High end lenses on entry level body

Ivshootphoto

Dec 17, 2007
Hi All,

Just wanna find out more between the this relations.
Will a high end lens work well on a entry level body.. ?
Because I know that there are lenses that are expensive and normally a hobbyist like me, who is having an entry level body would have the thought of compatibility, and we might have the thought of will the high ends lens work well with the entry level body.

Thanks

Technical compatibility? Please check the websites of your camera maker for lens compatibility. And why would any maker produce bodies where a certain range of lenses cannot fit or cannot work well? :dunno:
Check the lens review sites. Good example: www.photozone.de. They used a Canon 350D for a long time, even when it was out of production.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Because I know that there are lenses that are expensive and normally a hobbyist like me, who is having an entry level body would have the thought of compatibility, and we might have the thought of will the high ends lens work well with the entry level body.

Thanks

High end lenses are compatible with entry level bodies for most brands but like octarine said, check with your camera maker if unsure.

Hi All,

Thanks
too difiicult to answer your question specifically... which high-end lens(es) and which camera body?

Hi All,

Thanks
Are you asking something like EF 24-70 f/2.8 mounted on a 300D vs Sigma 28-300 mounted on a 1DmkIV?

If for general use, i would take the 24-70 + 300D combo anytime.

Some yes and some no. Depends.
PS. General question gets general answer.

Hi All,

Thanks

A "high end" lens will produce better images on an entry level camera than a kit lens. BUT the same "high end" lens will produce even better images on a "high end" camera.

Just go n buy. if cannot fit to current slr..... get a new 1 since the lens is not an issue for you.

Hi there, entry level bodies normally do not have inbuilt autofocus motor. So you might wanna get lens with focus motor, or else you have to focus manually.

Hi there, entry level bodies normally do not have inbuilt autofocus motor. So you might wanna get lens with focus motor, or else you have to focus manually.
mainly applies to Nikon... the rest have found their own solution that doesn't have this 'segregation'... ;)

for example, (I think) all of the Canon DSLRs have no inbuilt autofocus motor.

Hi All,

Thanks

Depending on how high the high end lens you are referring to? It'll be overkill to use high end lens for an entry level body.

Normally kit lens from the same camera brand are perfectly matched to the camera. Using any other lenses may therefore degrade performance. :cool:

Hi All,

Thanks

if they're both from the same manufacturer, i dont see why not. other than Fx (full-frame) bodies having issues with Dx (cropped-frame) lenses e.g. vignetting. but yours is a cropped-frame (entry-level) body so shoudn't have any issues using "high-end" lenses. only thing is most "high-end" lenses are heavy, so might not be well-balanced when attached to lighter entry-level bodies