High speed SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex76

Oct 19, 2005
Hi,

any High speed SD card to recommend for Canon A700? and what r the price range?
need to gather some info... heading to SLS later.

Thanks

sandisk ultra 3 can get from active foto 4th floor simlim for ard $95

ooo...wonder if u went go get already.

i get my cards from best bargain at 5th level

my choice would be kingston elite pro or ultimate 2GB if you shoot alot. can it at at the price of 85-104 in sls

A-Data Turbo speed 150x is cheaper. No need to get Sandisk Ultimate so expensive. The camera cannot utilise the high speed of 133x anyway... balance cost & performance is better. 80X speed is also considered high speed. There is the Transcend 80X also.

for prosumer digicams, i dont think its really necessary to get super high speed CF cards.
really, the only time you can tell the difference is when you are burst shooting several frames per second and u need to be able to write to the card as fast as possible.

ermz.. then wat kind of card should prosumer get? A540, A700, S3IS, H2, H5 are prosumers?

A high speed card SD card, i.e. 133X, is recommended if your digicam can take video clips at 640 x 480 resolution. A slower card may cause drop frames when taking video while the higher speed card will sustain the minimum write speed for smooth video.

If you're not taking video, a cheap normal speed card would be suffice in most cases.

So 133X is gd for 640 x 480. But subaru_sti_22b said its over powered. And suggested a slower speed. Now i'm confused..

ExplorerZ said:
my choice would be kingston elite pro or ultimate 2GB if you shoot alot. can it at at the price of 85-104 in sls

Woah! Is it?

Got my Ultimate 2G at $230 when it first came out... :dunno:

ryuggen said:
So 133X is gd for 640 x 480. But subaru_sti_22b said its over powered. And suggested a slower speed. Now i'm confused..

I believe subaru_sti_22b was talking about talking still pictures and not video. I mentioned the need of high speed card to capture smooth VIDEO at 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second with some of the new digicams. The digicam will be constantly writing to the memory card during the video capture so the write speed of the memory card is a specification that is worth looking into.

i still dont think thats a problem even with video. even the crappiest SD/CF cards will write at about 3.5mb/ sec.

a 640 x 480 at 30 fps, will use up about 16 mb in 35 seconds.. which is way under 1mb/sec. this is also not taking into account the built in buffer in the camera.

jdredd said:
i still dont think thats a problem even with video. even the crappiest SD/CF cards will write at about 3.5mb/ sec.

a 640 x 480 at 30 fps, will use up about 16 mb in 35 seconds.. which is way under 1mb/sec. this is also not taking into account the built in buffer in the camera.

I own a Panasonic FX-9 which can record video at 640 x 480/30fps in MOV format. The manual states "When you set the picture quality to 30fpsVGA, we recommend using a high speed SD memory card with 10 MB/s or greater displayed on the package".

A 17 second clip that I took a couple of months ago, taken at VGA quality, has a file size of 24 MB.

'Nuff said.

there is a big difference between what a card can theoretically write, and its actual write speed.

the fastest write speeds for high end DSLRs are only approaching 7-8mb/s.
you can check the figures at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

so a 10mb/s requirement for a prosumer? sorry,dont buy it.

even at your 24mb for 17 seconds, that still works out to 1.4mb/seconds. thats still way under the capacity for even regular CF/SD cards...

and again, this doesnt take into account built in camera buffer.

just order 4GB SD from yklim...
here

more cheap than simlim... :)
last 9 i got goto sim lim n ask the utral II 2GB is $199... maybe the difference is speed n brand, y not try A DATA SD?? :)

My Laptop is running on extra ADATA Ram. But errors started coming out after I've used it for 6mth. Yes, lifetime warranty, but donno where to service.

jdredd said:
there is a big difference between what a card can theoretically write, and its actual write speed.

the fastest write speeds for high end DSLRs are only approaching 7-8mb/s.
you can check the figures at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

so a 10mb/s requirement for a prosumer? sorry,dont buy it.

even at your 24mb for 17 seconds, that still works out to 1.4mb/seconds. thats still way under the capacity for even regular CF/SD cards...

and again, this doesnt take into account built in camera buffer.

It does not mean that the camera can write at 10MB/s but rather a fast card will not be the bottleneck in capturing videos. Anyway, 10MB/s is theoretical speeds under certain conditions and would not be the sustainable burst rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.