Hi....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSY

Jan 18, 2004
This is my first post and first thread... :D juz now went to SLS and saw an aiptek brand camcorder...it functions as a Digital Video Recorder, Digital Voice Recorder, a High Resolution 3.1 mega-pixel Digital Camera, and even to hook it to the PC to be used as a webcam!

details here

can any one enlighten me? is it worth to buy? for a newbie like me? i really a noob in digi photography world.. :dunno: thanks

HSY said:
This is my first post and first thread... :D juz now went to SLS and saw an aiptek brand camcorder...it functions as a Digital Video Recorder, Digital Voice Recorder, a High Resolution 3.1 mega-pixel Digital Camera, and even to hook it to the PC to be used as a webcam!

details here

can any one enlighten me? is it worth to buy? for a newbie like me? i really a noob in digi photography world.. :dunno: thanks
alamak, so dead here arr? or cos today is a sunday? :confused:

If u are really into photography, why not get a dedicated camera? You will be paying for features u might not need by getting it.

HSY said:

details here

Well, I'm a noob too but I think a little bit less nooby than you. :bsmilie: Ok these are just my personal comments lah.

First of all, you would notice it only has digital zoom & no optical zoom. I'll leave it to the experts to explain in detail but very briefly, digital zoom results in poor quality pics when you zoom in. Even though you are a beginner I would suggest at least 2x optical zoom lor. I don't know what they mean by "interpolated" by frankly I find it suspicious that a 3.1Mpixel camera can be that cheap. Must be something amiss.

They didn't have detailed specs but I can assure you the video quality will not be great lah. Generally the video quality of digicams are not great, but for a low end model like this, I somehow expect it to be even worst.

Ultimately depends on you lah. Some ppl feel its ok to get a super low end camera like this & when you become more of an expert then get a better one. Others might feel its too low end even for a beginner.

What is your budget anyway? If I was in your shoes, I'd save up till I have about $400 then get a low to mid end "proper" digicam. Frankly I find this Aiptek not worth it even at that price. If I were you, my main worry would be what if I buy it & the quality is like crap?

Then what are you gonna do? Get another camera? Might as well play safe & get a "proper" camera 'cos at least you know the quality is there.

Thanks!! U reminded me.. heard my teacher say before MUST HAVE optical zoom and digital zoom no use wan(or something like that) wow.... finally i no need go fret over whether to buy or not to buy liao.. u talk also got sense... heng i post here.. :sweat:

wheek said:
Well, I'm a noob too but I think a little bit less nooby than you. :bsmilie: Ok these are just my personal comments lah.
First of all, you would notice it only has digital zoom & no optical zoom. I'll leave it to the experts to explain in detail but very briefly, digital zoom results in poor quality pics when you zoom in. Even though you are a beginner I would suggest at least 2x optical zoom lor. I don't know what they mean by "interpolated" by frankly I find it suspicious that a 3.1Mpixel camera can be that cheap. Must be something amiss.

They didn't have detailed specs but I can assure you the video quality will not be great lah. Generally the video quality of digicams are not great, but for a low end model like this, I somehow expect it to be even worst.

Ultimately depends on you lah. Some ppl feel its ok to get a super low end camera like this & when you become more of an expert then get a better one. Others might feel its too low end even for a beginner.

What is your budget anyway? If I was in your shoes, I'd save up till I have about $400 then get a low to mid end "proper" digicam. Frankly I find this Aiptek not worth it even at that price. If I were you, my main worry would be what if I buy it & the quality is like crap?

Then what are you gonna do? Get another camera? Might as well play safe & get a "proper" camera 'cos at least you know the quality is there.

HSY said:
Thanks!! U reminded me.. heard my teacher say before MUST HAVE optical zoom and digital zoom no use wan(or something like that) wow.... finally i no need go fret over whether to buy or not to buy liao.. u talk also got sense... heng i post here.. :sweat:
Ur welcome. Ya digital zoom basically just takes the image & blows it up. U can even do that with software like Photoshop. Dat's why the image is not clear. My current digicam is a Fujifilm one. Quite an old model. Even though it has 4Mpixels, its zoom is only 2x digital. When I zoom in & snap, the pics look fine on PC but when I develop into 4R size photo, I can see the degration of quality.

Oh & stick to well known brands lah. Honestly brands like BenQ, Aiptek, Ranger, etc are not known for digicams. Stick to renown brands like Kodak, Fujifim, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Sony, etc. You should be able to get a low end one from those brands for around $400 or less. Depends on where u go lah. Some shops like Cathay Photo, M S Colour Service & Alan Photo are said to offer better prices than places like Best Denki for e.g.

wheek said:
Ur welcome. Ya digital zoom basically just takes the image & blows it up. U can even do that with software like Photoshop. Dat's why the image is not clear. My current digicam is a Fujifilm one. Quite an old model. Even though it has 4Mpixels, its zoom is only 2x digital. When I zoom in & snap, the pics look fine on PC but when I develop into 4R size photo, I can see the degration of quality.

