Hire a Bike, Tuk tuk or Car at Siam Reap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChris

Aug 6, 2008
Hi all,

We are 2 girls going to siam reap for a 4 days trip.

which transportation should we hire? internet charges as below :

Motorbike - 07 USD
Tuk Tuk - 12 USD
Car - 25 USD

Heard tat the bike and tuk tuk actually can take 4 ppl and it's alot cheaper than car. :sweat:

any suggestion / advise from u guys?

yap tuk tuk will be best choice,
it will give u more opportunity to take some photos when traveling as well

yap tuk tuk will be best choice,
it will give u more opportunity to take some photos when traveling as well

is the speed ok? hope wont spend too much time traveling from one place to another

ps/ malaysian does not need a visa right, pls correct if i were wrong

Citizens of ASEAN countries are exempted from VISA requirements when visiting fellow ASEAN countries.

:Later,

Citizens of ASEAN countries are exempted from VISA requirements when visiting fellow ASEAN countries.

noted, thank you :)

so tuk tuk is good enough to travel throughout siam reap as it's not a big city right?

I won't suggest using the Tuk Tuk or bike when u r in Siem reap. I have seen enough accidents happening along the way as the roads there are full of potholes. Coupled with you carrying backpack or camera bags, it is really not worth riskking your life & yr valuable camera gears when u r riding as pillion riders on the back of the bikers. Riding behind the bike does not take away the burden on your shoulder as you have to "carry" yr bags thrpughout the journeys on the road.

I have seen japanese tourists gals fall off the back of the bikes and got dragged along the road for more than 50 metres and bleeding profusely.....I am sure you dun wanna risk yourself for such situations, right?

You are better off paying for the car who can still store all yr personal belongings in the car boot. You can pack water in the car as well as this season is really really hot!
If u need contacts for the taxi drivers or guides, gimme a PM with your contact, I'll be most glad to share with you my cintacts over there.

Hi all,

We are 2 girls going to siam reap for a 4 days trip.

which transportation should we hire? internet charges as below :

Motorbike - 07 USD
Tuk Tuk - 12 USD
Car - 25 USD

Heard tat the bike and tuk tuk actually can take 4 ppl and it's alot cheaper than car. :sweat:

any suggestion / advise from u guys?

tuk tuks are fine if you are just visiting the temples in the angkor wat area..quite novel experience to get wind and dust in your face.. :bsmilie:

if you are going further out....eg the outlying temples.. better to get a car.. :)

I won't suggest using the Tuk Tuk or bike when u r in Siem reap. I have seen enough accidents happening along the way as the roads there are full of potholes. Coupled with you carrying backpack or camera bags, it is really not worth riskking your life & yr valuable camera gears when u r riding as pillion riders on the back of the bikers. Riding behind the bike does not take away the burden on your shoulder as you have to "carry" yr bags thrpughout the journeys on the road.

I have seen japanese tourists gals fall off the back of the bikes and got dragged along the road for more than 50 metres and bleeding profusely.....I am sure you dun wanna risk yourself for such situations, right?

You are better off paying for the car who can still store all yr personal belongings in the car boot. You can pack water in the car as well as this season is really really hot!
If u need contacts for the taxi drivers or guides, gimme a PM with your contact, I'll be most glad to share with you my cintacts over there.

thanks aveda, it's really a good advise.

the last thing i would want is to get scary scar on my FACE :sweat::sweat::sweat:

if you want extra safe tell the driver you will tip more if they drive safely. put a serious face. and do what you promise them. then they will understand.

I'll second Avida's advise. Tuk Tuk looks cool but if you're out the whole day, hopping from one temple to another, I'm sure you'll appreciate that blast of cold air that an airconditioned car provides. :)

Tuk-Tuk
- Cheap
- Easy to do shooting on the go
- Not advisable especially on long trips (i.e. Banteay Srei and Tonle Sap)

Car
- Pricier
- Safer
- Aircon!!!
- Can leave your items behind (but make sure the driver is trust worthy)

You can take a look at the photos I took in the last 10 years in Siem Reap. I am there every year for the Angkor Photo festival and personal works for travel magazines....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyyap/sets/72157594318178115/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyyap/sets/72157594321635716/

I would recommend staying at one of the guest house I always stay when i am there.
You can see the info about the guesthouse at:

www.peaceofangkor.com

The guesthouse owner, Dave Perkes, is a great photographer himself. hepersonally trained all his staff, drivers and tour guides to be able to bring photographers around for phototrips. All his staff etc knows where to bring you for what type of photos at what time of the day and without making you a poor man at the end of the trip.
Give Dave an email or call before you go & he can sort out all yr stuff for u, pick up from airport, land travel arrangement, accommodations, tour guides, Archeological Park entry pass, food, drinks, itinerary etc.
Ask for his best tour guide by the name of Taa (Elit Chor). This guys knows hellavu the Angkor area & a lot of the newly uncovered temples complexes that are yet opened to the tourists.

