they are quite nice people who actually spent time hitting me on the head to get my techniques right ... and dats despite me being a canon user. oh, btw, some of the NC people knows more abt the ins-and-outs of canon equipment than most canon users in CS. ;p

everyone's entitled to their opinions here. but, of late, i'm quite disturbed to see some CSers trashing other CSers based on equipment (nikon vs canon, leica vs the rest of the non-leica users), or (even funnier, IMO) over certain practices like gaffering ur cam. i dunno how to put this nicely, but... get a life? as afbug pointed out, some CSers are internet warriors, hiding behind the screens. well, get to know some of the people here, and u'll see their real person. ;)

Seems like war is going on between the Nippon Kogaku & Kwannon users! :thumbsd:
How about forming a Leica Council? Welcome to the "RICH SIDE"? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

just get a life ... and with photography in it ... and not doing the opposite to "killing photography" on the whole ....
:blah:

hmm... The Dark side MUST stand together.. i sense a disturbance in the force...

The Light is coming.....

: What is our next move your master ? Your Sith Knight awaits your instructions...........

=p kidding... NC will stay and will always stand by one another.. because when theres Light.. theres the Dark side...

are the Siths.... =p

:bsmilie:

: Calls the Trade Federation and Confederacy :

: we need all the troopers, starships, battle droids, mech destroyers, strike mechs, mounted troopers and all starships on stand-by :

: Clone troopers detected, Mobilising forces, charging shields. Calling Lord tyrannus..:

Lord Tyrannus: hello ? i m in te toilet !! call back later !! remember my pizza !! without pepperoni and lots of cheeze !!

Sith Knight: =.- !!!

XXX Boy said:
Seems like war is going on between the Nippon Kogaku & Kwannon users! :thumbsd:
How about forming a Leica Council? Welcome to the "RICH SIDE"? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

There's a war going on? Really? All I see are perhaps some thinned skin people on both sides who can't take criticisms (valid and otherwise) regarding their brand of choice. Is there a need to bash other brands when all that truly matters is the end result?

But if some people are happy comparing the size of their, um, lens, than so be it.... I'm fully self assured in my own size, um I mean choice. ;p

justarius said:
There's a war going on? Really? All I see are perhaps some thinned skin people on both sides who can't take criticisms (valid and otherwise) regarding their brand of choice. Is there a need to bash other brands when all that truly matters is the end result?

But if some people are happy comparing the size of their, um, lens, than so be it.... I'm fully self assured in my own size, um I mean choice. ;p

I find this kind of equipment/brand bashing is damn childish. Like small kids like that! All here (I suppose) to be more than mature (adult) to think and the sad thing is that they still behave like small kids! :thumbsd:
They should able to think more maturely but still behave like that, really pity them!

XXX Boy said:
I find this kind of equipment/brand bashing is damn childish. Like small kids like that! All here (I suppose) to be more than mature (adult) to think and the sad thing is that they still behave like small kids! :thumbsd:
They should able to think more maturely but still behave like that, really pity them!

Yup, doesn't matter what brand of equipment you use, most important is to be able to take the pictures you like ! :thumbsup:

i guess. we should all stand together as Photographers... nt by brands or number of lenses u own...

tats what ClubSNAP is all about... in the end... we gain nothing if these carries on, and the mods and admins get :bheart: , all their hard work in maintaining these sites.. all go into the drain...

lets be together as one.... remember we are as ONE ClubSNAP...

a few more months to CS's birthday again... hahaha...

Status
Not open for further replies.