High Speed Continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Often see slr cameras advertise fps from the High Speed Continuous rather then the Low Speed Continuous. Do you check the Low Speed Continuous Speed?

edit: do you care the Low Speed Continuous Speed if its very low?

Last edited:
Its essentially anything lower than the high speed continuous.

Often see slr cameras advertise fps from the High Speed Continuous rather then the Low Speed Continuous. Do you check the Low Speed Continuous Speed?

edit: do you care the Low Speed Continuous Speed if its very low?

i personally use low speed continuous only... my body allow me to adjust the speed i want... i set to 2fps... i set to 2fps from the original 3fps setting because i know i got itchy hands to shoot continuously... this would eliminate some of the repeated shots... ;p

frankly, having a high continuous speed is nothing....even if 100fps its nothing IF its focusing is like shiit and the focusing is unable to catch up to the high fps speed.

imagine this scenario: An person may be a guiness world record holder and can open its mouth and shoot tonnes of words at 100fps at you, but its no use IF all the 100 fps words that come out from his mouth are rubbish. However, if the person is focused, and is able to delivery highly technical and flawless speech in relation to nuclear physics at 100words per second, this is wat i call ZAI and good :thumbsup:

let me just give u an example in photography terms, nikon likes to advertise D300's 8fps ability, but as a user myself, all i can say its not good at all. why? because the focusing of the D300 is not fast in itself, so much so that even at 8fps, many pics are not in focused. in case anyone wanna challenge, this is observed thru a 70-200vr.

try a 1d mk ii or 1d mk iii and u will know wat HIGH SPEED CONTINUOUS means........

I guess the high speed continuous mode is a good-to-have, though I find that the low speed (set at 3-4 fps for me) is more useful in post-processing as there are less repeated images to delete. Apart from shooting sports or flying animals, I wonder many more usable images can 8, 9 or 11 fps yield?

Also, depending on the speed of the motor drive in the lens mounted, as kcuf2 and jaRv1s mentioned the high fps number is not indicative of the actual number of sharp images taken in the "focus and release" setting rather than the "continuous release" setting, which is more like a fire-and-forget mode hoping to score some in-focus shots in the melee of burst shooting.

In the end what probably matters more is the percentage of sharp shots over and above the max fps the high/low continuous shooting modes can offer. What percentage you get with your lens + camera combination is probably something only you can test for yourself, e.g. high-fps body + slow zoom lens vs mid-fps body + fast prime should yield different results.

Status
Not open for further replies.