High-end compacts, which will you choose?

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
Basically I'm looking at

S95, P7000, LX5. I know P7000 is the only one that has a viewfinder but LX5 has the fastest lens. I'm in a fix as I'm looking for compact as a backup for my Canon system. Doesn't have to be Canon for the compact but will prefer to have a viewfinder (IQ is also important).

It'll also be great if the prices of each camera can be posted here. Lastly, let me know of any other camera(s) that falls into this category, thanks.

It'll also be great if the prices of each camera can be posted here. Lastly, let me know of any other camera(s) that falls into this category, thanks.

Are you based in Singapore or Europa? If you're based in Singapore, please head down to the shops and get the price yourself. If you're abroad, call or email the usual recommended shops. We're not a directory/price enquiry service.

yah, I don't like the way you are asking, it's like asking us to serve you, this is not a shop!

Anyway, if allowed to choose I will choose the S95.

I've come across also the Samsung TL500/EX1. Does anybody have any ideas on how good this cam is compared to the rest I listed? Would prefer useful post rather than just saying what model you prefer without a reason (specs alone doesn't mean anything to me), thanks.

You should also look at the G12. It can use your canon flashes and ST-E2. Many dials for controls. Only short coming is that it's a little big.

Ricoh GRD III

You should also look at the G12. It can use your canon flashes and ST-E2. Many dials for controls. Only short coming is that it's a little big.

Thanks midicity. I've read about some of the pro-consumers but like what you mentioned, kind of big compared to a high end compact. Nevertheless I'm not wiping'em off my buy list but my preference will still be somewhere along the line of LX5.

Reason for me thinking of a high end compact is that recently it's been pretty busy for me flying for work and it just hurts bringing a DSLR or even a pro-consumer around. That's why I'm asking if some people here (which is the best place where all the experts are here) have real life experience with the cameras I listed with regards to ergonomics, IQ, functions (e.g. view finder, swivel screens, etc).

man, just use your HP, the new N8 got 12M pixels.. cool enough, if you just gonna take snap shot, the hp cam is good enough for you, if you gonna use compacts mean you will not shoot like pro, there will be no different if you shoot with your hp or a compacts, you only need a tools to capture snapshot.

I'd go for LX5 :thumbsup:

I used to own the LX3 and it was great! It could do all that I needed + it also had a flash hotshoe (which some do not have).

I was torn between S95 & LX5. I know both cameras IQ are good. However I have decided to choose S95 because it is small and compact which I bring along everyday to work, clubbing, dinner and outing with friends. If I choose LX5 or other PNS camera larger than S95, I might as well bring my DSLR camera instead. :)

Just my 2ct worth.... :)

I was torn between S95 & LX5. I know both cameras IQ are good. However I have decided to choose S95 because it is small and compact which I bring along everyday to work, clubbing, dinner and outing with friends. If I choose LX5 or other PNS camera larger than S95, I might as well bring my DSLR camera instead. :)

Just my 2ct worth.... :)

Appreciate the input. The S95 is very compact with regards to the models I listed. I'll probably dig more into this cam and try it out over the weekend :).

I'd go for LX5 :thumbsup:

I used to own the LX3 and it was great! It could do all that I needed + it also had a flash hotshoe (which some do not have).

Oh yes, you reminded me that a hotshoe can be pretty useful at times. For my choice of compact, probably I wouldn't be wanting a hotshoe (it'll be good if it happens to have one) cos I'll be pretty reluctant to mount a flash if I'm going light.

I'll consider all aspects before deciding and like what I mention, it'll be a bonus if the cam I decide on has it :)

Sorry to OT a little. Is the Olympus EP series considered a "compact cam"?
I seem many people choosing Olympus EP series over Pro-sumer cams. ;)

If you ask me, I'll probably take a EPL-1 over pro-consumers UNLESS budget's tight ;).

man, just use your HP, the new N8 got 12M pixels.. cool enough, if you just gonna take snap shot, the hp cam is good enough for you, if you gonna use compacts mean you will not shoot like pro, there will be no different if you shoot with your hp or a compacts, you only need a tools to capture snapshot.

I thought about that and in fact I did whip my cellphone cam for quick shots at time :bsmilie:. Nevertheless, I believe the sensor size is kind of small in a cellphone, probably not very good for IQ but it's definitely great for the quick shot!

i heard rumour that the next IPhone will use F/2 camera and have higher iso setting. Apparently from Sony.

if i had to choose a compact, I would look at the aperture, shutter speed and the highest iso it can go. something like F/1.8, can go 1/4000 and iso3200/iso6400. Chances are its going to be a camera you will carry most of the time so best that it has features that you will use.

Last edited:
I just posted a simple review of the Canon S95 in the reviews sub-forum.

You can take a look if you need some info on it. :)

Will add on more as I go along.

S95 so small can bring anywhere use everywhere. Great image quality. Good manual control ring. Battery life a little short, need spare.