high end P&S or low end DSLR?

Yeah thanks for clarifying. I do get what you mean :)
I still prefer my DSLR but I understand it's not to everyone's taste. PnS makes more sense for a number of people.

Me too. But a PnS would be really convenient for everyday casual shooting, in school or at work.

Actually, you can try John 3:16. They are willing to sell the body only at $750. But it's not the best thing to do as u might be able to sell the 18-5mm slightly higher.

If he is only into reach, maybe you should ask your son to try out Fujifilm HS10. It's a brilliant camera for the price. It's not a DSLR, but it has a 30x zoom. And it doesn't look too shabby.

My son (sec 3 student) is using P5100 with SB400 and he's happy with it. However, when he mingled with his schoolmates, some of them are using DSLR. Now he is asking me to consider upgrading it to a DSLR. One of his obstacle is the zoom range - when he borrow my D70s with 18-200mm, he got the flexibility. On the other side, he also complain about the weight and size.

I was trying to offer him the newer P7000, but he did his research and found the D3100. But, we can't save some cost because nobody sell D3100 body only. There will be a waste on the kit lens, since he will not use it at all ( he love my 18-200mm lens :) ...

Please help me with some consideration points for my son.

Thanks,
Riyanto

On one hand, he wants to upgrade to DSLR and on the other hand, he is complaining about the weight and size...:sweat::sweatsm:

You may have to ensure that the request for upgrade is not due to peer pressure. :bsmilie:

TS,
if your son is concerned with the weight and size of a camera, then P&S is the way to go. If he intend to pursue his interest in photography, then DSLR is the way to go. Only he himself knows best what he want. If he does not shoot alot but he is just buying to relieve the peer pressure of his classmates, then do nothing as such pressure is always there from time to time.

Otherwise, Micro 4/3 mirrorless is a good compromise between size and image quality. Drawback is that it's also got the disadvantages of a DSLR (dust on sensor, price) with all the disadvantages of PnS (Slow AF, no optical VF).

I remember last time, when the D3100 was launched, somebody ever bought the kit, but 'sell' the lens back to the shop (Alan Photo IIRC). The kit was $840, and I remember the 'body only' was $690.

You might want to check out any of the shops, like AP as mentioned, or even iPhoto.

I heard the D3000/D3100 was Nikon's worst ever DSLR (according to Ken Rockwell).

Not the D3100. I know he said the D3000 was horrible, but definitely not the D3100.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm

Ken actually said that the D3100 is a GREAT camera. He also said it's images "are pretty similar to the D3 and D700 ..." if you trust Ken, the d3100 is an ideal choice.

hey!!!! you can go pinesula shopping centre to look for second hand 3100 or maybe the shopping centre opposite funan. i bet they do sell second hand cameras. and i am using 18-55 and 55-200 lens which is better in my pov.

i thought he also mentioned D7000 is nikon best camera? lol.

Get him a Sony Nex series?
Sleek and compact, interchangeable lens.

actually i recently had some experience with the D3100
see the results for yourself

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358

Like your approach with your gears.

Nothing wrong with pixel-peeping, but if one approach photography as an art, would the quality of the paint and the canvas matter that much? Maybe for a maestro, but for the general public?

in the case of photography, the thing that matters most is the quality of the light

with good light any camera can take nice images
with flat light every camera will take flat pictures

even hand phone and toy cameras

of course if you can afford it, buy the best

Last edited: