high speed sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy99

Feb 11, 2008
Understand that high speed sync can be use a fill in flash when doing outdoor shoot . i.e bird under some shade

Is this a must or does this yield a better photo???

do we use a bounce card, omni bounce or fire straight ???

Thanks for the advice ??

In most cases, HSS is activated only in direct flash, because the output is greatly limited.

The advantage is that it allows you use a wider aperture, hence faster shutter speed in bright daylight. Wider aperture produces shallower depth of field, enabling your subject to stand out from a blurred background.

With slower syn speed, you are forced to use a smaller aperture, which results in a greater depth of field.

Understand that high speed sync can be use a fill in flash when doing outdoor shoot . i.e bird under some shade

Is this a must or does this yield a better photo???

do we use a bounce card, omni bounce or fire straight ???

Thanks for the advice ??

High speed sync is not a necessity per say, but it's a great help when you need to shoot with flash at high shutter speeds.

This is often used in situations such as birding as the BG is often the bright sky which would give us a high shutter speed even if we stop down the aperture to f8. In such a case, if the shutter speed is forced down to the standard 1/250 maximum for most cameras, it may cause over-exposure in the bright sky BG.

With this feature, you can shoot at the higher shutter speeds and retain the correct exposure. ;)

zac 08 ... meaning to say with high speen sync ...the shutter speed can go beyond 1/250?

eg 1/1000 rather than the usual 1/250 on normal flash situation ??

regarding the firing straight part , if the subject (bird) is quite far away do you guys fire straight , will this wash out the detail . Or do you fire 45 degree with a difuser???

zac 08 ... meaning to say with high speen sync ...the shutter speed can go beyond 1/250?

eg 1/1000 rather than the usual 1/250 on normal flash situation ??

regarding the firing straight part , if the subject (bird) is quite far away do you guys fire straight , will this wash out the detail . Or do you fire 45 degree with a difuser???

Yes, you get to shoot at the higher shutter speeds. ;)

And direct... you need the power now, if you think it may wash out the details, then use a negative EV setting. You need to test this out yourself as this varies from case to case. ;)

I use this for macro shooting too. And I normally dial in a negative ev of about -2.0 to maintain the details of the small insects I encounter. ;)

Thanks Zac ... you have been really helpful ,appreciate it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.