Oh & stick to well known brands lah. Honestly brands like BenQ, Aiptek, Ranger, etc are not known for digicams. Stick to renown brands like Kodak, Fujifim, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Sony, etc. You should be able to get a low end one from those brands for around $400 or less. Depends on where u go lah. Some shops like Cathay Photo, M S Colour Service & Alan Photo are said to offer better prices than places like Best Denki for e.g.
Is canon in ur list too?? i also thinking of getting A80.. :embrass: :embrass:

HSY said:
Is canon in ur list too?? i also thinking of getting A80.. :embrass: :embrass:
A80? Wow talk about a jump in price from the Aiptek! :D Canon is not bad. The recommended retail price for A80 is $756 although some shops may sell it for less. For that kind of money, I suggest u explore other brands too unless there is a particular reason why you want the A80.

I'm not saying A80 is not good, just that with that kind of budget, I'm sure practically every brand would have a model or 2 to offer you, so why not just take a look at them all then decide?

But first of all, what are you looking for? What's your priority? Compact size? As powerful zoom as possible? As much megapixel as possible?

wheek said:
A80? Wow talk about a jump in price from the Aiptek! :D Canon is not bad. The recommended retail price for A80 is $756 although some shops may sell it for less. For that kind of money, I suggest u explore other brands too unless there is a particular reason why you want the A80.

I'm not saying A80 is not good, just that with that kind of budget, I'm sure practically every brand would have a model or 2 to offer you, so why not just take a look at them all then decide?

But first of all, what are you looking for? What's your priority? Compact size? As powerful zoom as possible? As much megapixel as possible?
I also duno.. as i say, i m a super noobie... duno wat to get, how to get... i juz wana get a digi camera, so that i can have pic to talk abt.. and also... to learn more abt photo graphy... to take down all pic... sometime i juz walk past something.. then i will think... if i got a digi cam it will be good.. :embrass: Think i will wan a good optical zoom, good mega pixel too.. so that i can share my photos with my frenz.. size... hmm also in consideration but not that impt..

For value for your money, you might wanna consider getting a 2nd hand camera. Used Canon A70 with 3 mega pixels goes for 400+ on this forum, has auto and manual features, and produces good enough pictures. A40s and A60s which are 2 mega pixels are even cheaper and are good enough for 4r prints

BobCheong said:
For value for your money, you might wanna consider getting a 2nd hand camera. Used Canon A70 with 3 mega pixels goes for 400+ on this forum, has auto and manual features, and produces good enough pictures. A40s and A60s which are 2 mega pixels are even cheaper and are good enough for 4r prints
erm.. but dun think i will wana get 2nd hand stuff leh... :(

You can buy your digi cam and stuff at MScolor at Ang Mo Kio or Yishun and Alan at SLS.

I use A70.... :sweatsm:

HSY said:
I also duno.. as i say, i m a super noobie... duno wat to get, how to get... i juz wana get a digi camera, so that i can have pic to talk abt.. and also... to learn more abt photo graphy... to take down all pic... sometime i juz walk past something.. then i will think... if i got a digi cam it will be good.. :embrass: Think i will wan a good optical zoom, good mega pixel too.. so that i can share my photos with my frenz.. size... hmm also in consideration but not that impt..
Hmm, in that case look for a camera that has 3x optical zoom, its one of the most common types. For megapixels, 3 to 4 will be enough. You have quite a few models to choose from. Best to go down to the shop, tell them ur looking for 3x optical with 3 to 4 Mpixel & ask them to show you a few. Then handle them & see how it feels like, etc. Cathay Photo at Peninsula is another place u can check out.

Oh yes, beware of "free gifts". I give you a good e.g. Kodak DX6440 is sold at Best Denki for $672 with no "free gifts". The same model is sold at Cathay Photo for $630+ with free 64MB SD card. That very same model is sold at M S Colour for $699 with "free" tripod, "free" carry case, etc.

In other words, those things are not free. They have been added to the original cost.

wheek said:
Hmm, in that case look for a camera that has 3x optical zoom, its one of the most common types. For megapixels, 3 to 4 will be enough. You have quite a few models to choose from. Best to go down to the shop, tell them ur looking for 3x optical with 3 to 4 Mpixel & ask them to show you a few. Then handle them & see how it feels like, etc. Cathay Photo at Peninsula is another place u can check out.

Oh yes, beware of "free gifts". I give you a good e.g. Kodak DX6440 is sold at Best Denki for $672 with no "free gifts". The same model is sold at Cathay Photo for $630+ with free 64MB SD card. That very same model is sold at M S Colour for $699 with "free" tripod, "free" carry case, etc.

