High Speed Compact Flash: Is it worth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVB88

Dec 9, 2005
Hi All,
I am using 350D and planning to buy one of these CF for my trip.

These are the comparison:
Kingston 2GB CF Elite Pro (50X) = $94+
Sandisk 2GB CF Ultra II (60X) = $145+
Lexar 2GB Pro CF (80X) = $150+

All of these cards have life time warranty.
Is it worth the $ to buy super high speed CF? :dunno:

Thanks.

It worth it if you do a lot of continuous shoots or shoot in RAW, which you don't want to miss a shot because of delay in writing time. I personally keep both fast and slower CF cards.

Thanks Zcf.

Currently I am using sandisk ultra II (60X), and no problem with it.
Most of the time, I shot in JPEG. And seldom use continuous shoots.

Is there any significant differences between 50X and 60X/80X ?

i use the kingston elite pro. no probs at all. i dont shoot sports so the card is good enough. today's price = 93 from best bargain

Chandra, the Kingston one should suffice for your trip :)

Thanks Isaiahfortythirtyone, Nic.

Wow, the price even cheaper... ;p

where to get the kingston at that price :-s
seem no stock

yeah, seems to be a shortage of CF in sim lim.....

Hi Bro,

You may like to consider getting a Portable Harddrive instead like the PD70X if you already owe CF cards but need more storage space. Also, portable HDD will enable you to bring it overseas and not worry about not having enough CF cards for long trips.

Cheers

My advise is spend on what you can afford. :)
If you don't need the high speed then go for the lower speed ones.

However, some cards do not work that well in colder climates imo.
I've experienced some probs while taking pix in snowy weather with 2 brands of cards. :p

I recommend either the Ultra II or Lexar Pro. They're reasonably priced and are well worth the $$.

HVB88 said:
Thanks Zcf.

Currently I am using sandisk ultra II (60X), and no problem with it.
Most of the time, I shot in JPEG. And seldom use continuous shoots.

Is there any significant differences between 50X and 60X/80X ?

There isn't much significant differences. Not when the 350D buffer is big enough about 20 jpgs at 3FPS, and 6RAW files at 3FPS. Since you don't shoot continous mode, you won't even be able to press the shutter fast enough to reach the state where you can't take any photos.
Since you shoot only JPG... I think even a simple normal speed card is enough.
Playback will be noticably slower though.
If I were you I'd just take 2x kingston instead of 1x ultra 2. I'll avoid Lexar, 2 different batches of cards has failed on me, but that's just me. I dun wanna risk losing all my photos again. It's got nothing to do with the card, but problems with canon and lexar cards. It's just me though. and a couple of other guys. Not everyone.
Better take heed.. No point buying too expensive cards if you're not going to use its full potential anyway. Think a 2GB card cost more than $400 the same time last year. I bought my Ultra II 1GB card at $140 last year, the same price you can get a Ultra II 2GB card now. No point throwing your $$ away unless it's going to be buying something that you need.

The only time I've ever managed to max out the buffer during shooting with the Ultra II card was during some benchmarking tests that I did.
I've not even managed to max out the buffer shooting with a slower Seagate 8GB MD shooting RAW either.

Thanks for your inputs Bros.

My friend once told me: "Buy what you need, not what you want..." and I think quite true :bsmilie:

Just bought the 50X card from Best Bargain this afternoon @ $93.40.
It works very well...

going to get my kingston 2GB soon.... thats the only one i can afford :thumbsup:

Close this thread.
Thanks to All. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.