High Speed Sync Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
in simpler terms is able to shoot in "day" time with flash...
due to high shutter speed and the flash is able to sync.

Let's see...

when you need to shoot with a flash at speeds higher than 1/125 sec. The high-speed syn should allow for a normal maximum shutter speed of abt 1/250sec

Henessy said:
But if you stop down your apeture, you can shoot at a lower shutter speed.:dunno:
correct... but sometimes you want the bokeh....
how?

Henessy said:
But if you stop down your apeture, you can shoot at a lower shutter speed.:dunno:

not necessarily true.. sometimes, in bright sunlight, when you are using fill flash, you open up aperture say to 2.8 because you want bokeh , even at ISO 100, but you may still need a shutter speed in excess of 1/250 to correctly expose.

jdredd said:
not necessarily true.. sometimes, in bright sunlight, when you are using fill flash, you open up aperture say to 2.8 because you want bokeh , even at ISO 100, but you may still need a shutter speed in excess of 1/250 to correctly expose.
Certain camera high speed sync can go beyond 1/250 ~ 1/8000 sec. :)

Ok, a bit side track from the topic. Is it possible to perform fill in flash just using SB-800 or 580EX with small apeture like f8 and above?

Thanks

Henessy said:
Ok, a bit side track from the topic. Is it possible to perform fill in flash just using SB-800 or 580EX with small apeture like f8 and above?

Thanks
Why not????
do yr own experiment is the best! :)

Does it mean that if I only use fill in flash for group shots, I most probably will not need high speed syn flash, since the apeture involved is usually quite small.

Henessy said:
Does it mean that if I only use fill in flash for group shots, I most probably will not need high speed syn flash, since the apeture involved is usually quite small.
Don't restrict yourself... do some testing on your own.
if you cannot get the exposure that you want in Program/Apeture mode then go Fully Manual mode.

jnet6 said:
Certain camera high speed sync can go beyond 1/250 ~ 1/8000 sec. :)

as far as i know, highest sync speed is 1/500..

after that, its not really in sycn with flash.

jnet6 said:
are you sure...???

sorry let me reprhase that... the highest speed that i now that the flash is fully in sync with the shutter is 1/500. you can get very high shutter syn speeds with flash, up to 1/4000 etc etc,,, but for those high speed syncs, you dont get a full flash exposure over the whole picture.

I usually only need fill-in flash for group shots. But heard from somebody that fill in is only effective from f4 and below, and it usually requires very high flash syn speed. Thats why I never tried fill in flash for group shot before, since it requires very small apeture.

jdredd said:
sorry let me reprhase that... the highest speed that i now that the flash is fully in sync with the shutter is 1/500. you can get very high shutter syn speeds with flash, up to 1/4000 etc etc,,, but for those high speed syncs, you dont get a full flash exposure over the whole picture.
The main thing is the flash/stobe can sync at high speed...
to be capture on to the CCD/CMOS have to depends on the flash/stobe.

that will solve 1 problem for flash sync, the rest is up to the photographer to control the whole situation.

Henessy said:
I usually only need fill-in flash for group shots. But heard from somebody that fill in is only effective from f4 and below, and it usually requires very high flash syn speed. Thats why I never tried fill in flash for group shot before, since it requires very small apeture.
i've done portaits fill-in flash at F11+slave... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.