Just a simple advice, dun ever get a taxi from the airport. You will be charged sky high price as the Transport Council there is the biggest mafia who will cream off u. Arrange it through the guest house. The same driver will be the one that ferry you from the day you arrive at the airport til the day u leave at the airport.

Hope that helps.

By my experience, Tuk Tuk may not be really much cheaper than Taxi as some Tuk Tuk drivers charge more from turist as they think Tuk Tuk is a must for tourist to experience. No need to repeat very good comments given above. I never found Tuk Tuk really comfortable either, scary it is for sure.

is the speed ok? hope wont spend too much time traveling from one place to another

ps/ malaysian does not need a visa right, pls correct if i were wrong

not required for stays up to 30 days...

20090601-x2mifc6jn93tguy32fkenpxbs5.jpg

if you're planning to rent transportation for the day, get a car/van with driver to move around... best to leave the tuk tuk experience for shorter trips...

You can take a look at the photos I took in the last 10 years in Siem Reap. I am there every year for the Angkor Photo festival and personal works for travel magazines....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyyap/sets/72157594318178115/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyyap/sets/72157594321635716/

I would recommend staying at one of the guest house I always stay when i am there.
You can see the info about the guesthouse at:

www.peaceofangkor.com

The guesthouse owner, Dave Perkes, is a great photographer himself. hepersonally trained all his staff, drivers and tour guides to be able to bring photographers around for phototrips. All his staff etc knows where to bring you for what type of photos at what time of the day and without making you a poor man at the end of the trip.
Give Dave an email or call before you go & he can sort out all yr stuff for u, pick up from airport, land travel arrangement, accommodations, tour guides, Archeological Park entry pass, food, drinks, itinerary etc.
Ask for his best tour guide by the name of Taa (Elit Chor). This guys knows hellavu the Angkor area & a lot of the newly uncovered temples complexes that are yet opened to the tourists.

Just a simple advice, dun ever get a taxi from the airport. You will be charged sky high price as the Transport Council there is the biggest mafia who will cream off u. Arrange it through the guest house. The same driver will be the one that ferry you from the day you arrive at the airport til the day u leave at the airport.

Hope that helps.

wow, great photos...

thanks for the info, will try to contact them :)

Tuk tuk is gd. Speed is just right. Siem Reap is not big so everywhere is near.

Tuk tuk is my fav.Bout a dollar for a 5min ride.You can go practically anywhere in Siem Reap on a Tuk tuk.Remember to bargain!

I had a wonderful trip to Seam Reap last month. Stayed at Grand Hotel & hired a Camry with driver plus a guide introduced by the hotel. The car comes with unlimited supply of chilled bottled water; great for the hot weather.

The guide was a photographer in the army. He brought us to good spots in every site for better angle & view etc., & even took photo for us.

His name is Phorn & his email is asiantictravel@gmail.com

Someone mentioned about falling off a tuk-tuk. I think that is rather extreme, unless your tuk-tuk gets hit by another vehicle and it collapses. The tuk-tuk isn't like riding a bike. In fact, it's like sitting in a trishaw, except you've got a guy riding a bike - and not a bicycle - in front you to pull the cart along. I would recommend the tuk-tuk as it's a pretty fun and inexpensive way to explore Siem Reap. The only unpleasant factor might be the road dust that blow onto your face, but come on, you are travelling, some visceral experiences like dust on your face adds to the whole travel experience. Taking a cab, cocooned away from the environment, just kills the joy of exploring rustic Siem Reap. Plus, the cabs are expensive.

I'd suggest you go for the licensed tuk-tuks, whose drivers wear a vest with a number on it. Arrange one with your hotel's reception. They are much less likely to rip you off, and less prone to tricks and hanky panky ideas, which is important since you are all an all girl travel party.

Status
Not open for further replies.