Hi what settings for normally you all use.

i got a friend. he totally adores M mode.

his shots are always over exposed, very badly should i add, or way under. by the time he got a decently exposed shot (which comes with motion blur), we spent 5 min at the same spot.

for streets, i prefer A mode. for sports, i prefer S mode (though i seen pple pull of A mode pretty well for sports).

his shots are always over exposed, very badly should i add, or way under. by the time he got a decently exposed shot (which comes with motion blur), we spent 5 min at the same spot.

for streets, i prefer A mode. for sports, i prefer S mode (though i seen pple pull of A mode pretty well for sports).

Your friend is probably using the LCD review to check exposure... instead of the light meter...

shoot

ooops, too bright. Adjust shutter speed a bit faster

shoot

ooops, too bright. Adjust shutter speed a bit faster again

shoot

etc
etc
etc

:bsmilie:

This kinda thread you can search before posting, so many similar threads around!

My preference,

If the environment is consistent can simply just use manual mode.

P Mode is the second one which will come handy in sufficient light condition.

A/S are the same most probably for effects shot bah. But before you shoot you should already have what in mind you want and prepare in advance.

Like NS, before we go for a training we already have a slight brief through and understand what is needed. Same for camera la! Before shoot, you must load up! Test WB, try settings see which one then move off. So long you are prepared, what settings also can suffice.

Cant imagine you start preparing your settings when you want to shoot ... will faint one! My 2cents

AE/AF lock!

Hi,newbie asking a noobie question:
Normally for walkabout photoshoot or family outing shots, eg taking picts outdoors and indoors, what setting u guys set to? I often hook in a situation whereby I tried (A)perture and (S)hutter settings I need to retake a couple of time. quite bad keep as them to retake....
I dun like Auto settings as to turnout quite crap.
M setttings? but must be damn fast to know what setting u want upon seeing the object u wanna capture which I am still lack in.
Currently I keep to (P)rogram where I only play with exposure and WB settings...but i dunno whether am i on the right track in managing a DSLR.

i think it is best to use aperture priority mode... play with the ISO and exposure compensation... if light is low, use large aperture, else your camera will use longer shutter speed and your pic will be blur.

shoot in raw or raw+jpeg always, so you can change the white balance later if something goes wrong.

if you use a tripod then it is a different story, for landscape and non moving object , use low iso like iso 100. this will ensure you get good quality pics..

it will be good to learn how different exposure will give u different feel or mood to the pics... i usually use -1 or -2 in the night, else pics will appear too bright and it does not look like it is at night...

it's easy lah... just read some articles or books and try try try...

good luck :)

There is a fallacy that 'pros always use Manual', which is utter rubbish. Use any setting that gets you the results you require most efficiently.

I totally agree!

sometimes in a unexpected moment, auto mode will save the day. Sometimes when on a outing with my family and with my camera still in the bag(with the Manual settings from a previous day), and when there's a great moment expected to come up (like maybe my brother's baby boy doing a funny action), i whip out my camera immediately and dial to the auto mode and snap instantly.

Many times,the special moment had been lost because i spent time setting the aperture/speed/iso etc.

So now unless I have the time to do proper settings, for "the moment" shots i will just set the mode to auto

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

#3 THIS ONE I USE AUTO FUNCTION
DSC00820.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

All the above except #3, I used P mode. I still think its not very well taken.
As u can see #3, A mode, the picture came out quite over expose...tats the reason I said crap...

Ok, I saw all comments and point noted. There is no easy way out. I need more time and experimental experience to master my DSLR.

Thanks guys for all ur valuable comments!

pic #3, why did you use a flash? It is outdoors with plenty of light.

I am almost permanently in P mode, gives me the choice of ISO, but still quite quick and easy, and I find, the 5D's P mode seems rather smart.

But if I am shooting at night, in a studio or have more time to mess around. I try every mode hahahaha

Maybe coz you're obsessed with the f/1.8, so you just wanna lock it there :)

New toy mah... :embrass:
I also the same. Die die won't stop down from max aperture even though max out shutter speed already and pictures getting burnt out from overexposure (wth.. pay so much money, ask me to stop down??) :bsmilie: but after initial high, will also lan-lan close aperture to get better pix.

I like to use Program Mode because I can still control the speed, aperture and ISO.

Metering and Focus is generally on Center-Weighted.

Fully manual all the time... maybe need to learn shoot film first?
But I think your friend may be the fastest to learn how to maximize his camera if he can continue to keep this up. Or maybe not :embrass:

...All the above except #3, I used P mode. I still think its not very well taken.
As u can see #3, A mode, the picture came out quite over expose...tats the reason I said crap...

Ok, I saw all comments and point noted. There is no easy way out. I need more time and experimental experience to master my DSLR.

Thanks guys for all ur valuable comments!

Beside selecting the various mode, you must occassionally use different metering/focus setting to control your focus and exposure.