High Dynamic Range Images Merging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhiliang

Dec 20, 2006
Serangoon
Hi, i was just wondering, does any DSLR provide onboard the camera, the merging of same images of different exposures to form HDR images?

Thanks

Hi, i was just wondering, does any DSLR provide onboard the camera, the merging of same images of different exposures to form HDR images?

Thanks

not a dslr, but i heard one of sony's upcoming H-series prosumers will have that function.

D80 can combine 3 image in-camera, but the exposures are only 2/3 stops apart....:(

Can that be use to do HDR images? Cos i happen to own the D80 too.... Is it the merging image function?

I just tried and think can only overlay 2 instead of 3 images.

Actually, it is meant for multiexposure. But it does merge 3 exposures with exposure compensation (which is like HDR) into one pic....but the exposures difference is only 2/3 stop apart, so not much use for HDR. Anyway, HDR needs to do some adjustment of the setting even in PS or Photomatix, so, in-camera is not so practical...:)

464939971_0a90def2a5.jpg

Can that be use to do HDR images? Cos i happen to own the D80 too.... Is it the merging image function?

Actually, it is meant for multiexposure. But it does merge 3 exposures with exposure compensation (which is like HDR) into one pic....but the exposures difference is only 2/3 stop apart, so not much use for HDR. Anyway, HDR needs to do some adjustment of the setting even in PS or Photomatix, so, in-camera is not so practical...:)

464939971_0a90def2a5.jpg

Thanks a lot. But can i not use this function but instead, take using bracketing, and then later use image overlay to combine the photos? But seems that image overlay function can only overlap 2 images.

U have answered your own question....:) And by the way, it doesn't help to pull the details together like a proper HDR software.:eek:

Thanks a lot. But can i not use this function but instead, take using bracketing, and then later use image overlay to combine the photos? But seems that image overlay function can only overlap 2 images.

not a dslr, but i heard one of sony's upcoming H-series prosumers will have that function.

The current Sony A100 and the upcoming H7 and H9 have DRO, which is like a "baby HDR". It brings out more shadow detail quite well, but it's not full HDR.

I don't think a full-fledged hardware HDR will work well. You'll get an HDR image, but is it really what you want? Is the tone mapping the way it looks "best" to you?

Putting full-fledged HDR into hardware would remove a lot of the creative freedom "normal" HDR can give you. After one day, you'll switch back to the older processing flow because the results are better.

Agree, thats what I said about adjusting the setting of the HDR.:)

The current Sony A100 and the upcoming H7 and H9 have DRO, which is like a "baby HDR". It brings out more shadow detail quite well, but it's not full HDR.

I don't think a full-fledged hardware HDR will work well. You'll get an HDR image, but is it really what you want? Is the tone mapping the way it looks "best" to you?

Putting full-fledged HDR into hardware would remove a lot of the creative freedom "normal" HDR can give you. After one day, you'll switch back to the older processing flow because the results are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.