HiHi newbie here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny911

Sep 30, 2006
i looking for a camera.....my buget is about 900 dollarz.....it doesn't need to be a DSLR....hehe:cool: :cool:

i'm now currently looking at the canon powershot S3IS....coz it comes with 12x zoom and 0cm mirco.....plus it looks cool...hehe

is the camera good....or is there a better one at the price ranger.....

and if i buy the Canon S3IS .....how much will it cost for the wide angle lens and the hoods...???

and if i plan to take sunset pictures wat sort of filtier do i need to buy...???

thnaks for reading my post....
hope some kind people can share some info with me ....thanks:lovegrin: :lovegrin:

i looking for a camera.....my buget is about 900 dollarz.....it doesn't need to be a DSLR....hehe:cool: :cool:

i'm now currently looking at the canon powershot S3IS....coz it comes with 12x zoom and 0cm mirco.....plus it looks cool...hehe

is the camera good....or is there a better one at the price ranger.....

and if i buy the Canon S3IS .....how much will it cost for the wide angle lens and the hoods...???

and if i plan to take sunset pictures wat sort of filtier do i need to buy...???

thnaks for reading my post....
hope some kind people can share some info with me ....thanks:lovegrin: :lovegrin:

Hallo! I'm using the Panasonic Lumix FZ-5, and when I was looking around for cameras, the Canon Powershot S2 IS was in the market... I wanted to buy that one... But sadly it was over my budget. :cry:

So I got my FZ-5 instead. Right now, S3 IS would be vs Lumix FZ-7... I think the S3 still wins. Hahaha.

I'm not sure if the S3 allows for attachment lenses, but isn't the basic lens already from Wide Angle to Telephoto lens? And for my Lumix FZ-5, I got my Lens Hood in the package, so I would assume that the S3 also comes with a Lens Hood? You could google around to see what comes in a standard S3 package...

I took some sunset pictures without any filters. It's up in this forum somewhere.

But never say the sunset pictures are uber good lah... :p

Hallo! I'm using the Panasonic Lumix FZ-5, and when I was looking around for cameras, the Canon Powershot S2 IS was in the market... I wanted to buy that one... But sadly it was over my budget. :cry:

So I got my FZ-5 instead. Right now, S3 IS would be vs Lumix FZ-7... I think the S3 still wins. Hahaha.

I'm not sure if the S3 allows for attachment lenses, but isn't the basic lens already from Wide Angle to Telephoto lens? And for my Lumix FZ-5, I got my Lens Hood in the package, so I would assume that the S3 also comes with a Lens Hood? You could google around to see what comes in a standard S3 package...

I took some sunset pictures without any filters. It's up in this forum somewhere.

But never say the sunset pictures are uber good lah... :p
iirc S2 and S3 offers a lens adaptor for you to attach filters...etc but you have to buy them seperately unlike the lumix which comes as a package including the hood. the original adaptor cost around S$50, that would add to the total cost.

for $900 you might want to look at the Lumix FZ7 @ about 600 and the rest of the money for a Olympus WC07 (wide converter) + CPL + ND filters.
as for sunset, do look at TianYa filter, one of the cheapest option around. (55mm ring + holder + sunset-orange filter, each is roughly $10) :thumbsup:

thanks for the info....but if i really wanna buy a S3IS......
which adaptor should i buy.....coz i know there are 2...the 52mm and the 58mm....
wat are the different....if i need the wide angle lens

i have also read up on the canon webby about the ""Close-up lens 500D"" what is it for..??

i love to take lotz of mirco......and sunset....to please me GF....hehe

yeah den one more thing...anybody know is there any underwater casing for this camera...????

coz once in a while i also do some diving...

thanks.....

thanks for the info....but if i really wanna buy a S3IS......
which adaptor should i buy.....coz i know there are 2...the 52mm and the 58mm....
wat are the different....if i need the wide angle lens

i have also read up on the canon webby about the ""Close-up lens 500D"" what is it for..??