In other words, those things are not free. They have been added to the original cost.
thanks.. maybe later i go to best denki see see.. but think i will only be getting the canon A80..... cos i think i gian that liao.. :D

HSY said:
thanks.. maybe later i go to best denki see see.. but think i will only be getting the canon A80..... cos i think i gian that liao.. :D

Hi,

A brand new Canon A80 is about $650.
Try Alan Photo at Sim Lim Sq 1st floor,
Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza,
or MSColor at AMK.

Those shops are reputable. Try to bargain a bit of course.
Price shouldn't be more than $670 including GST!

Just for reference, thanks!

HSY said:

Just to add, I would advise going to those BIG electronics stores to buy, eg Best Denki, Harvery Norman etc...
Their prices are normally much higher ( at least $50 for Canon A80 ).
And don't think they provide 1-1 exchange within 7 days should anything occurs, like dead pixels etc.

Try the above 3 stores I mentioned, you won't regret. =)

Yongliang said:
Just to add, I would advise going to those BIG electronics stores to buy, eg Best Denki, Harvery Norman etc...
Their prices are normally much higher ( at least $50 for Canon A80 ).
And don't think they provide 1-1 exchange within 7 days should anything occurs, like dead pixels etc.

Try the above 3 stores I mentioned, you won't regret. =)
Urm u said "would" advice. Don't u mean "would not" advice? :D Actually Canon's RRP is $756 but as wat Yongliang said, the smaller shops probably have better price.

But go to small AND reliable shops lah. Not those halfpast six ones! To be honest, my experience with the salesmen at big electronic stores like Best Denki, SAFE & Harvey Norman have been quite bad. Most of them do not know their product knowledge at all!

Honestly, if I were you I'd go to places like Cathay Photo, Alan Photo & M S Colour Service to ask around. Better product knowledge & better price too. Or if u can wait, better still wait for some exhibition. Sure to have good prices with tons of free gifts!

Am going OT here but wat the hey! Like my Canon camcorder. Bought at Sitex 2003 for $999. Came with free extra battery, 5 pcs miniDV tape, tripod, mini fridge, firewire card & carry bag. Now the same camera, Canon's RRP is $1008 & the only free gifts are battery & firewire card.

wheek said:
Urm u said "would" advice. Don't u mean "would not" advice? :D Actually Canon's RRP is $756 but as wat Yongliang said, the smaller shops probably have better price.

But go to small AND reliable shops lah. Not those halfpast six ones! To be honest, my experience with the salesmen at big electronic stores like Best Denki, SAFE & Harvey Norman have been quite bad. Most of them do not know their product knowledge at all!

Honestly, if I were you I'd go to places like Cathay Photo, Alan Photo & M S Colour Service to ask around. Better product knowledge & better price too. Or if u can wait, better still wait for some exhibition. Sure to have good prices with tons of free gifts!

Am going OT here but wat the hey! Like my Canon camcorder. Bought at Sitex 2003 for $999. Came with free extra battery, 5 pcs miniDV tape, tripod, mini fridge, firewire card & carry bag. Now the same camera, Canon's RRP is $1008 & the only free gifts are battery & firewire card.

Oops...sorry, I mean "would not advise" sorry sorry...my bad.
BTW, I agree with what wheek said.
Salespeople at AP, CP, MSColor are more professional and knowledgeable.
But try to bargain a bit, sometimes, even these stores may not offer the best price when u first ask them.

wheek said:

Hmmm... actually in my mind already planning to go bargaincity liao leh.. ok.. tmr i will give a call to all of them and see which one is best..

hmm.. u sure sitex cheaper? got ppl say the pricing then not cheaper leh.. letme go find evidence later post here.. BTW, anyone went to this shop "Magnificent Snap
6 Raffles Boulevard
#02-246 Marina Square
Singapore 039594
Tel: 6338 1976"
buy things before?? heard the salesman bad attitude leh.. today i call also.. the guy pick up first thing say "Hello!" loud loud, as if i owe him money
evidence here

HSY said:
Hmmm... actually in my mind already planning to go bargaincity liao leh.. ok.. tmr i will give a call to all of them and see which one is best..

hmm.. u sure sitex cheaper? got ppl say the pricing then not cheaper leh.. letme go find evidence later post here.. BTW, anyone went to this shop "Magnificent Snap
6 Raffles Boulevard
#02-246 Marina Square
Singapore 039594
Tel: 6338 1976"
buy things before?? heard the salesman bad attitude leh.. today i call also.. the guy pick up first thing say "Hello!" loud loud, as if i owe him money
evidence here
what the guy said

Status
Not open for further replies.