Highly trusted camera shops in Singapore

I'm back here again. Just wondering one thing. When I ask for e-quote from cathay photo, they always return a quote with this disclaimer mentioned.

-------------
In addition, please present this email IMMEDIATELY when you are served by our sales staff so that the above prices are accorded to you. Any purchase made for the quoted product(s) w/o this email, or prior to receiving this email, will render this quote invalid.
-------------

What does this mean? Are they implying that "if you just come into our store and verbally ask for a quote (without presenting the email), we will overcharge you"?

I've found this disclaimer very funny. It's like almost saying we'll overcharge those who don't ask for e-quote first, isn't it?

if ones already ask for e-quote, why don't use it and try to hustle for even better price? (I serious doubt there is any better price)
wasting ones time, the salesman time and the person replied the e-quote? since he don't use it, so the e-quote is invalid.

Hi all,

Looking to get a 60D, walked around peninsula and funan and came across a few shops.

Does anyone have any opinions on these shops?

1) PHOTOCAM (Penin) - 900$
2) The Camera Workshop (Penin) - $945
3) P&G Photographic Centre (Penin) - $950
4) Joy's ElectroMart (Funan) - 960$
5) Cam.X (Penin) 2nd Hand

Currently, the there about prices for the 60D is around 970-980$ as quoted by John 3:16 and TK...

Do share anything! Bought my last camera at an IT Fair... ><

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Looking to get a 60D, walked around peninsula and funan and came across a few shops.

Does anyone have any opinions on these shops?

1) PHOTOCAM (Penin) - 900$
2) The Camera Workshop (Penin) - $945
3) P&G Photographic Centre (Penin) - $950
4) Joy's ElectroMart (Funan) - 960$
5) Cam.X (Penin) 2nd Hand

Currently, the there about prices for the 60D is around 970-980$ as quoted by John 3:16 and TK...

Do share anything! Bought my last camera at an IT Fair... ><

Thanks in advance!

Cam bought from John3:16 and TK are local warranty set... not sure about those shops that you list (they might be grey sets or second hand sets and so... no warranty, some of them do provide some form of shop warranty though, not sure which one). If that is fine with you, then by all means, go ahead... for me... I would go for the recommended shops that was listed in our marketplace section. Anyway, the price difference is really not that large... so to me, the saving is not really worth that type of risk.

Cam bought from John3:16 and TK are local warranty set... not sure about those shops that you list (they might be grey sets or second hand sets and so... no warranty, some of them do provide some form of shop warranty though, not sure which one). If that is fine with you, then by all means, go ahead... for me... I would go for the recommended shops that was listed in our marketplace section. Anyway, the price difference is really not that large... so to me, the saving is not really worth that type of risk.

Hi Rhino123,

Thanks for the advice. P&G offered me shop warranty for their 2nd hand 60D (~750$)... The rest claims to have local warranty, but like what you said, that small bit may make a huge difference.

Might wait till wednesday to decide, after canon releases their 70D *fingers crossed*!

Thanks again!

Signed up for an account here just to make sure that shops like LUCKY CENTRE would burn.

Was searching for a Canon Powershot G7x and landed up at Lucky Centre (Lucky Plaza) after getting quoted for $650 (other shops were selling for $725).

Researched a little more and went back a day later, where the sales rep recognised me and asked a few more questions, and re-quoted $680, saying that this was the price with warranty. I was ready to take it when he asked a few other questions, including payment method. Then he said that payment by cash would incur an additional 7% GST, while credit payment wouldn't. After a few more rounds of clarification, I found out that the 7% charge would apply no matter what, meaning a total price of $728. Walked out of there saying I would reconsider. My guess is that he hoped I would pay by credit without being informed about the extra 7%, and when I did, it would've been too late.

To all noobies like myself, the lesson learnt is to hold on to your money until you have clarified all the terms, and let the salesperson believe that you're not in a hurry to purchase.