i love to take lotz of mirco......and sunset....to please me GF....hehe

yeah den one more thing...anybody know is there any underwater casing for this camera...????

coz once in a while i also do some diving...

thanks.....
58 would be better, due to the slightly bigger size, it might make it possible to stack 1-2 more pieces of filters. but the bad thing is, everything will become more pricy due to its size.

as for the 500d close-up lens, it is actually just a piece of "magnifying glass" that enlarge ur image by a very tiny amount, and allows ur camera to focus on object much close making closeup/macro possible. it is best used with camera zoom for better magification and working distance. but iirc the 500D cost pretty much... so you might want to look at a few other alternatives like Raynox DCR250 or the Nikon 4T (8 and 3 diopter respectively, iirc 500D is also about 2-3diopter).

pricy meaning...????? pardon my english hehe....

so if i buy the 58mm adaptor
it will fit the wide angle lens ...plus afew more filtiers larz....???

okie....Den wat sorts of filiter should i buy....

my friend to me to get the UV and porerised filiter.... is it goood..???????

S3 IS is good... :thumbsup: Canon Powershot series are value for money...

Just get a polariser enough already. Something to note if you want to shoot sunset... don't point the camera directly into the sun... you'll damage it...

Personally, I think that you might as well buy a DSLR. Getting a consumer or prosumer camera, and buying all the add-ons, I do not think it is going to make much of difference... At least DSLR give you more control. I think that getting accessories for consumer or prosumer camera is a waste of money...

Not too sure about S3 IS having underwater casing... But there are other series that have it...

Personally, I think that you might as well buy a DSLR. Getting a consumer or prosumer camera, and buying all the add-ons, I do not think it is going to make much of difference... At least DSLR give you more control. I think that getting accessories for consumer or prosumer camera is a waste of money...
DSLR! DSLR!
Actually I wanted to get S3 IS for a start, but end up buying a 400D for it gives me more to play with :)
DSLR! DSLR! :p

the thing is tat my buget doesn't allow me to buy it...lolxx....haha...
plus S3IS can have 12x zoom......and 0 cm mirco......

ermz.....do u all know how much will it cost if i get a DSLR with the 12x zoom and 0 cm mirco lens....?????

the thing is tat my buget doesn't allow me to buy it...lolxx....haha...
plus S3IS can have 12x zoom......and 0 cm mirco......

ermz.....do u all know how much will it cost if i get a DSLR with the 12x zoom and 0 cm mirco lens....?????

What's a 0 cm macro lens? You meant 0 cm min. focusing dist?
I don't think there's any lens with 0 cm focus dist at this moment.

As for 12x Zoom, you can wait for the Tamron 18-250mm which gives you what you call a 13.89X "zoom"... Not sure about this price though. Maybe 1K for this lens.

As for 12x Zoom, you can wait for the Tamron 18-250mm which gives you what you call a 13.89X "zoom"... Not sure about this price though. Maybe 1K for this lens.
Probably won't be so much. It replaces the current 18-200mm which is in the sub-600 price range.

i juz came back from window shopping .....juz now a sales man explain 0cm mirso to me...liao....
they place a 10 dollar note on the class table....and rest the camera lens over the note and like tat take .....after tat i zoom into the note....i can see the letters written on the line....haha....tat is nice...

i juz came back from window shopping .....juz now a sales man explain 0cm mirso to me...liao....
they place a 10 dollar note on the class table....and rest the camera lens over the note and like tat take .....after tat i zoom into the note....i can see the letters written on the line....haha....tat is nice...

He's fooling with you... macro lens have the ability to focus near the subject at long focal lengths.
A 0cm focusing distance means sticking the subject in front of the lens. Where to get light in this case?

