high end P&S or low end DSLR?

My son (sec 3 student) is using P5100 with SB400 and he's happy with it. However, when he mingled with his schoolmates, some of them are using DSLR. Now he is asking me to consider upgrading it to a DSLR. One of his obstacle is the zoom range - when he borrow my D70s with 18-200mm, he got the flexibility. On the other side, he also complain about the weight and size.

I was trying to offer him the newer P7000, but he did his research and found the D3100. But, we can't save some cost because nobody sell D3100 body only. There will be a waste on the kit lens, since he will not use it at all ( he love my 18-200mm lens :) ...

Please help me with some consideration points for my son.

Thanks,
Riyanto

According to your description, personally, I would advise you to sell away the D70S body and buy a second-hand D90 body.

Try to convince your son that weight and size is inevitable as he is using a decent DSLR and tell him not to worry as he will get used to it after a couple of outings as I deemed that he is too used to the size and weight of a PnS.

Also, tell him that DSLR were not designed to be heavy for fun. AF motors, better covers and sealing, extra buttons and switches... all is to help him to be a better photographer.

Since your son is using P5100, I presumed that he had the basic knowledge in photography. I think it shouldn't be difficult to convince him right?

Shoot good pictures with a light PnS or shoot even better pictures with a more heavier DSLR? Let him do the choice.... :)

Last edited:
Dear all,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I've asked him to read it. Finally he decided to start saving his pocketmoney (+ his angpao throughout the years :D ) for a D90.

It is correct that he has the basic knowledge. I allowed him to use my D70 since he was in primary school. He choose the P5100 + SB400 before because of the size (he was at P6 during that time).

cheers,
Riyanto

According to your description, personally, I would advise you to sell away the D70S body and buy a second-hand D90 body.

Try to convince your son that weight and size is inevitable as he is using a decent DSLR and tell him not to worry as he will get used to it after a couple of outings as I deemed that he is too used to the size and weight of a PnS.

Also, tell him that DSLR were not designed to be heavy for fun. AF motors, better covers and sealing, extra buttons and switches... all is to help him to be a better photographer.

Since your son is using P5100, I presumed that he had the basic knowledge in photography. I think it shouldn't be difficult to convince him right?

Shoot good pictures with a light PnS or shoot even better pictures with a more heavier DSLR? Let him do the choice.... :)

now, we all know what are the big advantages of dSLR. Like high ISO capability, like fast AF and shutter response among other things.

and the satisfaction of some great pictures you got and that is for keeps forever......

When TS's son goes for NS, the rifle would be much, much heavier than the dslr+lens.......

Which pns? Leica X1? Or fuji X100?

I will take the Leica X1 if it is free, then sell it and get lenses. ;p

Back to topic, pns or Dslr each have their uses. Sometimes when traveling, it is better to use a prosumer compact. Don't sell the P5100. Keep it handy. It is good to have both.

Last edited: