Hi to all!

service168

Jun 30, 2008
Singapore
tws4793.t35.com
It's been almost two years since I set up my account here on ClubSnap, and during that period of time I was mostly involved in school (work) commitments, therefore I'll like to now introduce myself proper.

My name's Wei Shen and I'm currently a student in Singapore Poly. I've been into photography for the past four years and has covered mostly on events, scenery/landscape and transport (which includes buses and planes), so I joined this forum with the intention to not only post photos from my own perspective but to also sharpen my skills on photography.

Even though I won't be able to visit this forum frequently, I hope to be able to have a meaningful stay here. :)

Cameras Owned?

Basically I started off with the Minolta Dimage Xt which my father actually bought for his own use in 2003. (Remember that Konica merged with Minolta the same year in Nov) Starting from there I learnt the basic use of a camera.

Then we had the Nikon D40 which we bought in 2006. I had my first major use with it for a wedding function. Right now I will use it now and then when appropriate (usually when photographing a moving bus). It has been the temporary replacement for my S5 IS when the latter's lens was jammed and had to be sent for repairs.

In 2008 I bought the Canon Powershot S5 IS, then touted by some of my friends to be the "best camera in the prosumer market", especially useful when I want to take photographs of buses. That was where I sharpened my acumen on the various settings a camera provides.

Then came the Canon Powershot G10. Again it was only for my father to use, but I use it for some tests in the same year; since then I've no longer touched that camera.

Besides that I've also handled the Nikon D70 and D80 before; I used them during my school's various important events and functions.

I plan to purchase a new DSLR for myself (preferably a Nikon; Canon also accepted), which is to eventually replace both the S5 IS as well as the D40, though I've decided to continue using the S5 IS for another few years.

Last edited:
Welcome to CS:)For Nikon DSLR,can consider the D3000/D5000 or D90.

Hi welcome to CS;)
Shoot more, post more, ask more n u will learn more!:thumbsup:
Happy Shooting:)

Welcome again to CS:)

Welcome to CS. please join some of the outings. Your experience would be beneficial for the newbies and you can learn more from the seniors.

Welcome to CS:)For Nikon DSLR,can consider the D3000/D5000 or D90.

Thanks all! :)

Yeah, I was thinking about buying those few cameras but I would like to get one of them at a cheap price, preferably not too expensive (should be less than 2k, <1k if better). I've no plans to buy for now unless the price drops to an acceptable level.

hello! i joined this forum the same year as u.. also been campin here for 2 yrs.. and finally i got my slr camera last wk..:bsmilie: still learning! btw, i oso from sp.. ar u in the photography club?

bro, d90? the price has dropped recently....
coz according to your description, it seems that you do have some nikon lens in possession so going back to the same brand is reasonable and cost efficient...

bro, d90? the price has dropped recently....
coz according to your description, it seems that you do have some nikon lens in possession so going back to the same brand is reasonable and cost efficient...
Yeah, I've handled Nikon DSLRs most of the time so I'm more comfortable with them. Only downside is that they produce photos of ratio 188:125 as compared to a Canon of the standard 3:2 (meaning the size of the photos I took from the D40 at its largest is 3008x2000, so being the "ngeow ong" type I have to crop off 8px on some photos to become 3000x2000).

To add: I only have an 18-55mm lens; that somewhat restricts my ablility to zoom far. I can still tap on my current 18-55mm lens if I bought a new DSLR but I'd like to have a lens with longer zoom (up till 135mm for now). They usually come as kits along with DSLRs that are of mid-level type and higher (i.e. D80, D90). So what's the current retail price for a D90 if anyone knows?

Last edited:
welcome to cs. happy shooting.