Not to be offensive, I suggest you read up your camera's manual or DPreview for more info.
Also for SLRs, we dun normally refer multiplier factors for zoom lens, eg. 8x, 12x... it's always referred to as focal range. If you look at your S3IS, it states the focal range in front.. e.g. 28mm ~ 336mm... etc.

He's fooling with you... macro lens have the ability to focus near the subject at long focal lengths.
A 0cm focusing distance means sticking the subject in front of the lens. Where to get light in this case?

Not to be offensive, I suggest you read up your camera's manual or DPreview for more info.
Also for SLRs, we dun normally refer multiplier factors for zoom lens, eg. 8x, 12x... it's always referred to as focal range. If you look at your S3IS, it states the focal range in front.. e.g. 28mm ~ 336mm... etc.
i do believe what he said tho its not practical like what you say... there will be no light.
as from DPreview, it did state a 0cm macro review as well, tho i was shock by it. At the same time i heard some user are able to do that as well. :dunno:

You think that the prosumer have everything in the world... Yes, they are jack of all trades but master of none. The 12x zoom, 0cm macro, vari-angle LCD screen, ability to take short video clips are indeed attractive... get it if you have no intentions of "expanding" your weapons... Otherwise, get a DSLR... No point getting a prosumer and buy all those adaptors, lens, flash... Just save a little more and you can get one...

i do believe what he said tho its not practical like what you say... there will be no light.
as from DPreview, it did state a 0cm macro review as well, tho i was shock by it. At the same time i heard some user are able to do that as well. :dunno:

My bad... I just looked into DPreview and it states that...
Hmmm... how to get light in this case?

Wonder does it really do macro as what it claimed to be.

My bad... I just looked into DPreview and it states that...
Hmmm... how to get light in this case?

Wonder does it really do macro as what it claimed to be.
i was told to place the object that is not fully opaque on a glass table, and flash if from under the table. ;) :sweatsm:

For the 0cm macro, item has got to be illuminated from the back

However there are very few occation for 0cm macro.

Just got my FZ7 2 wks back, and LOVING IT!!

As Youhong mentioned:" The 12x zoom, 0cm macro, vari-angle LCD screen, ability to take short video clips are indeed attractive... get it if you have no intentions of "expanding" your weapons... Otherwise, get a DSLR... No point getting a prosumer and buy all those adaptors, lens, flash... Just save a little more and you can get one..."

If you're planning to buy tele converters, macro lens, CPL, NDs, etc... then might as well get a dSLR as you'll have more options for future upgrades.

For the 0cm macro, item has got to be illuminated from the back

However there are very few occation for 0cm macro.

Just got my FZ7 2 wks back, and LOVING IT!!

As Youhong mentioned:" The 12x zoom, 0cm macro, vari-angle LCD screen, ability to take short video clips are indeed attractive... get it if you have no intentions of "expanding" your weapons... Otherwise, get a DSLR... No point getting a prosumer and buy all those adaptors, lens, flash... Just save a little more and you can get one..."

If you're planning to buy tele converters, macro lens, CPL, NDs, etc... then might as well get a dSLR as you'll have more options for future upgrades.
1/2 right 1/2 wrong... last time i used fz5 i tot the same... but when i upgrade... i felt the pain. :cry:
I miss the fun of doing macro with my fz5 coupled with close up filter, miss the LCD, miss the OIS (with my current setup i have to nearly follow the 1/focal length shutter spd, where as when im using my fz5, @ 12x zoom i can take sharp pic at about 1/30), you can ask me to use a VR lens, but it gonna cost more than 1k+ for a decent one, which is already more than a prosumer body itself.
even filter for 77mm which is common for dSLR are much more expensive.

but afterall i think it is worthy to skip a prosumer if one is very firm that he will be staying in this hobby for a long time. :thumbsup:

i'm juz a starter.....plus i going army soon......so i don't plan to spend so much on my camera...
let say if u gonna take lotz of insercts....is the mirco mod of this camera good...???

Status
Not open for further replies.