Signed up for an account here just to make sure that shops like LUCKY CENTRE would burn. Was searching for a Canon Powershot G7x and landed up at Lucky Centre (Lucky Plaza) after getting quoted for $650 (other shops were selling for $725). Researched a little more and went back a day later, where the sales rep recognised me and asked a few more questions, and re-quoted $680, saying that this was the price with warranty. I was ready to take it when he asked a few other questions, including payment method. Then he said that payment by cash would incur an additional 7% GST, while credit payment wouldn't. After a few more rounds of clarification, I found out that the 7% charge would apply no matter what, meaning a total price of $728. Walked out of there saying I would reconsider. My guess is that he hoped I would pay by credit without being informed about the extra 7%, and when I did, it would've been too late. To all noobies like myself, the lesson learnt is to hold on to your money until you have clarified all the terms, and let the salesperson believe that you're not in a hurry to purchase.

please refer to the thread with the list of trusted shops :)

From what I heard only shop that you can buy from in Lucky Plaza is iPhoto... I bought from them once only because I got voucher, looked for Raymond as recommended by my friend. He was friendly and offered competitive price.

However even from the trusted shops, you still have to do your homework, some offer good price for some items but may be overpriced for others.
Must pay one way or another one la, either with your money or time (doing research hehe...)

Just grab gears from SLR, TK, Cathay or John 316 - Funan

Just grab gears from SLR, TK, Cathay or John 316 - Funan

Er... Cathay is not in Funan. Cathay Photo had two outlets in Peninsula Plaza and one in Marina Square.

As for reputable shops, other than SLRR, TKfoto, Cathay and John3:16, I got quite a number of my stuff from Orient Photo Sim Lim Square (6th floor), MScolor (Ang Mo Kio) and I received good price quotation from Click! (Funan) - although in the end didn't buy anything there so couldn't commend on their service. I stayed away from Lucky Plaza (never visit any of their shop, too many horror stories there, but I am sure that iphoto is pretty alright since a number of CS brothers actually visited that shop).

Why nobody mention Alan Photo? Isn't a trusted shop?

to prevent yourself being "chopped carrot", the best thing you can do is DO YOU HOMEWORK FIRST before you shop.

and also check price check stocks before you head down to the store.

Some say yes, some say no. So far I bought a spare battery from them only so no comments.

Anyway, a good read,

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540012&page=9
http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depot/205015-alan-photo-funan-tried-cheat-my-dad-100-a.html

As a rule of thumb, only buy what you have done research on. Then check the product carefully when you are handed them, don't take it for granted that the product that was handed to you is indeed the one you have purchase or was free of defects no matter where you buy your stuff from.

Some swear by it, but many have also complained about them. It seems most of the complaints come from the Funan branch. But do your homework and keep your eyes open and you will be fine. If something feels wrong, just walk away. Never pay before you have the goods in your hands.

Some swear by it, but many have also complained about them. It seems most of the complaints come from the Funan branch. But do your homework and keep your eyes open and you will be fine. If something feels wrong, just walk away. Never pay before you have the goods in your hands.

lol. 50/50 I buy small stuff from them like batteries, barton strap etc generally okay lol I remember when I was new they tried to push the wide angle convertor "lens" to me for 400.

so just do your research before going down

Are there any trusted shops for buying grey items like cameras. How about artworkfoto

Are there any trusted shops for buying grey items like cameras. How about artworkfoto

I bought quite a number of things from Artworkfoto (not camera though) and so far as good. I have also not heard of any bad things about this company, I am guessing they should be alright. But I don't see that much saving anyway when purchasing grey set from them.

Personally I always go to Joy's at Funan Mall. Was introduced by a friend to this shop. Bought a D800E at $2,450 from this shop & is grey set. They do sell local set too which is more expensive if I remember local set for D800 at $3,000 so I suppose D800E local set it would be around $3,400 so I saved $950 which is a good deal. The only thing is they would keep asking you about buying other lens that you may not require so you got to know how to evade those questions. Overall I think quite trusted shop for me cause I walked funan all the price for D800E local set is slightly higher than his local set.

Ps: all the prices is based on last year due to i bought my D800E last year.

Personally I always go to Joy's at Funan Mall. Was introduced by a friend to this shop. Bought a D800E at $2,450 from this shop & is grey set. They do sell local set too which is more expensive if I remember local set for D800 at $3,000 so I suppose D800E local set it would be around $3,400 so I saved $950 which is a good deal. The only thing is they would keep asking you about buying other lens that you may not require so you got to know how to evade those questions. Overall I think quite trusted shop for me cause I walked funan all the price for D800E local set is slightly higher than his local set.

Ps: all the prices is based on last year due to i bought my D800E last year.

Joy's?? You are a very very brave person...

Just do a search on Joy and you will understand my apprehension. Definitely one store i avoid like the plague.