Hi what settings for normally you all use.

Hydro79

Jan 5, 2010
Hi,newbie asking a noobie question:
Normally for walkabout photoshoot or family outing shots, eg taking picts outdoors and indoors, what setting u guys set to? I often hook in a situation whereby I tried (A)perture and (S)hutter settings I need to retake a couple of time. quite bad keep as them to retake....
I dun like Auto settings as to turnout quite crap.
M setttings? but must be damn fast to know what setting u want upon seeing the object u wanna capture which I am still lack in.
Currently I keep to (P)rogram where I only play with exposure and WB settings...but i dunno whether am i on the right track in managing a DSLR.

Everyone has their own style. Every situation or type of photo would require different settings. Every adjustment is different depending on camera and lens and location and lighting and subject etc etc etc etc.

You are looking for a magic formula to bypass practice and experience. There is none. Just keep shooting and keep learning.

To a great extent, it doesn't matter whether you use Aperture priority, Shutter Speed priority, Manual or Program. There is a fallacy that 'pros always use Manual', which is utter rubbish. Use any setting that gets you the results you require most efficiently.

What does matter is having a clear understanding of the basics of light, exposure and how a digital camera works.

It is actually up to you on which one you would like to use. I will recommend the one which you feels most comfortable with and can take the best picture. For me, I usually use Aperture mode for most of my shots. This wil allow me to adjust my DOF for my pictures especially on portrait or still life. When it comes to moving object, I will switch to Shutter mode so that I can either make a moving car look like it is travelling fast or make the car freeze in my picture. Manual mode will only be use if I have time to mingle around.

I often hook in a situation whereby I tried (A)perture and (S)hutter settings I need to retake a couple of time. quite bad keep as them to retake....

Can you tell us what the problem is that make you retake and retake??

Normally for walkabout photoshoot or family outing shots, eg taking picts outdoors and indoors, what setting u guys set to? I often hook in a situation whereby I tried (A)perture and (S)hutter settings I need to retake a couple of time. quite bad keep as them to retake....
M setttings? but must be damn fast to know what setting u want upon seeing the object u wanna capture which I am still lack in.
Currently I keep to (P)rogram where I only play with exposure and WB settings...but i dunno whether am i on the right track in managing a DSLR.

As everyone has mentioned, there is no magic formula to get the right results. You have to practise and practise whilst getting more familiar with your camera.
That being said, there is more to adjust than simply A, S, M modes, and white balance.
What sort of metering mode is used, and where you depress the shutter release halfway to lock the exposure, is also important. See THIS to see why.

During day time or sufficient light, I normally use the Aperture mode as this normally gives me control yet automating the shutter speed.
When it turns dark, I will use the Shutter mode to push a minimum shutter speed so that camera will automate ISO and I don't get motion blur pictures.

Review your bad images and find out what exactly went wrong. Check the exif data to see the camera settings. Determine what you wanted and compare. What exactly makes you not liking Auto settings? Why is it crap?
The better you plan your shootings the less you will be surprised. Idle walking around and waiting for opportunities might work sometimes but it's better to be focused and prepared for a certain type. You don't get surprised and your settings are prepared.

I mainly use aperture mode, only when I use flash, I will change to M, usually 1st few shot is trial shot and sometime it turn out pretty bad. Using m mode when using flash is to keep my shutter and aperture remain unchange despite if cam tell me I am super under-expose or whatever, I only set my flash power and iso to get my desire exposure.

My way is a very newbie way I think, but it ok for me. Who care? As long I get what I want end of the day

there is no right or wrong.

but there are good and bad pictures.

whatever gets you the good pictures, is what you should use.

while i say this, please keep in mind that a firm grounding and knowledge of the technicalities of photography, i.e. aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc.. and changing these parameters - that knowledge will definitely go far in helping you get what you want. else you just end up a headless chicken that doesn't know what is going on.

at the same time, having that knowledge, and then crowing over using M settings all the time stubbornly... and ending up missing the shot, that is called "asking for it". there are better things to do than show off that you use M mode all the time. it is not a must, neither is it a key to getting great shots.

Last edited:

Welcome Hydro79...

As it is mentioned by our more experiencembers, there's no right or wrong in any pictures you have taken. Sometimes a simple touchup in photoshop will do the trick. It's important that the basics are adhered to somewhat. There's no hard and fast rule.

To better understand what you are trying to tell us, why not not post one or two shots here and our friends here should be able to give you a pointer or two. We won't laugh and that's a promise. :bsmilie:

Welcome to CS :)
All modes works well otherwise why are they there for? Did you read the manual? Try to understand how & when to use the different modes.
By saying that you have to retake & retake & they turn out crap, why don't you post your crap retake photos here for us to see? Then we can have a better understanding of what you are trying to say ;)

Think for a start, play ard with A mode, as it controls the DOF and might help u achieve the effect u want. But nonetheless pls read up what each modes it meant for as diff modes serves diff purpose. :)

Perhaps there's more than meet the eye to the problem u are currently facing, maybe posting of one or two pic of the what u claimed to be "bad" pics in A/S mode might shed some light into ur issue...

As a newbie, since you are just beginning to use the camera, stick with P mode first and take the pics.

However, learn by reading the EXIF information of each picture that turns out bad, or good, and remember to either repeat the same settings, or avoid the same mistake and change to a different setting.

Sometimes when you want to capture crucial moments, sticking with P does help as you are just starting out.

If you stick with P mode but meter at the wrong spot, also cannot get the intended exposure :)

Sometimes I get the feeling that newbies think operating a DSLR is only a matter of choosing between P, A, S or M modes ;)

i now got this habit... when using my 17-40 lens... i will use M mode and try with different aperture and shutter speed. But when i am using my prime lens (50 or 85), i tends to use Aperture mode more frequently :bsmilie:

Maybe coz you're obsessed with the f/1.8, so you just wanna lock it there :)

Maybe coz you're obsessed with the f/1.8, so you just wanna lock it there :)

That is so true.

I just got my 35mm Prime lens and I use Aperture mode more frequently as well.

But I do use auto...in case I screw up on my Aperture mode.

Maybe the real question to ask is... "Am I ready for a DSLR?"

Haha, as a fellow noobie I have been trying out my new cam for past few weeks, i realise there is no short cut .... learning what the functions are is only the start of hair pulling times .... i just shoot each scene using all kind of combination apperture, shutter speed ... etc etc and try to learn from there ... beri the tedious ... 90 % of my shorts are either blur, over expose, too dark etc ...