High end CRT monitor importer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komodo

Jun 26, 2009
Hello CSers,
Just would like to know whether u guys know of any business contact to buy high end CRT?...many places not selling this tech anymore. Pls help...:cry: btw i'm nt interested with latest Lacie, NEC, Samsung, LG or NEC high end LCD...i need to rob a bank to buy them.

Hello CSers,
Just would like to know whether u guys know of any business contact to buy high end CRT?...many places not selling this tech anymore. Pls help...:cry: btw i'm nt interested with latest Lacie, NEC, Samsung, LG or NEC high end LCD...i need to rob a bank to buy them.

Actually, a high-end LCD will be CHEAPER than a high-end CRT. If you want the best CRTs, those would be the Sony Trinitron and the NEC ones. But for the cost of a pro-grade CRT, you can get a IPS 30" Dell LCD panel already.

Since the technology have evolved to the LCD era, CRT is only available as "left-over" stock and mostly 2nd hand.
I frequent IT/electronics shops, I don't see CRT anymore..

I bought a 19" LaCie flat CRT with color correction device for 1700$ almost a decade ago.
Still using it today.

Thanks guys for ur comments. i found some brand new ones at ebay but will be crazy if i were to import it in,imagine the postage??!!! CRT don't have viewing angle prob moreover very affordable now but can't find it here...damn. Still have many others in China & Japan. Just wonder whether malaysia has it.Many CRTs were made in malaysia anyway. ;p

How's ur Lacie performing now Reim1o? Still can use? I thought CRT lifespan is 6years max?

nope. if you take good care of it, it can last quite long.

i have a HP p1230 sitting with my secondary workstation running just fine. the details i can get out of it still beats any LCD panel.

CRT is best for gaming too. No LCD lag, you'll have a split second head-start on the competition...

Thanks guys for ur comments. i found some brand new ones at ebay but will be crazy if i were to import it in,imagine the postage??!!! CRT don't have viewing angle prob moreover very affordable now but can't find it here...damn. Still have many others in China & Japan. Just wonder whether malaysia has it.Many CRTs were made in malaysia anyway. ;p

How's ur Lacie performing now Reim1o? Still can use? I thought CRT lifespan is 6years max?

I quit waiting for my CRT to die after 9 yrs and just gave it away (21inch Trinitron no less).... if only your thread was a couple of years earlier ha ha

OK..... best bet at budget price is to go to Little India computer karang guni shops and put down a special request ..... offer a $100-150 reward for a 21inch IBM (they use Trinitron tube and weight a fricking ton ) P202 (I think) ...... they will sure keep it and call you when one comes through its collection channels

or some other model

Just pray hard and be patient........ or advertise here..... you never know

Last edited:
ya Clown & Rashkae,agree with u guys..that's y i still fall in love with dinasour age tech haha.

"OK..... best bet at budget price is to go to Little India computer karang guni shops and put down a special request ..... offer a $100-150 reward for a 21inch IBM (they use Trinitron tube and weight a fricking ton ) P202 (I think) ...... they will sure keep it and call you when one comes through its collection channels"
---Hi ed9119,weight wise i suppose is 19-25kg easily depends on model.My friend able to help me get a BRAND NEW crt.Resolution is 1280 x 1024. What u u guys think of this resolution? Thinking to buy two & calibrate with Spyder 3 Pro. He told me is made in malaysia,manufactured in year 2000.Later batch of CRT i know of is made in china.No thanks.I still want top end NEC !!!....contrast,brightness,colour,viewing angle,etc....u name it,beats latest LCD hands on baby! Some spore companies are actually using CRTs & many of them are under utilize (my sis told me). Unfortunately,i can't be crazy enough to knock on their doors & ask them to sell right?I dun think they own top end CRTs anyway. :nono:

1280x1024 res is 19" or worst, 17" with pathetic 60Hz vertical scan. if you only have the spec, check for horizontal scan rate, they are in kHz, budget low end 17" model have less than 70kHz, high end 19" are in 90~100kHz, best >21" have >110kHz.

the best CRT came from Sony Trinitron(or Diamondtron, if you prefer Mitsubishi)--Aperture Grille tube. they stop the <19" AG tube production in 2003, the >21" AG a while later when Sony found LCD has way better profit. the assembly of the monitor itself can be done one year later, the last Trinitron monitor may be made in late 2004. so 2000 is NOT the later batch of CRT. in fact, the first visually flat CRT--FD Trinitron was introduce to the market in 1999(98 actually but we only see it in 99 locally), and I bought my first FD Trinitron, the Sony CPD-G420 19" in Mar 2001--thats the 2nd gen/Mark II of the original CPD-G400.

the monitor work fine and the color thrash any LCD. but the local whether and non-air-con room plus I refuse to add fan to the monitor to draw heat out, the internal electronic conk out in 2006. I actually carry the 25KG monster from my block in Tampines to a ulu place in Bukit Batok, not once, not twice but THRICE! to try to repair the monitor. it wake up in between the visit to the useless technician place before finally I decide to just let it RIP. all because of a incompetent technician and lack of spare parts.

on the bright side, my other Trinitron still serving me well--the Sony CPD-G520! :cool: made in 2001.

