Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kee Huat

Jul 25, 2009
Hi to all,

I've just registered and have a Canon S2iS. However, I realise it has limitations and am considering a DSLR as I'm taking pictures of my guppies. I hope to learn more about photography here from the pros.

regards,
Kee Huat

Hi to all,

I've just registered and have a Canon S2iS. However, I realise it has limitations and am considering a DSLR as I'm taking pictures of my guppies. I hope to learn more about photography here from the pros.

regards,
Kee Huat

What kind of limitations are you running into?

Hi to all,

regards,
Kee Huat

Hi there,

for aquatic photography, you'd do well with a good macro lens and a couple of external flashes for illumination.

If you're interested in taking guppy pics only, I'd suggest that you have a separate tank just for the photography and isolate the fish with a clean background (i.e. black paper) with 2 external flashes on each side linked to your camera via cables or wirelessly.

Read up more on this aspect and you'll get more ideas. :)

Welcome to CS family! :)

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been seeking advice from some of my friends who are keen photographers and have tried to do what they recommend. These are some of the things that they say I should try with my current S2iS.

- I have a small glass tank about 6 x 4 inch where I put the guppy in. I put a black plastic sheet at the back of the tank.
- I use the macro feature on my camera
- I put a light above the tank
- I do not use the flash inbuilt on the camera
- One of my friend covers his tank with cloth so that the fish goes to sleep and then removes the cloth and starts taking shots immediately as the fish are still drowsy and are quite still and don't swim much.

The limitations I face are that my images are not clear (probably because of the guppy swimming about), not sharp enough. Even when the guppy is still, my images do not show the details compared to other photographers who use DSLR cameras.

Do I really need just a macro len or can other types of lenses be used. Thanks for any advice from the pros.

interesting photography subject - guppies

hope you can post your works on this forum in future

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been seeking advice from some of my friends who are keen photographers and have tried to do what they recommend. These are some of the things that they say I should try with my current S2iS.

- I have a small glass tank about 6 x 4 inch where I put the guppy in. I put a black plastic sheet at the back of the tank.
- One of my friend covers his tank with cloth so that the fish goes to sleep and then removes the cloth and starts taking shots immediately as the fish are still drowsy and are quite still and don't swim much.

The limitations I face are that my images are not clear (probably because of the guppy swimming about), not sharp enough. Even when the guppy is still, my images do not show the details compared to other photographers who use DSLR cameras.

Do I really need just a macro len or can other types of lenses be used. Thanks for any advice from the pros.

Dun use plastic sheet for BG. It's reflective, black paper is better.

Light above the tank may not be powerful enough as the wattage should only be about 6 to 9watts. Using a single flash from above may be better in this aspect.

The cloth trick will only work if the room is dimmed and when you turn on the lights and all, you'd only have a minute or two before they turn active again.

You can try again with the flash, but make sure you zoom in far enough to avoid the reflection of the flash or else you can shoot at an oblique angle.

Warm greetings to you..
Welcome to clubsnap!

Just a warning here~

If you just intend to photograph your guppies, maybe better to borrow a SLR from your friends. A macro lens + flashes set up can easily go about 2k... With a Nikon system.. so yeah. big $$$, big $$$....

Welcome, welcome. But wah, you are an ambitious newbie yah... Just only starting already want to take sharp sharp still still photos of half asleep guppies in your water tank...

Thanks again for the welcome. I've been around the shops and I know the macro lens is expensive. Is there another type of lens that can be used instead of a macro lens. I guess my guppy hobby is driving me towards photography so that I can take good shots of them. It's not that I'm ambitious but I've seen good shots taken by other guppy hobbyists and mine doesn't match up.

Here are some of my not very good shots. Please feel free to offer your comments on how I can improve the quality.

YLP24wksoldYellowLace13Jun09T5-15.jpg

YLP24wksoldYellowLace13Jun09T5-3.jpg

The two below are the good ones taken by my friend. You can tell the difference.

RedLaceSnakeskin145wks26Apr08-5.jpg

AlbinoFullRed115wks26Apr08-6.png

Last edited:
Welcome to CS !
Good luck to ur fish shoots ! :D

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi welcome to CS.

I have some shots on guppies with 18-200. no money to buy marco lens so bobian.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

- use a small tank so u restrict guppies from swimming around.
- shoot at night or in a dark room.
- place a flash above the tank.(very impt)
- use F11 or smaller
- be very patience

Btw r u from arofanatic? these guppies r from digichris.

3848086522_d70d28e0f2_o.jpg

3848086446_f8d8e89e2a_o.jpg

3847294971_c61083b72e_o.jpg

Hi welcome to CS.

I have some shots on guppies with 18-200. no money to buy marco lens so bobian.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

- use a small tank so u restrict guppies from swimming around.
- shoot at night or in a dark room.
- place a flash above the tank.(very impt)
- use F11 or smaller
- be very patience

Btw r u from arofanatic? these guppies r from digichris.

Yes, I'm from AF. Are you the one taking the guppy shots for DigiChris. He told me his friend takes the shots for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.