Thank u very much kurtlim for your comment..so jealous of ur monitor. I bought two monitors below !!! yes i know nothing to be proud of bcoz of the resolution but this is the only BRAND NEW CRTs i can find u see. Resolution crisp enough..i ain't pro u see,otherwise i'll get NEC W2690 already & bill my company! :sticktong

Model : HP71 (D8901A)
Max Resolution : 1280 x 1024
Sync Type : Seperate
H Freq/ V Freq : 30-70khz / 50-120 hz
Tube Manufacturer:
Monitor Type : Fixed-Frequency
Tube Model:
Tube Size : 17
Connector : 5 BNC

What do u think? possible to use it for landscape editing? Studio portrait? :embrass:

Hi kurtlim, can u explain what is this statement meant? "Digital Multiscan® Technology supports up to 1920 x 1440 @ 60Hz" I took it fr the website below
http://www.sony.com.au/objects/PDF/ITP/CPDG420.pdf

What i don't understand is that what's the actual resolution? 1920 x 1440?? Better than my new HP 71? i maybe able to buy this Sony CRT though..well 2nd hand. Are there things any special things to look out for? :embrass:

Thank u very much kurtlim for your comment..so jealous of ur monitor. I bought two monitors below !!! yes i know nothing to be proud of bcoz of the resolution but this is the only BRAND NEW CRTs i can find u see. Resolution crisp enough..i ain't pro u see,otherwise i'll get NEC W2690 already & bill my company! :sticktong

Model : HP71 (D8901A)
Max Resolution : 1280 x 1024
Sync Type : Seperate
H Freq/ V Freq : 30-70khz / 50-120 hz
Tube Manufacturer:
Monitor Type : Fixed-Frequency
Tube Model:
Tube Size : 17
Connector : 5 BNC

What do u think? possible to use it for landscape editing? Studio portrait? :embrass:

that's 17" CRT with ~16" viewable display. with a horizontal scan rate of 70kHz, the vertical refresh rate will be limited at 1280x1024@60Hz or 1024x768@85Hz. also, using 1280x1024 resolution on a 16"(real) CRT will make text too small to be read. I can't find its tube info, but judging from this PDF with dot pitch of 0.28mm, this is a conventional curvy shadow mask tube.

Hi kurtlim, can u explain what is this statement meant? "Digital Multiscan® Technology supports up to 1920 x 1440 @ 60Hz" I took it fr the website below
http://www.sony.com.au/objects/PDF/ITP/CPDG420.pdf

What i don't understand is that what's the actual resolution? 1920 x 1440?? Better than my new HP 71? i maybe able to buy this Sony CRT though..well 2nd hand. Are there things any special things to look out for? :embrass:

That's Sony CPD-G420! My favorite monitor. its top of the line 19" FD Trinitron AG, the HP71 is a low end shadow mask 17", no comparison. with a horizontal scan rate of 110kHz, it will let you do 1600x1200@85Hz or 1280x1024@100Hz. btw, use 1280x960 instead of 1280x1024 as the CRT is in 4:3 aspect ratio, NOT 5:4.

download this nokia monitor test, see the help for instruction. the "screen regulation" test will check if the power supply is stable, etc.

Last edited:
Code:
btw, use 1280x960 instead of 1280x1024 as the CRT is in 4:3 aspect ratio, NOT 5:4.
Code:

kurtlim, what do u mean by this? U must be a computer scientist or what man,so deep...:confused: I must adjust those resolution on the CRT myself is it? -There's a karung guni man called me offering me a 2nd hand quite a decent condition G420,should i go for it? His asking is $40.

Code:
btw, use 1280x960 instead of 1280x1024 as the CRT is in 4:3 aspect ratio, NOT 5:4.
Code:

kurtlim, what do u mean by this? U must be a computer scientist or what man,so deep...:confused: I must adjust those resolution on the CRT myself is it? -There's a karung guni man called me offering me a 2nd hand quite a decent condition G420,should i go for it? His asking is $40.

G420 for $40? take it.

as for aspect ratio, you can read Wikipedia on computer display standard to have some idea. just about all(except some widescreen, eg. Sony GDM-FW900 24") CRT monitor is in 4:3 aspect ratio--its width divided by its height--1.33:1. the width is 4, the height is 3, eg. a 20" monitor have a width of 16" and height of 12".

if you use 1280x1024--5:4(20:16) on a 4:3(20:15) display, a perfectly round circle will squash/compress to a ellipse or a square will look like a rectangular. the same effect for a 16:9 Plasma/LCD displaying a conventional 4:3(16:12) TV programs, in this case, maybe saying the width is stretched is easier to understand.

Last edited:
i am still using a Radius Pressview 21
only downside is that the LCDs do not see the same thing as i see

on hindsight, one *good* think about LCD is banding detection.
i had this image that i worked on long ago that had very subtle gradient tones.
it shows up nicely on a CRT but posterizes like crazy when printed. amusingly LCDs are able to show banding a bit better due to their disadvantages with a smaller color space. =.="

but of course now, there's something called 'soft proof' on photoshop which minimizes such surprises but back then things were a little more trial and error.

kurtlim,thanks very much for ur informed knowledge & wisdom, i've to research more on what u say otherwise i'll be lost. I'm a bit concern about the cond of the 2nd hand G420,karung guni guy said i'll be the 2nd owner but there's no way i can find out right? Maybe i shld just buy it & pray hard?? If it is spoilt, i think nobody will repair it right? Sony technician will say, "Sir pls buy our new LCD panel." :cry:

i understand what u mean ortega...ur Radius still working?? amazing man..How's ur Tenba bag? hehe..how much? Did u witness the acid attack in Mongkok? :eek:

Hi clown,do u see this banding detection prob with NEC W2690 or Philips 240PW9EB ?? (both are IPS panel) Eizo is OVERPRICED !!

both are good with a decent gamut coverage. the dell 27 ultrasharp too.
but if you can afford, get the HP dreamcolor.

Status
Not open for further replies.